• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New planet discovered

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
30/07/2005 09:34

fd_1020_World_teaser1168463.149x149.jpg

New planet discovered

An astronomer in California has discovered what he believes is the 10th planet in our solar system.

The new planet, currently known as 2003UB313, has been identified as the most distant object ever detected orbiting the sun.

Brown and colleagues Chad Trujillo and David Rabinowitz have submitted a name for the planet to the International Astronomical Union and are confident it will be designated a planet.

The procedure for approving the new planet is somewhat hazy as no new bodies have received that designation since Pluto was discovered in 1930.

Brown said: "We hope that it's fairly non-controversial among those who believe Pluto is a planet. I would say get out your pens and start rewriting the textbooks today."

The planet is located about 9.7 billion miles from the sun and is about one and a half times the size of Pluto, the researchers said.:)

DreamQuickBook

hmmm... I don't know about that. I say we just ignore it for the sake of saving money on changing our text books. But that IS interesting. I'd like to know more about the planet.

Fluffy

A fool
Wow. And we JUST found this out?
Im surprised that this planet was discovered 70 years after Pluto. There have been a lot of scientists who thought that a 10th planet must have been out (something to do with the paths of asteroids etc.) but I don't understand how we are able to take pictures of planets in other Solar Systems yet cannot see all of the ones in our own.

QTpi

Mischevious One
This discovery is really exciting. Below is the news story from NASA.
Article link:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/29jul_planetx.htm?list91506

"10th Planet" Discovered

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Astronomers have found a new planet in the outer reaches of the solar system.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 29, 2005: [/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It's definitely bigger than Pluto." So says Dr. Mike Brown of the California Institute of Technology who announced today the discovery of a new planet in the outer solar system.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The planet, which hasn't been officially named yet, was found by Brown and colleagues using the Samuel Oschin Telescope at Palomar Observatory near San Diego. It is currently about 97 times farther from the sun than Earth, or 97 Astronomical Units (AU). For comparison, Pluto is 40 AU from the sun. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right: An artist's concept of the new planet. [More][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This places the new planet more or less in the Kuiper Belt, a dark realm beyond Neptune where thousands of small icy bodies orbit the sun. The planet appears to be typical of Kuiper Belt objects--only much bigger. Its sheer size in relation to the nine known planets means that it can only be classified as a planet itself, Brown says.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Backyard astronomers with large telescopes can see the new planet. But don't expect to be impressed: It looks like a dim speck of light, visual magnitude 19, moving very slowly against the starry background. "It is currently almost directly overhead in the early-morning eastern sky in the constellation Cetus," notes Brown.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The planet was discovered by, in addition to Brown, Chad Trujillo, of the Gemini Observatory in Mauna Kea, Hawaii, and David Rabinowitz, of Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. They first photographed the new planet with the 48-inch Samuel Oschin Telescope on October 31, 2003. The object was so far away, however, that its motion was not detected until they reanalyzed the data in January of this year. In the last seven months, the scientists have been studying the planet to better estimate its size and its motions.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right: The new planet, circled in white, moves across a field of stars on Oct. 21, 2003. The three photos were taken about 90 minutes apart. Image credit: Samuel Oschin Telescope, Palomar Observatory. [More][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We are 100 percent confident that this is the first object bigger than Pluto ever found in the outer solar system," Brown adds.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Telescopes have not yet revealed the planet's disk. To estimate how big it is, the astronomers must rely on measurements of the planet's brightness. Like all planets, this new one presumably shines by reflecting sunlight. The bigger the planet, generally speaking, the bigger the reflection. The reflectance, the fraction of light that bounces off the planet, is not yet known. Nevertheless, it is possible to set limits on the planet's diameter:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Even if it reflected 100 percent of the light reaching it, it would still be as big as Pluto," says Brown. Pluto is 1400 miles (2300 km) wide. "I'd say it's probably [about] one and a half times the size of Pluto, but we're not sure."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The size of the planet is further limited by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, which has already proved its mettle in studying the heat of dim, faint, faraway objects such as the Kuiper-belt bodies. Because Spitzer has been unable to detect the new planet, the overall diameter must be less than about 2000 miles (3200 km), says Brown.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The planet's temporary name is 2003 UB313. A permanent name has been proposed by the discoverers to the International Astronomical Union, and they are awaiting the decision of this body before announcing the name. Stay tuned![/font]

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems obvious to me that the discovery of this 10th planet is part of the homosexual plot to discredit the traditional solar system comprised of one sun and nine planets.

