• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC and the "Pledge of Allegiance"

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Only pledging we're actually doing is pledging to pay taxes. Where's the liberty and justice for all when we are actually "controlled" by how Wall St. dictates our economy?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Only pledging we're actually doing is pledging to pay taxes. Where's the liberty and justice for all when we are actually "controlled" by how Wall St. dictates our economy?

If Wall Street dictated our economy, everyone would be flush with cash.

My question to all the young people is, why do you feel the need to wait on the economy to provide you with a job?

The biggest injustice is when people believe they must work for someone else.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I know your kidding, but my question is, why would anyone need to hide their beliefs if they are Muslim?
Because the Religious Christian Right, along with conspiracy theorists and Islamaphobes, would crucify (metaphorically if not literally) a President who admitted to Islamic beliefs.

If Obama came out tomorrow and admitted to being a closet Atheist, I doubt he would have a snowballs chance in hell of being reelected.

(Pity)

Warren Clark

Informer
doppelgänger;2497215 said:
Personally, I think pledging allegiance to a flag is ridiculous to begin with.

Well it should be "I pledge allegiance to the United States of America" rather than that the flag of....
Its a symbolism of your allegiance to the goverment of which you live in/by.

I agree that it should be edited.

Legally you don't have to say it and no one can make you say it. :)
I love the Constitution. <3

gnomon

"NBC must remedy this abuse by airing a series of public service announcement(s) with the entire Pledge of Allegiance," read an e-mail blast sent Tuesday from council President Tony Perkins.

"Please join me in contacting NBC and demanding that the network air a daily public service announcement with the entire Pledge of Allegiance."

The Washington-based Family Research Council says its mission is to advance "faith, family and freedom in public policy and public opinion." The group is best known for its strong objections to same-sex marriage and abortion. It's a powerful political force among conservative evangelicals.

check out some of the responses
"JAMES
i am surprised the liberals haven't submitted a bill to change the words to under..satan."
June 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm

JustJosh
Our Founding Fathers added God to the pledge in 1954, and I will NOT stand by and let y'all devil worshippers restore the pledge to its Constltutionally-correct format! Gays, too... Definitely something about them gays!

June 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
:facepalm:

NBC apology on Pledge of Allegiance doesn't satisfy Family Research Council &#8211; CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

The FRC is a group of *edit*.

You can add in Senator Dan Coats (R-Dip****sville) who wants an investigation of the incident.

Last edited by a moderator:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How sad and disrespectful it is to not show respect for the county you live in and the people who have sacrificed themselves for it. I'm not even American and I'm offended at the lack of respect.
"Under God" was added to the Pledge in the '50s. If you wanted to commemorate the sacrifice of, say, those who died in WWII, which would be more appropriate: the version of the Pledge that they would've said themselves, or the later revision?

If you don't want to show allegiance to your flag and country you should just find somewhere else to live. To the men and women of Canada and the USA who have served for my benefit I am thankful to you all. It's time to show some respect. And if it offends people because the Pledge of Allegiance shows respect to God then that's too bad as well.
FWIW, when I sing O Canada, I use the original version, too... the one that goes "O Canada, glorious and free", rather than the revised version that goes "God keep our land glorious and free".

I've also stopped singing the explicitly - and IMO absurdly -Christian French version ("as thy arm has carried the sword, so shall it carry the cross", etc.) altogether. And unfortunately, the most common bilingual version of O Canada switches to the French right in time for the worst parts of it.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
The FRC is a group of *edit*.

You can add in Senator Dan Coats (R-Dip****sville) who wants an investigation of the incident.

it's a move done purely on the basis of panic and insecurity...
mccarthyism comes to mind

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakhel

I don't understand why it appears so hard for some people to understand what Kathryn is saying. Look, everyone has freedom of religion. That statement alone means that everyone has the freedom to decide what they do and don't believe in and no one is forced or expected to go to a certain church or believe a certain way. You have as much a right to not believe in any concept of deity as she has to believe in a monotheistic deity and I have to believe in a panentheistic/polytheistic view of deity. No one, however, has a right to be free from being exposed to different religions. You will always be exposed to different beliefs, just as others are exposed to your criticism of those beliefs. You have no right to be free from my personal expression of my religion by insisting that I not wear my pentacle in public or even have a ritual in a public park. You have no right to not be exposed to Kathryn perhaps praying beside you on a bus. Religion, in some form or another, will always be around you and you will always be exposed to it BECAUSE people have freedom of religion to believe and worship as they desire. I have freedom of religion to believe how I want, but I do not have freedom "from" religion because that would impede others' freedom "of" religion. I hope you understand this concept now, or are some still going to insist that "of" and "from" are the same thing?
I don't think I could have said it better....In fact, I know I couldn't have said it better. :clap

Sententia

I don't think I could have said it better....In fact, I know I couldn't have said it better. :clap

Cool but including under god in the pledge and forcing atheists to say it or wait outside the classroom is not what america is about.

I waited outside many classrooms and endured enough after school antics (And in school antics) to understand that and I was a Christian then and not an atheist. (Jehovah Witness)

I am not against you praying or having your own personal beliefs but the pledge is a lot deeper than that... Search the news and look at students and the pledge... I normally, as I recall, had to wait in the hall as I refused to stand... There was a grade I recall that let me sit and not participate...

I can only reflect on bloody noses, sore knuckles and bruised ribs and students muttering insults (and in 1 case a teacher) as I walked out of home room so the sheep could recite their pledge.

Frankly if you want my opinion... Anyone that thinks its a good idea to make kids conform to their religious view to prove their patriotism to america is a moron. The idea that its voluntary and you can wait outside the classroom is nice in theory but the realistic results are ignored. (Or justified.)

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Because the Religious Christian Right, along with conspiracy theorists and Islamaphobes, would crucify (metaphorically if not literally) a President who admitted to Islamic beliefs.

If Obama came out tomorrow and admitted to being a closet Atheist, I doubt he would have a snowballs chance in hell of being reelected.

(Pity)
You don't believe he has much chance of being reelected anyway do you? :D

Just exactly what was the change we can believe in anyway?

What changed?

What is going to be his mantra this time?

Four more years of the same?

Give me another chance?

I'm not George W. Bush?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Yes, I do.;)
I wonder what his campaign slogan will be this time?

Actually I hope Obama does get reelected. That will mean the economy turned around next year. If we slip into a double dip recession, no way he will make it.

It's all about the economy this next election. People would vote for the devil if they thought they would get a good job out of it.

Rakhel

I wonder what his campaign slogan will be this time?

Actually I hope Obama does get reelected. That will mean the economy turned around next year. If we slip into a double dip recession, no way he will make it.

It's all about the economy this next election. People would vote for the devil if they thought they would get a good job out of it.
His next campaign slogan will be "HOPE"

As in" I HOPE I will get re-elected."