• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NATO Protests in Chicago

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It's interesting watching these protests evolve. Interesting and, for someone who lives in the Chicago area and who has in the past protested and been arrested, more than a little disheartening. Much of the protest is, I think, is to be applauded (or at least appreciated) but there is an ugly streak that really needs to be disavowed. We have a right to oppose what we find unjust, but there is no civil right to take the streets and attack the authorities.

Last edited:

Jove

<Predator>
I know there are more than a few constitutionalists that would disagree with your OP&#8230; but crack will do that to a fellow.

dust1n

Zindīq
What's wrong with taking to the streets? Or is it just bad when authorities or attacked? Speaking of, who attacked the authorities? Seems to be a relatively small and peaceful event...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
We have a right to oppose what we find unjust, but there is no civil right to take the streets and attack the authorities.
What's wrong with taking to the streets?
Absolutely nothing. I've done it myself - more than once. But taking to the streets is not the same as taking the streets.

Or is it just bad when authorities or attacked?
I never suggested such a thing. Why do you ask?

Speaking of, who attacked the authorities? Seems to be a relatively small and peaceful event...
I never suggested otherwise.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Absolutely nothing. I've done it myself - morte than once. But taking to the streets is not the same as taking the streets.

Ah, sorry about that! :cool:

I never suggested such a thing. Why do you ask?

I never suggested otherwise.

Ah, my bad. I just saw it was brought up, so I thought maybe you had seen something. This actually appears to be one of the smallest and calmed protests of these types in a bit, minus the few heads split and some cops attacked, but they were small in number. I'm glad everything is staying civil up there.

dust1n

Zindīq
No problem.
For the most part it appears to have been handled pretty well on both sides. Of course, you'd never know this by watching CNN.

Haha, I've stopped watching the tube a bit back. I can imagine the armageddon they've painted though!

There always seems to be small tussles regardless the actions. I don't know, maybe it just takes a couple of eager beavers on either side to instigate something really bad, and with those kinds of numbers, it's just going to be statistically impossible to avoid any violence whatsoever entirely. Hopefully the meeting goes well, too! I'd be great if a succinct and effective withdrawal policy resulted from the meeting.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
As an Aussie (also a member nation) I completely agree with protesting NATO; there is absolutely no cause for the more recent activities of NATO, such as their involvement in the Mediterranean fighting a 'humanitarian intervention' or whatever they want to call it within a civil war... NATO was set up within the North Atlantic (hence the name) to guard the region against the then pressing threat of communist controlled countries and now lingers as a means by which to pretend that America would intervene on behalf of the other, weaker member nations in the event that China decides to flex its power.

The truth is all Nato member countries (with the exception of the US, Taiwan and possibly Japan) would be better off throwing their lot in with China.