Fluffy

A fool
It seems obvious to me that the discovery of this 10th planet is part of the homosexual plot to discredit the traditional solar system comprised of one sun and nine planets.
Homosexual plot? *Hides big white magic marker which he used to doctor Michel's pictures* What homosexual plot? :)

Fluffy said:
I don't understand how we are able to take pictures of planets in other Solar Systems yet cannot see all of the ones in our own.
My understanding is that we are not able to take pictures of planets in other solar systems...we can only detect them by observing the 'wobble' in a star caused by the planet's gravitational pull.

I just read about this in the paper...very fascinating. Thanks for the links michel. :)

DreamQuickBook

Sunstone said:

You know too much. I'm sorry, you must now be Knockout

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
Err Quite; I'm sure you are right, Sunstone. Now why dont you just go and have a lie down..............Oh, I see what you mean! The fiendish swine!- Glad you spotted that!:biglaugh:

Fluffy

A fool
Oh that's right, I had forgotten....we had taken pictures of extrasolar planets just recently. I stand corrected.
I was desperately looking for the article online and, whilst coming up short, thought I had gone temporarily mad and imagined it or something!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Wow. Someone can find a new planet but no one can seem to find an alternative for fossil fuels that works on a massive scale.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Okay? Isn't it just possible that they are veiwing Charon??? That was discovered in 1978. And it is doubtful anyway that Pluto is even a planet...considering it's size ( less that half of Mercury) and that it exists in the outer reaches of the solar system along with other icy asteroids(minor planets) about the same size...just more recently found. And Charon and Pluto seem to be in a mutual gravitational grip with each other (appearing to some as if it is a moon) and hold withs Pluto's varying orbit in and out of Neptune's. They seem to act more like asteroids than anything.

turk179

I smell something....
Draka said:
Okay? Isn't it just possible that they are veiwing Charon??? That was discovered in 1978. And it is doubtful anyway that Pluto is even a planet...considering it's size ( less that half of Mercury) and that it exists in the outer reaches of the solar system along with other icy asteroids(minor planets) about the same size...just more recently found. And Charon and Pluto seem to be in a mutual gravitational grip with each other (appearing to some as if it is a moon) and hold withs Pluto's varying orbit in and out of Neptune's. They seem to act more like asteroids than anything.
Nope. Definitely not Charon. It is actually bigger than Pluto which is much bigger than Charon if I remember correctly. You do Know your astronomy though.:jiggy:

You are right about Pluto. There is an ongoing debate in the astronomical community on
if Pluto is actually a planet or not. Nobody can seem to agree on this.

Draka

Wonder Woman
turk179 said:
Nope. Definitely not Charon. It is actually bigger than Pluto which is much bigger than Charon if I remember correctly. You do Know your astronomy though.:jiggy:

You are right about Pluto. There is an ongoing debate in the astronomical community on
if Pluto is actually a planet or not. Nobody can seem to agree on this.
hmmm...okay...I admit I didn't read the link provided. But I do hold that Pluto isn't really a planet anyway...so if there is another one further out...then I would consider that the 9th planet anyway:p

Fluffy

A fool
hmmm...okay...I admit I didn't read the link provided. But I do hold that Pluto isn't really a planet anyway...so if there is another one further out...then I would consider that the 9th planet anyway
tongue.gif
Yeah I agree with you on this. But I just remember that planet is a pretty artificial category anyway and there are always going to be things that blur the lines. For me, rather than it being a case of "this is a planet and this is not" its more "this fits more with the classic idea of what a planet is than this does".