• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Covenant

No, I dont' think so. Or we have this situation to consider.

“Remember the Torah of my servant Moses, which I commanded him at Horeb to all Israel, the rules and regulations. 5 Look! I am going to send to you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awesome day of Yahweh! 6 And he will bring back[g] the hearts of the fathers to the sons, and the hearts of the sons to their fathers, so that I will not come and strike the land with a curse.”

Well, I was hoping to get more responses, but I guess I'll post my opinion:

Jeremiah 31:31-40 states explicitly that the new covenant is to be made with the house "of Israel and with the house of Judah," in which the law shall be "written on their hearts," and apparently the entire world will convert or be proselytes to Judaism (Christians would take it to mean Christianity, and Muslims Islam, but I would disagree with them). That's pretty self-explanatory.

So apparently the Torah is still going to be needed.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I have problems with the term 'New Covenant'. G-d is eternal, and his covenants are eternal.

The Covenant he made with Noah, stands to this day. Judaism did not negate it, Judaism encompassed it and then expanded on it for a priestly people, for priesthood demands more than Noah was capable of.

Shermana

Heretic
No. It is a fulfillment after the current age which leads into the finale of world peace and spiritual understanding and the process which builds it up (a people who will know the Whole Law without being taught perhaps being a sign of a physical miracle). I do not believe the Messiah's death itself was necessarily the New Covenant itself, or the "Real Old Covenant" or the Beginning of a process of a New Covenant which builds into a greater finale but is still similar to just about everything in the "Old" Covenant, which is not negated necessarily.

But it could have very well meant that this small specific movement was itself the "new" or rather "elect" bearers of the title "Israel". There is argument for that too.

I have problems with the term 'New Covenant'. G-d is eternal, and his covenants are eternal.

The Covenant he made with Noah, stands to this day. Judaism did not negate it, Judaism encompassed it and then expanded on it for a priestly people, for priesthood demands more than Noah was capable of.

Exactly. The New Covenant encompasses and expands the Old. "Renewed" might be a more accurate term.