• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New idea for a game.

Theweirdtophat

I would have wanted a game to focus on various religious beliefs and be educational at the same time. Where it's set in a Elder Scrolls like environment and you're a traveler, meeting various different cultures and religious people some who will mistrust you due to your beliefs and some that you may distrust due to their beliefs, but I would want the game to focus on learning the traditions and putting an end to misunderstandings, as that's more often that not, one of the reasons why there is such infighting, because of misunderstandings.

For example, (and it may not even be in this game) But if you walk into an area full of Muslims and you play a Druid, some Muslims will mistrust you and you in turn will mistrust them, but you realize that much misunderstanding is due to propaganda being projected from both sides and causing confusion and hatred, much like in real life, where religious leaders will make up something to drive away competing religions

It could be very political as well, as often it's fueled through political motives and it's up to you to stop it and enlighten misunderstood people so we can all unite. I was wondering what you thought of this kind of idea. Please comment.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I would have wanted a game to focus on various religious beliefs and be educational at the same time. Where it's set in a Elder Scrolls like environment and you're a traveler, meeting various different cultures and religious people some who will mistrust you due to your beliefs and some that you may distrust due to their beliefs, but I would want the game to focus on learning the traditions and putting an end to misunderstandings, as that's more often that not, one of the reasons why there is such infighting, because of misunderstandings.

For example, (and it may not even be in this game) But if you walk into an area full of Muslims and you play a Druid, some Muslims will mistrust you and you in turn will mistrust them, but you realize that much misunderstanding is due to propaganda being projected from both sides and causing confusion and hatred, much like in real life, where religious leaders will make up something to drive away competing religions

It could be very political as well, as often it's fueled through political motives and it's up to you to stop it and enlighten misunderstood people so we can all unite. I was wondering what you thought of this kind of idea. Please comment.
The game needs more substance...but that would make a wonderfull back drop...just need to add some action into it

Theweirdtophat

That's a cool idea, but I agree that it needs a bit more to it.

Definitely. That's just the idea behind it. It would involve a whole lot more including conspiracies, trying to stop people from getting hurt, learning more about their rituals and so forth. It's be sort of like an action RPG game, like a cross between The Elder Scrolls and Fallout. It could take place in ancient times but also in modern life. Which would you think would be better?

Lots of the action involves various weapons, i.e. swords and guns but there are certain rituals depending on your faith that you can use to become somewhat invisible trying to chase you, improving your aim, giving you more energy to fight and run, allowing you to see things others can't see, being assisted by good sprits, angels animal totems, and so forth. But there are moments where you can be diplomatic and not always resort to using a sword. The basic goal is to get everyone who is divided and have them unite and realize who the real bad people are. It's all a matter of trying to clear the fog and get a better understanding of things. There are times where opposing clans will burn down rival temples but then you find out it was a person sent to do it in order to get groups riled up and have them fight each other.

You also would have other spiritual journeys to undertake such as mastering astral projection and get to areas others can't get through, mastering certain rituals and/or spells or energy work. You would go on spiritual quests to find out certain things about yourself and connect with your spiritual allies. These are just ideas I'd like to see happen and wondered what others thought.

Baladas

An Págánach
Definitely. That's just the idea behind it. It would involve a whole lot more including conspiracies, trying to stop people from getting hurt, learning more about their rituals and so forth. It's be sort of like an action RPG game, like a cross between The Elder Scrolls and Fallout. It could take place in ancient times but also in modern life. Which would you think would be better?

Lots of the action involves various weapons, i.e. swords and guns but there are certain rituals depending on your faith that you can use to become somewhat invisible trying to chase you, improving your aim, giving you more energy to fight and run, allowing you to see things others can't see, being assisted by good sprits, angels animal totems, and so forth. But there are moments where you can be diplomatic and not always resort to using a sword. The basic goal is to get everyone who is divided and have them unite and realize who the real bad people are. It's all a matter of trying to clear the fog and get a better understanding of things. There are times where opposing clans will burn down rival temples but then you find out it was a person sent to do it in order to get groups riled up and have them fight each other.

