• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

near death experiences

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Hi to one and all, have any of you ever had a near death experience, I have heard that most of those who have experienced it, have been getting some form of surgery at the time, In my mums case, she had went to the dentist thinking she was getting one tooth removed, when she woke up from the Gas, she was in shock to discover the dentist had whipped all her teeth out due to gum desease, anyway my point being, when my mum got home she was very deeply upset, [her teeth where her pride and joy] and went to her bed, she said she felt herself floating out of her body, she remembered saying " Dear God, please don't take me just now, I have two kids to rare " she then felt herself coming back down again..At first she thought it was a dream and a few months later, some famous comedian's wife came out and apparently experienced the same floating experience..

I would like to hear your stories and thoughts on this subject, it is always something that has facinated me..I have watched a few TV Programmes on it too..Thanks... :D

jonny

I have not personally had one, but I have a very good friend who did. She was only five years old at the time and had been caught in a fire that ended up burning about 70% of her body. I have heard her tell her story many times and it is one of the most powerful witnesses of Christ that I have ever heard. Just the thought of what she went through and how he comforted her brings tears to my eyes.

I don't know much about near death experiences, but I know that Sage isn't a liar and that the experience she had has inspired hundreds, if not thousands of people. This is the most amazing person I have ever met in my life. Although she is burned and scarred from head to foot, I love the words that a girl used to describe her after hearing her story. She said, "Today I met the most beautiful person I have met in my entire life."

This is a story that was printed in our church magazines that tells her story

There was a recent article about her that you can read here: http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19858_3796207,00.html

Ryan2065

Also alot of fighter pilots have had near death experiences when they are in training. The brain is put under the right conditions to make it start the NDE daydream. These experiences are identical to other patients and can be recreated.

Also, most NDE's always agree with the persons religion, so many of them are different. This leads me to believe that they are just things the brain imagines when it is asleep.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
jonny said:
I have not personally had one, but I have a very good friend who did. She was only five years old at the time and had been caught in a fire that ended up burning about 70% of her body. I have heard her tell her story many times and it is one of the most powerful witnesses of Christ that I have ever heard. Just the thought of what she went through and how he comforted her brings tears to my eyes.

I don't know much about near death experiences, but I know that Sage isn't a liar and that the experience she had has inspired hundreds, if not thousands of people. This is the most amazing person I have ever met in my life. Although she is burned and scarred from head to foot, I love the words that a girl used to describe her after hearing her story. She said, "Today I met the most beautiful person I have met in my entire life."

This is a story that was printed in our church magazines that tells her story

There was a recent article about her that you can read here: http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19858_3796207,00.html

What a sad story Jonny, thanks for sharing, sage is a outstanding little girl, It must have been awful for her and the agony she must have went through is beyond my imagination..

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Ryan2065 said:
Also alot of fighter pilots have had near death experiences when they are in training. The brain is put under the right conditions to make it start the NDE daydream. These experiences are identical to other patients and can be recreated.

Also, most NDE's always agree with the persons religion, so many of them are different. This leads me to believe that they are just things the brain imagines when it is asleep.

Hi Ryan, I have heard of that too, I watched a programme were these guys go into this thing and it gets faster and faster until they just about pass out.would that be what your talking about ? Also I have heard that the brain is the last part to die so some say a lot of it comes from there... :)

Ryan2065

glasgowchick said:
Hi Ryan, I have heard of that too, I watched a programme were these guys go into this thing and it gets faster and faster until they just about pass out.would that be what your talking about ? Also I have heard that the brain is the last part to die so some say a lot of it comes from there...
Right, but the fighter pilots have the NDE's and they are never near death, they aren't even officially dead at any time.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ryan2065 said:
Right, but the fighter pilots have the NDE's and they are never near death, they aren't even officially dead at any time.
Oh, trust you to go and spoil the story Ryan..........:biglaugh:(even if it is a valid point)

jonny

Ryan2065 said:

I would tend to agree with you, but I have also heard evidence that supports some out-of-body experience. I went to a NDE conference and they were talking about experiences where people were able to describe things in the room that they would not have been able to see unless they were above their body. I just put this in the "I don't know" category and give people the benefit of the doubt.

The information about pilots is interesting. Do you know of a resource or an article with more information?

cardero

Citizen Mod
I appreciate that similiar details that are uncovered from people who have them but are unaware of the phenomenon. I think this lends credible value to the subject of NDE's.

nutshell

Ryan2065 said:

Actually, according to the information and research studied during a death and dying class NDE's were always similar regardless of religion, age, culture, life experiences, etc.

