• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New antisemitism

Yerda

Veteran Member
Since yer probably a liberal or lefty of some variety if you're reading this in the liberal forum, you probably oppose all racist, divisive ideologies and such. However, New antisemitism is often framed as a product of the Left and Right. From what I've read, some writers see it as a union between liberals and fascists.

What are your thoughts on this New antisemitism?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I didn't read the entire article, but I have encoutered people who think that any criticism of the state of Israel is anti-Semitism. I think it's ludicrous.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Since yer probably a liberal or lefty of some variety if you're reading this in the liberal forum, you probably oppose all racist, divisive ideologies and such.
Yeah; except the liberal ones, of course.

However, New antisemitism is often framed as a product of the Left and Right. From what I've read, some writers see it as a union between liberals and fascists.

Don't know; I don't have an idea of what you're talking about.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
To think that criticising the policies or actions of Israel is anti-Semitism is absurd.

To criticise Uk government action or policy, does not make me anti-British or a traitor.
In neither case are the two actions in any way related.... they are both about Governments and their policies, not Race.

Inky

To think that criticising the policies or actions of Israel is anti-Semitism is absurd.

To criticise Uk government action or policy, does not make me anti-British or a traitor.
In neither case are the two actions in any way related.... they are both about Governments and their policies, not Race.

I agree. It would be possible to dislike Israel for antisemitic reasons, but that's entirely different from criticizing Israeli policies the same way you can criticize any other country.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Put me down as a critic:
Critics of the concept argue that it conflates anti-Zionism with antisemitism, defines legitimate criticism of Israel too narrowly and demonization too broadly, trivializes the meaning of antisemitism, and exploits antisemitism in order to silence debate.

AslanDesu

Since yer probably a liberal or lefty of some variety if you're reading this in the liberal forum, you probably oppose all racist, divisive ideologies and such. However, New antisemitism is often framed as a product of the Left and Right. From what I've read, some writers see it as a union between liberals and fascists.

A false problem used to attack non zionists if i remember correctly. :yes:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I'm non-Zionist, not antisemitic. The two are completely different. The idea you hate Jews because you don't support Israel is ridiculous.

Yerda

Veteran Member
GeneCosta said:
The idea you hate Jews because you don't support Israel is ridiculous.
Well, yes it is. It's also a bit of a red herring. I don't think the gist is that opposition to Israel is anti-semitic bigotry, but that the two are not always separable. Anti-Zionist rhetoric that takes the form of depicting a Jewish persona of greed or conspiracy is where, for instance, the two might meet.

To me, that is simply old fashioned anti-semitism with a bit of anti-Zionist or anti-Israeli talk thrown in.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The idea you hate Jews because you don't support Israel is ridiculous.
It's also a red herring, and the fact that one can be an antizionist without being an antisemite is irrelevant to the fact that antizionism has become the cause celeb of a new wave of antisemitism. And, as is symptomatic of all bigotry, this antisemitic antizionism is typically marked by a pervasive ignorance of the historical processes the produced 1948, 1967, and beyond.

Fluffy

A fool
Possibly what would be more accurate to say is that people oppose Israel because they hate Jews and people oppose Israel because they dislike its policies. Sometimes people in the first category can look like people in the latter because they disguise their irrational hatred with rational justification. Conversely, this has made many lump those in the latter category with those in the former.

However, I think that whilst it might be technically inaccurate to equate anti-zionism with anti-semitism, it would be equivilant to arguing that "only" 5,500,000 Jews were killed in the Holocaust rather than 6 million. The focus is so off than one must question the justification for ignoring the real issue at hand.

Having said that I have seen a limited problem with regards to people using "anti-semitism" as a way of shutting down inquisitive and exploratory debate something which I can only see as increasing anti-semitism and not resolving it. But then that is a problem that is limited whereas anti-semitism itself, clearly isn't.

I have personally experienced antisemitism from both the Left and the Right and the only thing I find surprising is that anyone would find that surprising. Surely that has been the story for the whole of history?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
antizionism has become the cause celeb of a new wave of antisemitism

I don't see antisemitism on the rise. I see anti-Zionism increasing, and it will continue to be used as an example by real racist so long as people who speak even one ill word of Israel are smeared and attacked by Zionists [President Carter's book is one example]. But criticism of Israel and Zionism in general are needed after they've been removed from the public sphere of discussion for the past 60 years. :) It doesn't help that the government and media IS influenced by pro-Israeli lobbyists, but I wouldn't blame all the Jews for that just like I wouldn't blame most Christians for the fundie lobbyists.

Fluffy

A fool
I don't see antisemitism on the rise. I see anti-Zionism increasing
The reason for this is that people who are anti-semitic disguise their prejudice as anti-Zionism. It is used by them to put an acceptable face on their beliefs.