• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New and oh so confused!

onebadort

Hi there, Iam a 30 year old who did not grow up in a religious household. Although we were taught to believe in GOD, but we have always been wild as bucks and never baptised, saved, etc. When i met my husband, he was brought up in a Baptist household. He too is neither saved, baptised, etc. I have gone to a Baptist church for 10 years now. I don't know what i am, i don't feel comfortable there and don't believe being baptist is for me that is why i have turned to this site for some help. I do believe there is GOD and Jesus Christ and want to say that i am Christian, although i have not been "saved". I don't know the difference in the denominations, baptist, methodist, adventist, etc. can someone help lead me in the right direction? i have searched and searched for the major differences but no one seems to have the answer.........thanks bunches

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Hi and welcome, Onebadort. :) Believe me, you're not the only on here searching...

An excellent site that details many religions and denominations is religioustolerance.org; they have sources about things from Christianity to Scientology to Taoism and everything in between. :D

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
onebadort said:
Hi there, Iam a 30 year old who did not grow up in a religious household. Although we were taught to believe in GOD, but we have always been wild as bucks and never baptised, saved, etc. When i met my husband, he was brought up in a Baptist household. He too is neither saved, baptised, etc. I have gone to a Baptist church for 10 years now. I don't know what i am, i don't feel comfortable there and don't believe being baptist is for me that is why i have turned to this site for some help. I do believe there is GOD and Jesus Christ and want to say that i am Christian, although i have not been "saved". I don't know the difference in the denominations, baptist, methodist, adventist, etc. can someone help lead me in the right direction? i have searched and searched for the major differences but no one seems to have the answer.........thanks bunches

Christian Denomination Selector

Christian Denominations

More information on Christian Denominations

Religion Selector

There is such a thing as being a non-denominational Christian. Most christian denominations do not believe that baptism is necessary. The Standard for being "saved" is to believe that:

A. Jesus Christ is the Son of God
B. Jesus Christ died for your sins and rose again from the dead.
C. Jesus Christ is your personal savior and you are willing to accept him into your heart/life.

You may also want to talk to the Unitarian Universalists here; they are a kind of non-denominational spiritual group that holds no concrete religious dogma, but as a group encourages the spiritual growth of all through love and compassion and tolerance.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello, and welcome! We're glad to have you here!

From what you say, it certainly sounds like one of the Christian faiths would fit you best. There are a lot of people here from several denominations. Maybe they can give you a better idea of what each one believes. I'm know all groups here would welcome questions about their faith, too!

Please feel free to take a glimpse at our article for newer members. If you ever have questions, too, please ask away!

Namaste!

robtex

Veteran Member
onebadort said:
I don't know the difference in the denominations, baptist, methodist, adventist, etc. can someone help lead me in the right direction? i have searched and searched for the major differences but no one seems to have the answer.........thanks bunches
Great to meet you and thank you for including RF in your spiritual journey. I hope you don't limit your spiritual journey to just Christanity but look at others like Wicca, Hinduism, Islam, UU, secular humanism, Taoism, buddhism and the many other faithes listed here. I am not saying don't be a christian...i am just saying as long as you are going to keep your options open, keep your options open.

To have a spiritual journey get a piece of paper or a word pad document. Write down what you believe, including is there a God, an afterlife, a soul, reincaration ect ect.

This link is a great starting point and many of us have taken this quiz. It is a belief-o-matic hosted by beliefnet.
http://beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

If you are really brazen you can post your results here
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5442&highlight=belief-o-matic

I wish you well on your journey and am happy that you have come here as part of your search.

PS what are your hobbies and interests?

A

angellous_evangellous

Welcome to the forum.

Many people admit that they are confused on their first post. They hope for the confusion to end, but it never does. I hope that you sit back and enjoy the company, which is what the forum is most useful for.

Truthfully, the spiritual corcopia that you have stumbled onto is kinda like Burger King, "Have it your way." There are enough churches out there, you are bound to find something that floats your boat.

I am a Baptist minister, and even among Baptists you can find whatever you like. If you are interested in Christianity, I suggest Scripture:

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

A spiritual guide may be in order as well, if you can find a minister who floats your boat.

Good luck and blessings

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
onebadort said:
Hi, onebadort.

Welcome to our website... from one cat to another! I hope you'll find some answers to some of your questions here. If your primary interest is Christianity, you might want to begin by simply posing some of the questions that have been a concern to you. That way, Christians with a wide variety (believe me!) of beliefs can respond as to what their particular denomination teaches. If any of the answers you get feel right to you, you'd at least know what avenue you wanted to explore first. Good luck and happy posting.

Kathryn

QTpi

Mischevious One
Hi, Onebadort. Welcome to Religious Forums. We're happy to have you with us and hope you enjoy your stay. :jiggy:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Welcome onebadort.

If you're looking for a broad range of beliefs and philosophies from which to immerse yourself, you've come to the right place. I encourage you to participate freely within, as you will find able representatives of nearly any and all religious/spiritual beliefs here (as well as a vibrant constituency of non-religious/non-theist/atheistic/rationalist folk).

The Discussion forums are most conducive to genial exchanges that promote understanding and tolerance.

The Debate forums are a bit more free-wheeling, and may invite commentary that provides contentious rebuttal to a given premise, or a more vigorous exchange of divergent ideas/philosophies.

Again, welcome.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Onebadort,

And a big welcome to the forum.

Of course it's much easier than these guys have made out..........

Just subscribe to Christianity (My particular 'Brand' (Church of England)).......:D

Of course, I am joking; take your time. We are lucky here in having some wonderful people who represent their faiths - and wonderful agnostics and Atheists too - you are going to be spoilt for choice! - You va got to make the choice though.

Listen to your heart - it will tell you when you have the right one.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your posts.;)

fromthe heart

Hi and welcome to the forum..this would be the place to be if you need to search out the 'who' of yourself. There are SO many differing views you're bound to find which road you are really on in your walk through this earthly life.

I agree with Kat...ask questions of concern and you'll get lots of answers. There are MANY sects of Christianity here so if in doubt there will be lots of answers to possibly confuse you further but perhaps in all you will find what you seek.

Glad to have you aborad. I'm very familiar with Baptist and it's branches all the way down to independant fundamentalist. If I can be of help to you in any way please feel free to ask.:)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Greetings and salutations! Glad to hear you're confused. Confused people are open to novel ideas. Confused people tend not to be prejudiced or judgemental. Confused people are "as little children," in the words of the Bible.