Ryan2065

http://skepdic.com/nde.html

Here is some info on the fighter pilots. Jonny, normally people describe a normal hospital room. If you didnt notice, most hospital rooms look the same, just like they do on TV. Also, lets say 100 people have nde's, just because 5 of them get what the room looked right and the other 95 didn't doesnt mean that they actually saw it, just that they guessed right.

cardero said:
I appreciate that similiar details that are uncovered from people who have them but are unaware of the phenomenon. I think this lends credible value to the subject of NDE's.
Huh? So because people do not know about NDE's but still have them that is evidence? You do realize this is something your subconscious does, not your conscious mind.... You only have had to of heard of the possibility of an afterlife to get one of these.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Ryan2065 said:

Hi, So what is it that is actually going on in their brain, is it like lack of oxgen or something like that ?..Again when my step father was in hospital seriously ill, My mum went up to to see him, The nurse asked my mum if my step dad was an alcoholic, she said no that he wasn't and the nurse replied that he seemed very edgy, anyway after he recovered my mum told him what the nurse had said, my step dad remembered what that incident was and told my mum that he felt himself getting pulled along a dark corrider, he said he saw no light but remembered struggling and say that no he wasn't going and fought to come back..Anyway since I have never experienced NDE, I am open to all possibilites..This is just something i have been fascinated with..I shall have a look at that website you posted..thanks.. :)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Ryan2065 said:
Huh? So because people do not know about NDE's but still have them that is evidence? You do realize this is something your subconscious does, not your conscious mind.... You only have had to of heard of the possibility of an afterlife to get one of these.
Whether it is subconscious or conscious, I would think that most people would have a different perspective or at least dissimilar journeys.

Some things to consider:

*People who go through a near death experience describe the actual conversations and procedures the doctors and nurses are going through after the patient is dead. Hospital interiors can be replicated but I doubt nurses and doctors are subjected to following their emotional reactions and exclamations to a prescribed script.

*Many people of all religious and non-religious backgrounds have experienced this. The near death experience is a non-denomination phenomenon.

*Everyone is deeply affected on a spiritual level. There may be many people who don’t step forward with their experiences but on some level their lives have been changed.

Again, this does not prove or disprove the near death experience but it does give us enough to consider a serious study of this phenomenon.

Ryan2065

glasgowchick said:
Again when my step father was in hospital seriously ill, My mum went up to to see him, The nurse asked my mum if my step dad was an alcoholic, she said no that he wasn't and the nurse replied that he seemed very edgy, anyway after he recovered my mum told him what the nurse had said, my step dad remembered what that incident was and told my mum that he felt himself getting pulled along a dark corrider, he said he saw no light but remembered struggling and say that no he wasn't going and fought to come back..Anyway since I have never experienced NDE, I am open to all possibilites..This is just something i have been fascinated with..I shall have a look at that website you posted..thanks..
smile.gif
Having someone diagnose themselves with a NDE is like having a schizophrenic diagnose himself... It just doesn't work.

glasgowchick said:
Hi, So what is it that is actually going on in their brain, is it like lack of oxgen or something like that ?
Yea im pretty sure its the lack of oxygen that can trigger a NDE.

Ryan2065

cardero said:
Whether it is subconscious or conscious, I would think that most people would have a different perspective or at least dissimilar journeys.
As I have stated before, most people have experiences similar to their own religion's view of life after death.

cardero said:
*People who go through a near death experience describe the actual conversations and procedures the doctors and nurses are going through after the patient is dead. Hospital interiors can be replicated but I doubt nurses and doctors are subjected to following their reactions and exclamations to a prescribed script.
Do you have any proof of someone saying the exact method that doctors used on them after they officially died when there would be no way that a normal person could know this? I have found none.
cardero said:
*Many people of all religious and non-religious backgrounds have experienced this. The near death experience is a non-denomination phenomenon.
Again, they have not all experienced the SAME NDE, they are mostly different.
cardero said:
*Everyone is deeply affected on a spiritual level. There may be many people who don’t step forward with their experiences but on some level their lives have been changed.
This proves nothing... Just because someones life was changed by an event doesn't make it spiritual in nature. If this were the case ALL religions would be right, because all religions change peoples lives on a spiritual level in some way.
cardero said:
Again, this does not prove or disprove the near death experience but it does give us enough to consider a serious study of this phenomenon.
Until you have some evidence for the things you have stated I cannot take them as facts. Please present some evidence so I can go over it.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Ryan2065 said:
Having someone diagnose themselves with a NDE is like having a schizophrenic diagnose himself... It just doesn't work.