You also would have other spiritual journeys to undertake such as mastering astral projection and get to areas others can't get through, mastering certain rituals and/or spells or energy work. You would go on spiritual quests to find out certain things about yourself and connect with your spiritual allies. These are just ideas I'd like to see happen and wondered what others thought.

I really like your ideas here. It could be very cool.

I tend to be partial to ancient or medieval settings, but there really aren't enough modern RPGs either.
Either could work. Obviously, modern times would involve more deadly weapons and more advanced conspiracies utilizing advanced technologies.
That could be really interesting.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I don't think the action genre would suit a game like this. It sounds too meditative in its theme.

The adventure genre would probably work far better. Besides, if unity and understanding is the ultimate message, violence should probably be kept to a minimum.

You have the ability to put together a prototype?

Baladas

An Págánach
I don't think the action genre would suit a game like this. It sounds too meditative in its theme.

The adventure genre would probably work far better. Besides, if unity and understanding is the ultimate message, violence should probably be kept to a minimum.

You have the ability to put together a prototype?

You make some good points.
Adventure games are among my favorite game genres, and are excellent for story-driven games.
For a more action-packed feel, you could always go with something similar to the Tell Tale Games model.

nilsz

bzzt
I really like Knytt Underground. The game is largely the undertaking of a single man. While it is not the main objective of the game, it explores questions concerning religion in its conflict between the two main factions within the game, inspired by the developer's own experience and reflections. The player does not take the fighting side of either faction, but is at times challenged by questions concerning religion. The answers given do not appear to have any consequences for the progress of the game.

I have at times played around with the idea of making a game, and have some education in programming. At every little attempt however, I realise how complicated the task really is, and how many skillsets are actually required to develop games that you might think of as modest. Typical skillsets involved include musician, writer, artist, animator, and programmer. The developer of Knytt Underground went to great lengths to record sounds and manipulate them for use in his game. He managed to offload the programming part by using a commercial program for creating simple games, and was assisted by a programmer to port his game to different platforms.

If you do not want to make a huge investment in developing a game, you might try making text-based interactive fiction. Text-based interactive fiction is relatively easy to program on your own, and might allow you prototype and flesh out your idea.

Theweirdtophat

I really like your ideas here. It could be very cool.

I tend to be partial to ancient or medieval settings, but there really aren't enough modern RPGs either.
Either could work. Obviously, modern times would involve more deadly weapons and more advanced conspiracies utilizing advanced technologies.
That could be really interesting.

Thanks. :) I like ancient settings but there should be more modern rpgs, However conspiracy games involve more stuff in modern times, yet conspiracy games usually don't take place in an ancient or medieval setting which I thought would be cool because I haven't seen too many games like that. So many choices.

I would like the character creation system to be on par or be better than the Sims, where you have virtually any body type and make your character look white, black, Asian, Mulatto, Mexican ect, have every eye color a human can have as well as hair color, hair style and so forth.

Theweirdtophat

There were other things I would have liked to add, like how you interact with people. For example if you were a Druid enterting a Muslim town and most of them dislike and distrust you, there will always be a few Muslims that have seen through the deception and know you're not really a bad person and will actually help you in your quest. I think it'd be interesting for this conspiracy game to take place in ancient or medeival settuings.

You will also get a chance to learn other religion's rituals and practice them. By doing so, you also understand that a lot of these religions really do have some truth in them. For example, one religion might believe in just one afterlife while another might believe in reincarnation, and by studying them you start to realize that there are afterlives but reincarnation also plays a part in it and that each of those religions to try to help out have a piece of the truth explaining the universe.

Last edited:

vaguelyhumanoid

It would be great if it were set in the real-world early medieval period. Pagans could be open towards everybody but distrusted by monotheists. Christians and Muslims would be generally adverse. Jews would usually be distrusted by Christians, somewhat tolerated by Muslims and viewed very positively by other Jews. I'd make it as an open-world adventure game probably. An action RPG could work depending on the focus, but if the religious mechanics and message are the central theme a more "walking simulator" approach would work better.