• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Short Story

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I wrote a short story for a contest (500 words or less), and I'm curious about what people think. I hope I posted this in the right place.

Here's the story:

The red flashing lights on the control panel told her that something wasn’t quite right. She glanced over at Milton. His gaze was fixed forward as beads of sweat poured down his chubby face. A locked look of sheer terror expressed the absolute horror gripping and crippling his soul. He was frozen; dead and useless. As the meaning of the flashing lights crawled into her consciousness, the stuffy cockpit seemed to constrict, twist, and contort around her. Was the room growing warmer? A pearl of hot sweat trickled down the back of her neck as she felt the paralysis afflicting Milton slowly well up from the depths of her own psyche. It was primal fear, experienced only during moonless nights by those men of ages long forgotten in forests filled with savage monstrous foes. Sarah and Milton sat in an ancient place dark beyond imagination, and the flashing light indicated a slight power fluctuation in the quantum core of -0.25%.

They were Temporal Cartographers, a team of time travelers tasked with mapping Earth’s surface in the past. Specifically, the pair focused on Earth during the Ediacaran period. Ordinarily the central time travel facility, dubbed The Hub, placed temporal mapping pods into low earth orbit at a specified time using directed general relativistic quantum tunneling. Pods remained tethered to The Hub in the year 2543 via energy stored up in their quantum cores, and their hulls contained a field generating device that locked them into their destination time. When a traveler wished to return to the future, he simply released the lock and the potential energy stored in the quantum core pulled the pod back to The Hub; like a ball attached to a rubber band.

Unfortunately for Sarah and Milton, the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics had reared its ugly head, and the duo’s pod had come to rest deep beneath the Earth’s crust in some sort of cavern or lava tube. They found themselves, against all odds, trapped miles beneath the surface in the year 600 million BC. Sarah realized that a loss of energy meant that the pod wouldn’t be able to make the journey back to its own time, and ran a quick calculation. Due to the large temporal displacement involved, even this small energy loss would meant that the closest time they could reach to their own would be 30 million BC. Even then, they would remain entombed miles beneath the Earth’s surface…buried alive. "Maybe we’ll get lucky" said Sarah grimly as she prepared to release the lock.

Shuddhasattva

Too many adjectives, sounds too forced and melodramatic. Something about the cadence and flow - how the words are fitting together, is halting for me to read.

Reptillian

Too many adjectives, sounds too forced and melodramatic. Something about the cadence and flow - how the words are fitting together, is halting for me to read.

Good to know. :) It probably doesn't help that I've been reading a lot of Shakespeare and Dante's Divine Comedy lately. I've found that my writing style is influenced by whatever I'm reading at the time.

Shuddhasattva

I took the liberty of editing it a bit for you to sort of show what I mean, rather than just telling you.

The flashing lights on the control panel told her that something wrong - maybe very wrong. She glanced over at Milton for confirmation. His gaze was framed by beads of sweat pouring down his chubby face. Sheer terror was splayed across his features.

She'd seen enough shell shock to know it; he would not be useful right now. As the meaning of the flashing lights made itself fully known to her, the stuffy cockpit seemed to constrict, twist, and contort, a surreality brought about by dread of what was to come.

Was the room growing warmer? Hot sweat trickled down the back of her neck as she felt the paralysis afflicting Milton mirrored in her own psyche. It was primal fear, experienced during moonless nights by men of ages long forgotten amidst forests filled with savage monstrous foes, a relic of a bygone age they had found themselves returned to in a nightmare only technology could dream.

Sarah and Milton sat in an ancient place dark beyond imagination, and the instruments indicated a slight power fluctuation in the quantum core of -0.25%.

They were Temporal Cartographers, time travelers tasked with mapping Earth’s surface in the past. Specifically, the pair focused on Earth during the Ediacaran period. Ordinarily the central time travel facility, dubbed The Hub, placed temporal mapping pods into low earth orbit at a specified time using directed general relativistic quantum tunneling. Pods remaining tethered to The Hub in the year 2543 via energy stored up in their quantum cores, and their hulls contained a field generating device that locked them into their destination time.

When a traveler wished to return to the future, he simply released the lock and the potential energy stored in the quantum core pulled the pod back to The Hub; like a ball attached to a rubber band.

Unfortunately for Sarah and Milton, the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics had reared its ugly head, and the duo’s pod had come to rest deep beneath the Earth’s crust in some sort of cavern or lava tube. They found themselves, against all odds, trapped miles beneath the surface in the year 600 million BC.

The stark realization they were attempting to cope with was that the loss of energy meant the pod wouldn’t be able to make the journey back to its own time. Sarah ran through the calculations one more time.

