• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negative Theology

Are you a propoent of negative theology?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• On alternate Thursdays only

• I'm not a negative person

• Huh?

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So are you positively happy with negative theology or are you negative about it instead proposing a positive theology. Or just confused because you enter rooms at the wrong time?

Quantum Mechanics, the Mind-Body Problem and Negative Theology

... Negative theology assumes that God exists but insists that He/She/It/They transcends human language and concepts. Negative theologians try to say—over and over again, and sometimes with great eloquence—what they acknowledge cannot be said.

Negative theology is an outgrowth of mysticism. Mystical experiences, as defined by William James in The Varieties of Religious Experience, possess two seemingly contradictory properties. They are on the one hand “noetic,” that is, you feel you are gaining profound insight into and knowledge of reality. They are on the other hand “ineffable,” meaning you cannot convey your revelation in words.

Mystical aphorisms often emphasize ineffability. “He who knows, does not speak,” the ancient Chinese sage Lao Tzu says, violating his own dictum. “He who speaks, does not know.” Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, a medieval monk, describes mystical knowledge as being “at one with Him Who is indescribable.”

At a session on negative theology, a speaker said he’d arrived by mistake a day early. Upon entering the empty auditorium, he thought, “This is taking negative theology too far.” Another speaker described mystical literature as “that which contests its own possibility.” Negative theology can serve as a model for scientists and philosophers trying to solve quantum mechanics...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not really. I suppose that makes me a fanatic.
I also don't plan on solving quantum mechanics.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So are you positively happy with negative theology or are you negative about it instead proposing a positive theology. Or just confused because you enter rooms at the wrong time?

Quantum Mechanics, the Mind-Body Problem and Negative Theology

... Negative theology assumes that God exists but insists that He/She/It/They transcends human language and concepts. Negative theologians try to say—over and over again, and sometimes with great eloquence—what they acknowledge cannot be said.

Negative theology is an outgrowth of mysticism. Mystical experiences, as defined by William James in The Varieties of Religious Experience, possess two seemingly contradictory properties. They are on the one hand “noetic,” that is, you feel you are gaining profound insight into and knowledge of reality. They are on the other hand “ineffable,” meaning you cannot convey your revelation in words.

Mystical aphorisms often emphasize ineffability. “He who knows, does not speak,” the ancient Chinese sage Lao Tzu says, violating his own dictum. “He who speaks, does not know.” Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, a medieval monk, describes mystical knowledge as being “at one with Him Who is indescribable.”

At a session on negative theology, a speaker said he’d arrived by mistake a day early. Upon entering the empty auditorium, he thought, “This is taking negative theology too far.” Another speaker described mystical literature as “that which contests its own possibility.” Negative theology can serve as a model for scientists and philosophers trying to solve quantum mechanics...

I subscribe to this notion, despite my desperate attempts, sometimes at the cost of my own Sanity to describe said ineffable experiences, they are and remain ineffable. Not fully describable within the realm of language. Not simply that is. LotR does an interesting take on it with the One Ring, being representative of this experience, full of contradictions (size and weight change frequently), yet a desperate desire to have it had by many, even driving them to madness.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things.

Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.

Yet mystery and manifestations
arise from the same source.
This source is called darkness.

Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.

from the Tao Te Ching

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Negative theology does assume that there are things we don't understand, but I wouldn't go so far as assuming god exists. Rather, negative theology is useful for dispelling delusions associated with concepts of god.