• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Necromancy in Christianity.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Christians worship Yeshua. If Yeshua existed he passed away over a thousand years ago. Therefore I think it's safe to say that Christians worship the dead, so is Christianity a form of Necromancy?

Hi! TRUE Christians don't worship Jesus, they worship the only Almighty God- Revelation 4:11- "You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created.”

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Christians worship Yeshua. If Yeshua existed he passed away over a thousand years ago. Therefore I think it's safe to say that Christians worship the dead, so is Christianity a form of Necromancy?
I guess you could say that...

... if you ignore the Resurrection, i.e. the bit where they believe that Christ is no longer dead, probably the most important tenet of Christianity.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
But Christians hold Jesus as defeating death, not as being dead. To snip-quote someone who once preached at me, "Buddha is dead but Jesus is ALIVE!". (Heh. :D)

Excluding this, I don't think so. Christians don't really perform any ceremonies to bring Jesus back from the dead, or to bring others back from the dead, or anything like that.

gzusfrk

Christian
True christians worship Jesus, John 5:23, 1 John 2:23. Jesus is alive and setting at the right hand of God, but I see what you mean.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
But Christians hold Jesus as defeating death, not as being dead. To snip-quote someone who once preached at me, "Buddha is dead but Jesus is ALIVE!". (Heh. :D)

Excluding this, I don't think so. Christians don't really perform any ceremonies to bring Jesus back from the dead, or to bring others back from the dead, or anything like that.
Praying for Yeshua to come into your life could be considered a ceremony or ritual. I think Yeshua is dead so praying for his spirit to come into your life is praying to the dead.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Praying for Yeshua to come into your life could be considered a ceremony or ritual. I think Yeshua is dead so praying for his spirit to come into your life is praying to the dead.

If you believe Jesus is dead, it would be more like necromancy, but Christians generally don't believe Jesus is dead from my experience. :)

Twig pentagram

High Priest
If you believe Jesus is dead, it would be more like necromancy, but Christians generally don't believe Jesus is dead from my experience. :)
You're right, christians believe Yeshua was resurrected. The questions was for everyone though not just christians.

Jeremiah

Necromancy is a form of magic used to summon spirits of the dead for divination. Necromancers don't worship the dead, so in that sense they are not necromancers. Maybe if you considered them as using the spirit of Jesus to foresee the future or other insights.

Last edited:

Erebus

Necromancy is a form of magic used to summon spirits of the dead for divination. Necromancers don't worship the dead, so in that sense they are not necromancers. Maybe if you considered them as using the spirit of Jesus to foresee the future or other insights.

Yep, that's correct.

As far as I'm aware, there are a few groups who believe in Christian mythology and hold seances and such. These groups could perhaps be considered Necromantic Christians, but they are a minority.

Jeremiah

Yep, that's correct.

As far as I'm aware, there are a few groups who believe in Christian mythology and hold seances and such. These groups could perhaps be considered Necromantic Christians, but they are a minority.

And what about those who use the Bible -- which is commonly said to only be understandable when you accept the spirit of Christ -- to predict the the coming of Judgment Day?

Twig pentagram

High Priest
It doesn't really matter what you believe, it matters what christians believe. If you're going to argue that way then they might even be worshipping someone who never existed in the first place. What's your point?
The question was for EVERYONE not just christians. Secondly, my point is for people like me who don't think Yeshua was resurrected, the act of worshipping and calling for his spirit to come and help you in your life is basically worshipping the dead.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Yep, that's correct.

I apologize for the confusion but Necromancy was the only word that I could find that basically sumed up worshipping the dead.

Commoner

Headache
The question was for EVERYONE not just christians. Secondly, my point is for people like me who don't think Yeshua was resurrected, the act of worshipping and calling for his spirit to come and help you in your life is basically worshipping the dead.

But the question was if Christianity was a form of Necromancy. This depends on whether or not Christians believe Jesus to have been resurrected. They can't be said to "worship the dead" if they're simply mistaken as to the nature of things, that would be quite disingenuous.

Last edited: