• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Natural vs Supernatural

St Giordano Bruno

Just wanted to do a head count, can people list supernatural answers that have been replaced by naturalistic ones and visa versa.

To my knowledge this will be a bit one sided but I guess it leads me to ask what makes supernatural assumptions likely given the poor track record of such assumptions.

Lightning is a good standout where for centuries people believed they were caused by the very finger of God. Now we have perfectly natural explanations for lightning but lighting and God are quoted frequently in our language vernacular to this day – often in the same sentence.

horizon_mj1

Just wanted to do a head count, can people list supernatural answers that have been replaced by naturalistic ones and visa versa.

To my knowledge this will be a bit one sided but I guess it leads me to ask what makes supernatural assumptions likely given the poor track record of such assumptions.
I think there is a very thin veil between Natural and Supernatural. I believe when we die our energies used to sustain the former Human life is "transformed" and "cleansed"; this being done through nature. I do not necessarily believe in Reincarnation as most, but see it as someone not fulfilling what they needed to in a former life or not learning what they were meant to learn (both creating a "reason" for Reincarnation). All Elements (Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Energy) have specific impacts on Humanity and how life is conducted on Earth; Humans being the dominate species hold the responsibility of its continuum even in Death, until the Laws once again change:rolleyes: I'm not sure if this is the type of explanation you wanted, but it is the best I can offer; what do you think?

I would like to add from personal experiences what some call coincidence; when coincidence is a continual process in your personal life, IMO they need to be considered; life should have taught us all by now, things are not always what they seem;)

horizon_mj1

Lightning is a good standout where for centuries people believed they were caused by the very finger of God. Now we have perfectly natural explanations for lightning but lighting and God are quoted frequently in our language vernacular to this day – often in the same sentence.
Speaking of this (Lightning); is it not an ironic coincidence that after the "Casey Trial" (she was found not guilty) Caylee's memorial was struck by Lightning (I thought that was too cool:p)

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Do you believe in light? You couldn't read this without light. In 1John1:5 it says, "God is light". Science knows that light is energy. God is energy. There are two things in the universe: energy and "information". and information is the conformation of energy.
We got consciousness in finite time. In our brains, consciousness was caused by the capacitance and ectropy of the arising reticular formation of the medulla oblongata, which is simply the interference of information by virtue of the inevitability of orthogonality.
The First Law of Thermodynamics is, "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed". Energy is eternal. Certainly, in eternity it is inevitable that information would cause energy (God) to be conscious. Would you think that God doens't want boredom? That is why He doesn't interfere with free will.
To answer another question, information can be created and destroyed. That is what the Second Law of Thermodynamics says when it says, "In the universe, entropy always increases". The entropy of the universe, at any one time, is the proportion of photons to nucleons, that is, entropy is the extent of polarity cancellation. If we were energy we would never sleep. We are only information.
Information, the conformation of energy? Take a cloth sheet. It represents energy. Wrinkle the sheet. The wrinkles represent information. Pull the sheet out straight, and, "fump", the wrinkles become nonexistent. They "perish". Look in "Roget's Thesaurus", perishing is synonymous with becoming nonexistent.
Such a universal sheet exists on the eighth, ninth, and tenth dimensions; and, it is called the Ricci Curvature. Where there is no Ricci Curvature there is no matter. It says in the Bible, "Only He (God) is immortal"; and, "The soul that sinneth shall die". Crooks have profited on the fear of Plato's immortality of the soul.
There is the "aioniu amartematos", the "aeon of failure", mistranslated into English, "eternal damnation". A Greek professor told me that an "aeon" is only a hundred years. Spirit is matter in bent timespace, and, matter is spirit in flat timespace. Our soul is that portion of our being in the fifth dimensional spheres of bent timespace. Theoretically, -n+n=0, the soul is still perishable information.
A Jehovah's Witness told me, "Eternal punishment is infinite injustice. God in not unjust". By the way, if Jehovah's Witnesses get on your case, just tell them that you want to become nonexistent; and then, they will immediately go away. I am only 99.9990 % sure I can someday become nonexistent.
I see no reason why simple energy and "information" would care about what someone does in their life. Energy and information cannot be destroyed, and its favored configurations are the death of us all (heat death).

If your idea of God is nothing but energy and information, then it doesn't care about us any more than the universe at large.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I see no reason why simple energy and "information" would care about what someone does in their life. Energy and information cannot be destroyed, and its favored configurations are the death of us all (heat death).

