• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nabacalebar (New Body for Lord Jagannath, Lord Balabhadra and Sister Subhadra)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Nabacalebar and Rath Yatra ceremony of Lord Jagannath is taking place this year after a gap of 19 years. (Rather than copy and paste) Here is the full information about the ceremony which will be held two days from now in Puri:

Puri Nabakalebar Festival 2015, Rath Yatra Festival, About Nabakalebar
Google Images: jagannath nabakalebar - Google Search
1996 Ceremonies: jagannath nabakalebar - Google Search
Nabakalebara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The schedule of Festivities: Nabakalebar-2015 Schedule - Jagannath Dham, Puri

Other Videos: Google

One of the conditions for the tree selected for the idol of Lord Jagannath:
>> There should be a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva in the neighborhood. << :D

नारायणायेतिसमर्पयामि ।

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Remind me again, @Aupmanyav, why does a strong atheist care about these things?

I know the typical western strong atheist would have no interest except to scoff.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:D, You forget that being atheist is only half my part. The other half is being Hindu. This is the culture and tradition of my people. Not just of the city-bred but also of the aboriginals. Lord Jagannath, in particular, represents both.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Watch Sri Jagannath Puri Rath Yatra live here:

OTV Live News Channel Streaming Online Telecast Odisha

All timings Indian Standard Time (GMT - 5.30)
7.20 They have not yet strated moving, preparations are nearly complete.
7.43 Lord Hanuman arrives.
The line of devotees dressed in white: I think they will pull the ropes.
7.55 The baggage that will accompany the Deities to the temple of the sister of their mother, where they will stay for the next fortnight, being brought in and arranged in the Rathas.
9.06 Finally Lord Balabhadra's idol being brought to the Ratha. Since he is not feeling well, he has been brought in a supine position with many people fanning his idol. It seems he is running fever. He will be medicated when he reaches his aunt's house. Baggage still streaming in. They have not bought modern wheeled baggage. Still the old steel trunks, and even reed baskets.*
9.36 Gajapati coming in.
10.00 The third gender have also joined in. Devadasis also are dancing.
10.00 Brother Balarama with a beautiful big hat, leads.
11.08 Can't get the connection.
11.26 They are harnessing the wooden horses of the chariots. Saw Gajapati sprinkling water on the road.
11.43 It seems Lord Balabhadra's chariot has already moved ahead. Darshan of Lord Krishna's idol towards the end of this video.
12.11 Lord Krishna's idol being taken into the Ratha. Nearly in.
12.18 Oh, nothing has moved. All three chariots are still there. Nothing moves easily in India.
12.35 What do I see - a sea of people milling around since morning and dancing, half of them bare-bodied. Only Krishna knows what they are doing or want to do.
12.45 Another procession coming out of the temple now. Is it Subhadra Devi? This is covered, as in a palanquin. Yes, it is a palanquin. Broadcaster informs it is 'Madan Mohan', the ceremonial idol of Lord Jagannath.
01.16 It is such a huge *unruly* crowd, frightening to be in one. I hope the celebrations are completed without a mishap.
01.20 Puri Sankaracharya, Swami Nishchalananda visits for darshana.
01.47 The multitude has been sprayed with water since the morning to help them beat the heat. At the moment in is not too hot, 30 deg. C. in Puri.
02.05 Puri titular king, Gajapati Dibyasimha Deba, to come to sweep the route of the Rathas. Heard that the Rathas will move at 3 pm (still an hour to go, but we are in no hurry. The Rathas have to cover a distance of 3 kms.).
02.45 Gajapati cleaning the Ratha.
04.00 Dau's (that is how Sri Krishna addressed Sri Balabhadra, elder brother) Ratha is on way, Subhadra Devi's is waiting. Krishna's Ratha goes last. The ramps have been removed.
04.20 Devi Subhadra's Ratha moved ahead. The Rathas move swiftly without any creaking. Nice construction.
04.50 Lord Krishna's Rath to move in a short while.It seems to be getting dark.
05.07 Lord Krishna's Ratha finally moves. It seems to be a jam-packed crowd, but when the Rathas move, the space is created by people. I have seen police and ambulances moving to and fro but there does not seem to be any big problem, which is amazing with this kind of crowd. Seems to be a very well-behaved crowd.
5.30 Door Darshan Bharati has stopped the broadcast. It was nice. Thanks, DD Bharati. Those who were not seeing the Yatra can see it later on videos.

The Government of India Door Darshan Live News Telecast
RathYatra Odisha Puri 2015 #nabakalebara — PURIWAVES |
PURIWAVES |
Netra Usav || rathjatra || Banajog Jatra || Brhma Paribartan || |
RathYatra Odisha Puri 2015 #nabakalebara — PURIWAVES

* The Lord should consider ordering or send someone to buy. Here is something for the chancellor of his house-hold: Amazon.in: Suitcases, Check In & Strolleys - Luggage: Luggage & Bags. Amazon can send goods by drones.

"The most significant ritual associated with the Ratha-Yatra is the chhera pahara." During the festival, the Gajapati King wears the outfit of a sweeper and sweeps all around the deities and chariots in the Chera Pahara (sweeping with water) ritual. The Gajapati King cleanses the road before the chariots with a gold-handled broom and sprinkles sandalwood water and powder with utmost devotion. As per the custom, although the Gajapati King has been considered the most exalted person in the Kalingan kingdom, he still renders the menial service to Jagannath. This ritual signified that under the lordship of Jagannath, there is no distinction between the powerful sovereign Gajapati King and the most humble devotee."
Ratha-Yatra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gajapati (Master of the Elephant) cleaning the Ratha, After cleaning the Ratha
Gajapati-Pics-for-Web.jpg
images

Interview with Shri Dibyasingha Deba, Gajapati Maharaj of Puri (India), who is also called as the ‘Aadya Sevak’ (First Servant) of Lord Jagannath.
Gajapati Dibyasingha Deba - Excluusive Interview - Odisha Live
http://www.harekrsna.com/sun/news/06-12/news4309.htm

29-1404027600-rath17.png

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Rath Yatra in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, Eid-ul-Fitr in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India celebrates.
| Video | 138th Jagannath Rath Yatra begins in Ahmedabad | India Videos | - India Today
Bhav Nagar, Gujarat, Rath Yatra:

See post #5 for a running commentary of nearly 10 hours of Rath Yatra proceedings done by me. I thought some of you will be awake, but alas! the time difference.

The problem when I began to observe the proceedings was my thought that soon the Rathas will start moving. I did not know that it took a long long time for that to happen. The Yatra did not go without blemish. Two people died and three were injured in a stampede.

Last edited: