• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Zealand and Covid 19 update

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Just in case there is anyone on this forum who hasn’t had enough of covid 19 I thought it timely to provide an update about New Zealand’s experience.

We’re in our 10th day of a 28 day lockdown as part of our efforts to restrict the spread of the virus. Its too early to tell how widespread coronavirus will become but efforts to put in place major restrictions appear to have assisted with slowing the spread of coronavirus and allowing us time to prepare for the coming storm.

Although we have 950 cases, we only have one death, and only ten people in hospital (one in a stable condition in ICU). We’re ramping up our testing capacity and now anyone with lower respiratory symptoms meets the case definition and is eligible to be tested.

Government confirms 82 new cases of Covid-19

We’re a relatively small country with 4.9 million people. Just under half of our workforce is not working through the lockdown. The other 53% are either and essential worker and/or working from home remotely.

1.2 million NZ workers thought to be 'sitting idle' at home during lockdown

I’m an essential worker (GP) and am involved in building capacity to test for Covid 19. Most patients are being consulted by phone initially to minimise face to face contact. Hospitals are building capacity so as to be prepared for a likely influx of patients.

I thought I’d put this in the interview so if anyone wants to ask me about coronavirus or anything else within reason, they can.

leov

Just in case there is anyone on this forum who hasn’t had enough of covid 19 I thought it timely to provide an update about New Zealand’s experience.

We’re in our 10th day of a 28 day lockdown as part of our efforts to restrict the spread of the virus. Its too early to tell how widespread coronavirus will become but efforts to put in place major restrictions appear to have assisted with slowing the spread of coronavirus and allowing us time to prepare for the coming storm.

Although we have 950 cases, we only have one death, and only ten people in hospital (one in a stable condition in ICU). We’re ramping up our testing capacity and now anyone with lower respiratory symptoms meets the case definition and is eligible to be tested.

We’re a relatively small country with 4.9 million people. Just under half of our workforce is not working through the lockdown. The other 53% are either and essential worker and/or working from home remotely.

I’m an essential worker (GP) and am involved in building capacity to test for Covid 19. Most patients are being consulted by phone initially to minimise face to face contact. Hospitals are building capacity so as to be prepared for a likely influx of patients.

I thought I’d put this in the interview so if anyone wants to ask me about coronavirus or anything else within reason, they can.
game is on, here is our virus Exosome (vesicle) - Wikipedia

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Any idea how long it is taking confirmed cases to double?

The number of confirmed cases appears to be doubling every week. However the number of these new cases appears to have levelled off in the last week. The majority of cases are still linked to overseas travellers or close contacts as opposed to community spread. So we had an influx of kiwis returning home who tested positive. The numbers of those returning has eased off now and our borders are closed to everyone else except in exceptional circumstances. We don’t want to be lulled into a false sense of security though. However the rapid increase in testing alongside no acceleration of new cases is encouraging.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Any chance you would consider exchanging Prime Ministers with Australia?

74x12

I think that title is sensationalized a bit. If you read it then it says 82 confirmed. Then you read the story and it says 52 confirmed and 30 probable. So it's not really 82 confirmed is it?

People should demand better journalism and no more click bait titles.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that title is sensationalized a bit. If you read it then it says 82 confirmed. Then you read the story and it says 52 confirmed and 30 probable. So it's not really 82 confirmed is it?

Yet, I know (at least where I live) you can test someone and have an answer if they have coronavirus or not in 3 minutes. That's very fast. So what's with the 30 "probables"?

People should demand better journalism and no more click bait titles.

Different countries use different definitions to acknowledge false negatives in the testing regime. So in New Zealand we identify probable cases and take appropriate measures with physical distancing and contact tracing. We want to avoid being in the same circumstances as countries who have not responded quickly enough, are seeing huge losses of life and whose health systems are not coping.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Serious question this time. Is there any reliable information for how long the virus survives on surfaces? I've seen various claims from 20 minutes to 2 days. Should we be disinfecting groceries when we bring them home?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Serious question this time. Is there any reliable information for how long the virus survives on surfaces? I've seen various claims from 20 minutes to 2 days. Should we be disinfecting groceries when we bring them home?

Its important to recognise the potential of coronavirus to be transmitted through contact with surfaces where the virus can remain alive for several days depending on the surface. For that reason meticulous hand washing for at least 20 seconds is recommended often and on returning home. Avoid touching your face as the virus could transfer through mouth, nose and eyes. If out and about its useful to wipe surfaces such as keyboards and electronic banking devices with a disinfectant that contains alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.

On a personal note we’re keeping some of our groceries in storage for a few days before having available in the pantry. I’m also removing my work clothes before coming into my house so as to minimise the risk of infecting family members.

I found this article useful as its based on peer reviewed medical research. It contains some quite specific information and provides clarity about what we do and don’t know.

Here’s how long the coronavirus will last on surfaces, and how to disinfect those surfaces. | Live Science

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

I really think you need to accept that God is telling you to disband and join other countries, dude. Just not Australia, we've already got, like, half of you. Which would be OK if they stayed in Tasmania, but they insist on cluttering up the important bits.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Serious question this time. Is there any reliable information for how long the virus survives on surfaces? I've seen various claims from 20 minutes to 2 days.
2 days would be great ... I read 9 days might be closer

Serious question this time...Should we be disinfecting groceries when we bring them home?
People don't like to be told "You should do this or that ..."

A): Just watch a virus outbreak movie, and see how they deal with it ... Probably that comes close to what we "should do" ... remember it's a virus
B): Just imagine you get a virus on your computer ... Most people know what "they should do" AND they know what they "should not have done"

Nimos

Its important to recognise the potential of coronavirus to be transmitted through contact with surfaces where the virus can remain alive for several days depending on the surface. For that reason meticulous hand washing for at least 20 seconds is recommended often and on returning home. Avoid touching your face as the virus could transfer through mouth, nose and eyes. If out and about its useful to wipe surfaces such as keyboards and electronic banking devices with a disinfectant that contains alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
Its difficult to keep up with how, what and when I think. There are so many different informations, it seems. Found this on CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Have you thought possibly your response to this issue would be better if you started pronouncing "virus" correctly?

And the letter "i" generally?

"Did! Ey thenk ey hiv a veyris, ey hiv ti go ti thi hispetal! Please dreyve mey!" And Dad will just sit there, staring, unable to comprehend you, because no one can understand New Zealanders and you'll never get taken to the hospital. I'm pretty sure this accounts for most deaths in that "country", you know, after the kiwi and feral hobbit attacks.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

It is true the virus is spread on aerosol droplets in a persons exhalation and when they talk. That is the rational of maintaining a 2 metre distance. The virus is less concentrated with increasing distance and less likely to cause infection with shorter exposure times. It highlights the rationale as to why face masks may be protective.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you thought possibly your response to this issue would be better if you started pronouncing "virus" correctly?

And the letter "i" generally?

"Did! Ey thenk ey hiv a veyris, ey hiv ti go ti thi hispetal! Please dreyve mey!" And Dad will just sit there, staring, unable to comprehend you, because no one can understand New Zealanders and you'll never get taken to the hospital. I'm pretty sure this accounts for most deaths in that "country", you know, after the kiwi and feral hobbit attacks.

One of our Prime Ministers, Robert Muldoon famously quipped when a New Zealander crosses the Tasman and lands in Australia the IQ of both countries is increased.