• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Horizons Spacecraft Data Shows There Are Far Fewer Galaxies in the Universe Than Thought

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Mistakes will be made along the way but its all about the learning.

New measurements of the sky’s blackness show galaxies only number in the hundreds of billions. Not 2 trillion as previously thought

New Horizons Spacecraft Data Shows There Are Far Fewer Galaxies in the Universe Than Previously Thought

"The earlier estimate was extrapolated from very deep sky observations by NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope. It relied on mathematical models to estimate how many galaxies were too small and faint for Hubble to see. That team concluded that 90% of the galaxies in the universe were beyond Hubble’s ability to detect in visible light. The new findings, which relied on measurements from NASA’s distant New Horizons mission, suggest a much more modest number."

Astronomy advances.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

New measurements of the sky’s blackness show galaxies only number in the hundreds of billions. Not 2 trillion as previously thought

New Horizons Spacecraft Data Shows There Are Far Fewer Galaxies in the Universe Than Previously Thought

So, it's only hundreds of billions of galaxies instead of 2 trillion as previously thought? Oh well, I guess we should be able to get by. Even if humans completely colonize and overpopulate this galaxy, we'll still have some more galaxies to colonize. We'll still have plenty of space left.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I like the idea of "rogue, intergalactic stars"
We know that they are out there. Stars and other stellar objects frequently get catapulted out of unstable orbits and reach escape velocity. We just don't know how many there are.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I hadn't even become used to the idea of 2 trillion. I still have the older estimate of 300 billion in mind (which incidentally is also the new estimate). And it's also the (older?) estimate for suns in the Milky Way galaxy and for cells in the human brain.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We know that they are out there. Stars and other stellar objects frequently get catapulted out of unstable orbits and reach escape velocity. We just don't know how many there are.

Yes, i know, from rogue bits of dust right up to whole swathes of rogue galaxies.

Andromeda is bucking the general trend of everything moving apart and heading our way...

And who said space is empty???

Heyo

Veteran Member
And who said space is empty???
Nobody, and it's a nice thing also. There's about 1 atom of hydrogen in a m³ of extragalactic space, 10 in intergalactic. That makes it possible with known physics (and, hopefully, soon known technology) to travel to other star systems at about 20% c, taking up fuel on the way.