Yea im pretty sure its the lack of oxygen that can trigger a NDE.

LOL!!!!!!!!, I don't think my step dad diagnosed himself with a NDE, He just recalled being pulled along somewhere and didn't want to go, My point being, in both cases my mums and my step dads, both of them had anithesetic, [excuse my spelling please] so I was just wondering if it could have been a side affect..So do you think that with the lack of oxyen to the brain could cause a dream like state before death, could that be possible too.. :)

Ryan2065

glasgowchick said:
My point being, in both cases my mums and my step dads, both of them had anithesetic, [excuse my spelling please] so I was just wondering if it could have been a side affect..So do you think that with the lack of oxyen to the brain could cause a dream like state before death, could that be possible too..
Anytime you are in a "dream like" state, you are capable of, well dreams... When you are in a hospital in the operating room, you are very scared that you are going to die. So, naturally, you will more than likely have dreams either about death, or about almost dieing, just because of your current state. I'd say this is what most, if not all, NDE's are. =) Just my own view.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
cardero said:

Some things to consider:

*People who go through a near death experience describe the actual conversations and procedures the doctors and nurses are going through after the patient is dead. Hospital interiors can be replicated but I doubt nurses and doctors are subjected to following their emotional reactions and exclamations to a prescribed script.

Hi cardero, thanks for your thoughts on this, as I have said, I am open to everything about this, wether it does or does not happen..I have watched programmes and there are people on there speaking of other places, or walking around a garden, I mean they are very specific on whats going on around them..As ryan stated about religon, I have heard ones saying they have found themselves in torment and when they come back from wherever they change their lives totally.. ;)

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Ryan2065 said:
Anytime you are in a "dream like" state, you are capable of, well dreams... When you are in a hospital in the operating room, you are very scared that you are going to die. So, naturally, you will more than likely have dreams either about death, or about almost dieing, just because of your current state. I'd say this is what most, if not all, NDE's are. =) Just my own view.

Hi Ryan, thanks again for your thoughts, are there any evidence that the experiences don't happen, Are there anyway of proving they do happen..I hear what your saying about the dream state and your right about the hospital operating room.. I know when Im going in for a op I am scared but haven't experienced anything strange that I am aware of..Oh I also read something on line a while back about a doctor who didnt believe in Life after death until he had this experience with a patient..I will see If I can find it..Just when you mentioned about religon it brought it back to my mind..If I can find it I will try post it, and if you don't mind I would like your opinion on it.. :)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Ryan 2065 writes: As I have stated before, most people have experiences similar to their own religion's view of life after death.
What religion has doctrine that supports hovering over your body after death or moving quickly in a tunnel toward a light or meeting passed loved ones? Why are people who have survived a near death experience surprised that angels don’t have wings?
Ryan 2065 writes: Do you have any proof of someone saying the exact method that doctors used on them after they officially died when there would be no way that a normal person could know this? I have found none.
I can only offer you what I have read or heard. But these people have documented the proof that you seek.
Sir William Barrett-Professor Of Physics

Dr. Karlis Osis

Charles Hampton

Ryan 2065 writes: Again, they have not all experienced the SAME NDE, they are mostly different.
Hovering over the body, tunnel with the light at the end, meeting with the recently departed, same symptoms, same NDE, different religion. I know of a baptized Jehovah’s Witness who discontinued his membership from his congregation after having one of these experiences because it did not conform with his past beliefs.
Ryan 2065 writes: This proves nothing... Just because someones life was changed by an event doesn't make it spiritual in nature. If this were the case ALL religions would be right, because all religions change peoples lives on a spiritual level in some way.
The near death experience is not a religion, it transcends religion. Even atheists have had near death experiences, (some have converted to a religion and some have not).The most important significance to the near death experience is that it quickly (almost overnight) reaffirms someone's life and takes away the fear of death. There is no religion that I know of that offers this opportunity as quickly and as efficiently.
Ryan 2065 writes: Until you have some evidence for the things you have stated I cannot take them as facts. Please present some evidence so I can go over it.
I understand. I can send you some books but I believe one of the best sources would be the internet and to contact and speak to someone who is in the field of studying near death experiences. How far you plan on going with your research is up to you. But if you are like me, you will weigh both the pro and the con and if you are like me, you will begin to see that there is much evidence leaning toward the validity that these experiences are real, that they are being reported by credible (sometimes unbiased) witnesses and that the matter deserves a more intense study than whatever attention it has been given so far.
http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa021901a.htm
http://www.near-death.com