Due to the large temporal displacement involved, even this small energy loss would mean that the closest time they could reach to their own would be 30 million BC. Even then, they would remain entombed miles beneath the Earth’s surface…buried alive. "Maybe we’ll get lucky" said Sarah grimly as she prepared to release the lock.
[/quote]

I didn't alter the scientific explanations, although I thikn it's much too much exposition for a 500w story.

Reptillian

I can see why people collaborate on a lot of modern literature. It definitely does good to get a variety of viewpoints and writing styles. If I had more time to work on the story, I'd make some of the changes you recommend...you have some excellent alterations. I agree that it's a lot of explaination for a 500 word story. I could easily have made it into several pages.

Poecilid

Curious Poecilid
I'm just amazed you can tell any story in 500 words! I got to the end and wanted to know what happens next!

otokage007

I can see why people collaborate on a lot of modern literature. It definitely does good to get a variety of viewpoints and writing styles. If I had more time to work on the story, I'd make some of the changes you recommend...you have some excellent alterations. I agree that it's a lot of explaination for a 500 word story. I could easily have made it into several pages.

I agree that there's too much explanation for a 500w story. His version is simplier but easier to understand, and more vivid. Although it's not like yours was bad at all :)

Reptillian

I don't know what happens next, I haven't written anymore. :D Expanding this story into something longer (so that the explanation isn't as large a chunk of the story) has been on my to do list. I've got some ideas for a couple of other short science fiction stories. I should write them all out and put them together in a short book perhaps.

Lady B

noob
I don't know what happens next, I haven't written anymore. :D Expanding this story into something longer (so that the explanation isn't as large a chunk of the story) has been on my to do list. I've got some ideas for a couple of other short science fiction stories. I should write them all out and put them together in a short book perhaps.

:shrug:But i neeeeed a happy ending here, plz plz perty plz, just like let some dude in a horse-pod come save her or how about oh I dunno God? okok I am pushing here, Let's go with the Horse-pod and make sure It is white and handsome.;)

Yerda

Veteran Member
Overall, I think it reads fine. A lot of ideas in 500 words. A few comments:

His gaze was fixed forward as beads of sweat poured down his chubby face.

I like that. Clear image.

A locked look of sheer terror expressed the absolute horror gripping and crippling his soul.

This one's a bit over the top for me.

Sarah and Milton sat in an ancient place dark beyond imagination, and the flashing light indicated a slight power fluctuation in the quantum core of -0.25%.

Maybe I've missed what you were doing with that sentence but it seems odd. Why did you chose to link those two propositions? Was there an effect you were after?

Temporal Cartographers

Cool job-title.

Pods remained tethered to The Hub in the year 2543 via energy stored up in their quantum cores, and their hulls contained a field generating device that locked them into their destination time. When a traveler wished to return to the future, he simply released the lock and the potential energy stored in the quantum core pulled the pod back to The Hub; like a ball attached to a rubber band.

Another nice image and an interesting idea. I understand the objection on the grounds that there's too much explaining going on, but that's not a bad paragraph at all. I like the word choices and the methaphor (or similie - they're all metaphors to me). Good stuff.

They found themselves, against all odds, trapped miles beneath the surface in the year 600 million BC.

The year 600 million BC? Sounds like a precise date.

Anyway, I like it. I hope that's constructive.

BTW: I've no writing background or English qualifications. If anything I've written is dumb...apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I like the premise, Reptilian. Only thing that bothered me was that it seemed to me that the characters weren't really acting like real people would in that situation. I saw it more like this:

The red flashing lights on the control panel told her that something wasn’t quite right. She ignored them. She hated it when control panel lights talked to her, especially red flashing ones. They never seemed to have anything positive to say.

She glanced over at Milton. Pretty quickly decided that she'd be better off talking to the control-panel lights after all.

(Just kidding man. Ignore me. :p)

Lady B

noob
I like the premise, Reptilian. Only thing that bothered me was that it seemed to me that the characters weren't really acting like real people would in that situation. I saw it more like this:

The red flashing lights on the control panel told her that something wasn’t quite right. She ignored them. She hated it when control panel lights talked to her, especially red flashing ones. They never seemed to have anything positive to say.

She glanced over at Milton. Pretty quickly decided that she'd be better off talking to the control-panel lights after all.

(Just kidding man. Ignore me. :p)

I am actually amazed he gave a woman credit for even noticing lights on the control panel not to mention being concerned about them....I am so telling my husband his theory is not universal after all hahaha

Reptillian

I figured that if I expand on this story, I'll have them survive but not make it all the way back to their own time...maybe have them get stuck in the Jurassic period or even have them stay stuck in 600 million BC or something.

I appreciate the feed back. :) Lots of excellent comments and suggestions.

I do have a difficult time writing believable dialogue and personalities though. Perhaps a little comic relief in the form of a nagging backseat driver would be a good addition.