If your idea of God is nothing but energy and information, then it doesn't care about us any more than the universe at large.
A valid argument for what that poster said. Though the idea of energy not really caring makes me wonder why we care if we are just a complex combination of matter and energy.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
A valid argument for what that poster said. Though the idea of energy not really caring makes me wonder why we care if we are just a complex combination of matter and energy.
We care about ourselves because we have evolved to care. God doesn't evolve (so they say), so he would have no desire to care about himself or (even less likely) anyone else.

gnomon

Do you believe in light? You couldn't read this without light. In 1John1:5 it says, "God is light". Science knows that light is energy. God is energy. There are two things in the universe: energy and "information". and information is the conformation of energy.
We got consciousness in finite time. In our brains, consciousness was caused by the capacitance and ectropy of the arising reticular formation of the medulla oblongata, which is simply the interference of information by virtue of the inevitability of orthogonality.
The First Law of Thermodynamics is, "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed". Energy is eternal. Certainly, in eternity it is inevitable that information would cause energy (God) to be conscious. Would you think that God doens't want boredom? That is why He doesn't interfere with free will.
To answer another question, information can be created and destroyed. That is what the Second Law of Thermodynamics says when it says, "In the universe, entropy always increases". The entropy of the universe, at any one time, is the proportion of photons to nucleons, that is, entropy is the extent of polarity cancellation. If we were energy we would never sleep. We are only information.
Information, the conformation of energy? Take a cloth sheet. It represents energy. Wrinkle the sheet. The wrinkles represent information. Pull the sheet out straight, and, "fump", the wrinkles become nonexistent. They "perish". Look in "Roget's Thesaurus", perishing is synonymous with becoming nonexistent.
Such a universal sheet exists on the eighth, ninth, and tenth dimensions; and, it is called the Ricci Curvature. Where there is no Ricci Curvature there is no matter. It says in the Bible, "Only He (God) is immortal"; and, "The soul that sinneth shall die". Crooks have profited on the fear of Plato's immortality of the soul.
There is the "aioniu amartematos", the "aeon of failure", mistranslated into English, "eternal damnation". A Greek professor told me that an "aeon" is only a hundred years. Spirit is matter in bent timespace, and, matter is spirit in flat timespace. Our soul is that portion of our being in the fifth dimensional spheres of bent timespace. Theoretically, -n+n=0, the soul is still perishable information.
A Jehovah's Witness told me, "Eternal punishment is infinite injustice. God in not unjust". By the way, if Jehovah's Witnesses get on your case, just tell them that you want to become nonexistent; and then, they will immediately go away. I am only 99.9990 % sure I can someday become nonexistent.

I don't believe in light, Part the Fourth.

idav

Being
Premium Member
We care about ourselves because we have evolved to care. God doesn't evolve (so they say), so he would have no desire to care about himself or (even less likely) anyone else.
Right evolved to care. IOW matter just kept getting more complex until it cared about itself. Kind of strange I think if energy and matter aren't really in the nature of caring in the first place.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Right evolved to care. IOW matter just kept getting more complex until it cared about itself. Kind of strange I think if energy and matter aren't really in the nature of caring in the first place.

A drop of water doesn't study quantum mechanics. Life on Earth owes its existence to the existence of water as a medium. Humans are a species of living beings on Earth. Therefore humans don't study quantum mechanics.

Fair analogy?

idav

Being
Premium Member
A drop of water doesn't study quantum mechanics. Life on Earth owes its existence to the existence of water as a medium. Humans are a species of living beings on Earth. Therefore humans don't study quantum mechanics.

Fair analogy?
You saying "I am" is an illusion?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
You saying "I am" is an illusion?
I wouldn't deny that statement, but I was simply saying that just because the individual particles don't exhibit any desires to do things doesn't mean they aren't present in larger configurations.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I wouldn't deny that statement, but I was simply saying that just because the individual particles don't exhibit any desires to do things doesn't mean they aren't present in larger configurations.
Yet with a deterministic view desire is an illusion. Particles will do what they were set in motion to do.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Natural is real, supernatural only exists in our imagination.

Nature is an observation, and many observations have been proven to show only One side of a dimension that has no real or conceivable boundaries.

"Elephant in the Dark" (trans. Coleman Barks)

Some Hindus have an elephant to show.
No one here has ever seen an elephant.
They bring it at night to a dark room.
One by one, we go in the dark and come out
saying how we experience the animal.
One of us happens to touch the trunk.
"A water-pipe kind of creature."
Another, the ear. "A very strong, always moving
back and forth, fan-animal."
Another, the leg. "I find it still,
like a column on a temple."
Another touches the curved back.
"A leathery throne."
Another, the cleverest, feels the tusk.
"A rounded sword made of porcelain."
He's proud of his description.
Each of us touches one place
and understands the whole in that way.
The palm and the fingers feeling in the dark are
how the senses explore the reality of the elephant.
If each of us held a candle there,
and if we went in together,
we could see it.

There is a site that has a few different translations of the poem, since it was written 700 years ago a few "key" meanings and translations have been lost over time of course.

Click here if you are interested.