• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nations and their religions

true blood

There are nations which recognize specific forms as their offical religion. Usually due to the majority of a common belief for instance the Islamic Nations consist of Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Libya, Morocco, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, etc, which recognize Islam. Countries recongnizing atheism are North Korea, former USSR and most Communism States. Nepal is a Hindu nation. Bhutan, Burma, Thailand, recognize Buddhism. Spain, Poland, Malta and Andora are Catholic. Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and Norway recognize Lutheran. England, United States are mainly Anglican. Now when you chose your religion do you consider the nations that hold the same label as your own religion and recognize their values, prosperity, and freedoms? Basicly, does a society holding the same religious views as yourself play a role in why you have or have not choosen the specific religion you hold?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
the nice thing about the US is that it has no 'official religion'. Therefore you are free to choose what works for you.

so I guess the answer to this would be no.... I pick my faith by what works for me, not what everyone elce is doing.

wa:do

LittleNipper

No official religion, only official principles founded in Biblical Christian ethic from which we are straying rapidly...

Rex

Founder
LittleNipper said:
No official religion, only official principles founded in Biblical Christian ethic from which we are straying rapidly...
Painted Wolf is correct. Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin are both diests.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
Now when you chose your religion do you consider the nations that hold the same label as your own religion and recognize their values, prosperity, and freedoms?
Not at all. Besides there is no UU state. But how cool would that be... :p
Basicly, does a society holding the same religious views as yourself play a role in why you have or have not choosen the specific religion you hold?
Again, not at all. Like PW said, I go with what is right for me, not what is popular or the majority.

true blood

I'm just asking if you recognize the majority of a people and their religious beliefs within a nation and that perhaps the prosperity of each nation in relation to the majority of it's common beliefs. For instance, the United States is largely made up of "christians" and it's the one of the most prosperious nations of the world if not number one. And then consider North Korea being largely made up of "athesist" and then recognizing their starvation and poor living conditions. That is just an example. Couldn't the success of each nation depend on the majority of the people's faith therein?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
Couldn't the success of each nation depend on the majority of the people's faith therein?
No, I would say that depended more on the type of government and economy than the majority religion of the state.

true blood

So you don't think the faith of a nation's majority manifest which type of government and economy and other attributes each nation has?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Prehaps it has some influence, but I would say that other factors far outweigh the nation's majority religion.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
no, North Korea is in truble because of its tyranical, insular and frankly crazy regime....
China is an offical 'athiest' state and they are doing just fine.

and again if we were using your criteria then the countries with FREEDOM of religion are the most prosperous (exlucding comunist/athiest china). Not chrisitan nations but free nations.

wa:do

Pah

Uber all member
true blood said:
I'm just asking if you recognize the majority of a people and their religious beliefs within a nation and that perhaps the prosperity of each nation in relation to the majority of it's common beliefs. For instance, the United States is largely made up of "christians" and it's the one of the most prosperious nations of the world if not number one. And then consider North Korea being largely made up of "athesist" and then recognizing their starvation and poor living conditions. That is just an example. Couldn't the success of each nation depend on the majority of the people's faith therein?

What reason can you give for the disparite wealth of nations that hold the same faith. Compare Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, Italy, Greece to the US. By your reasoning, they should all be at the same level of wealth but they are not.

Look somewhere else to account for the difference - you might try individual character and availablity of resources. And you might want to consider the faith in the growth period of the nation. North Korea was not atheist for all its history nor Russia for that matter.

-pah-

true blood

I'm not giving reasons but rather just thinking about and making comparisons so there is no need for you, Pah, to try and disprove the questions of mine, even though I admire you zeal to debate. It's difficult to say one nation has the exact same faith as another (I'm speaking of the majority). For instance Spain, Portugal and Italy is largely RCC/Catholic where as Greece is largely Eastern Orthodox and the U.S.A. is mainly Angelican/Congregational, not exactly all equal. Besides true wealth is of the heart of the people, not of their purse, no? But you have a good point in considering the faith in the growth period I'll have to look into.

Pah

Uber all member
true blood said:
I'm not giving reasons but rather just thinking about and making comparisons so there is no need for you, Pah, to try and disprove the questions of mine, even though I admire you zeal to debate. It's difficult to say one nation has the exact same faith as another (I'm speaking of the majority). For instance Spain, Portugal and Italy is largely RCC/Catholic where as Greece is largely Eastern Orthodox and the U.S.A. is mainly Angelican/Congregational, not exactly all equal. Besides true wealth is of the heart of the people, not of their purse, no? But you have a good point in considering the faith in the growth period I'll have to look into.

If you meant denomination then the question is even less applicable. I took it to mean Christianity for you speciifcally gave that example "For instance, the United States is largely made up of "christians" and it's the one of the most prosperious nations of the world if not number one". I only included Christian nations in my response.

You aksed "perhaps the prosperity of each nation in relation to the majority of it's common beliefs" and that means wealth not the content of the heart. You seem to have "moved the goal posts".

Now would you care to comment on my response that indicated Christianity was not a precursor to wealth.

-pah-

P.S. I believe you will find that the US's majority religion is the RCC