• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My RF Anniversary - First Year on RF

Ella S.

*temp banned*
This time last year, I had just recently left homelessness and finished physical therapy, and I was a Neo-Sethian. I joined RF with the hope of having my understanding of Gnosticism examined in the public eye, since there was very little on the subject elsewhere outside of small chat rooms filled with Gnostics who did not take the asceticism or alienation of Gnosticism as seriously as I thought they should be taken.

To me, asceticism and alienation were the core concepts of Gnosticism, although most modern Gnostics I met did not live by them. This was a particularly helpful spirituality to follow while I was homeless, although it was only the most recent one. I had been rapidly switching between different religions and different forms of magic in a desperate search for something that could give me back control over my life, because I felt like I was more or less powerless to change my circumstances through conventional means.

My time here forced me to admit that, from what I could tell, all of these proposed systems of magic and mysticism did virtually nothing. The parts of Gnosticism that helped me were the meditations that allowed me to separate myself from my suffering, and that is what allowed me to begin to find ways out of my situation. Every spell and ritual failed to manifest, every spirit I contacted through divination or ritual trance failed to come through on their promises. I had to figure it out myself.

My current focus this year, and likely next year and the year afterwards, has been to recover from my trauma and find emotional and psychological stability. I started taking from Stoicism early this year and it continues to be transformative to this end. It has become my rock.

Throughout this time, RF has taught me a number of lessons, mostly that the opinions and feelings of others are unreliable means for deriving truth, that I am responsible for my actions but not how others respond to them, and that being good at logic doesn't matter to anyone so, despite trying to make something of myself, I will have to learn to accept that I'll be an outcast for the rest of my life. I'll have to learn to provide for my own emotional and psychosocial needs to gain true independence and free my mind.

In general, this past year has taught me that I can't really rely on anyone, not even God, and I have to do everything myself. Even then, I will fail most of the time, but I have to keep trying and learn from my failures. I have replaced my reliance on magic with a reliance on logic, and it has served me well, carrying me through my recovery and even landing me some cybersecurity contract and temp work. I might be able to achieve my dream of finding a career in ethical hacking some day, perhaps sooner than I thought.

I thank everyone here who has given me frubals and who has replied to my posts for your support and/or the data you have given me to analyze. It has been a productive year.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Hullo. I've enjoyed reading many of your posts.

On gnosticism, have you ever read the novel A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay?

On stoicism, have you ever read Massimo Pigliucci's blog or his book on stoicism?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Hullo. I've enjoyed reading many of your posts.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

On gnosticism, have you ever read the novel A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay?

I have not. I may have heard of it in passing, but it would have been at a time that my reading list was already lengthy. I looked it up and it sounds like an interesting read. I don't read a lot of fiction, but I will keep it in mind.

On stoicism, have you ever read Massimo Pigliucci's blog or his book on stoicism?

I read his interview with the Daily Stoic and he did not leave a good impression on me, although I would be open to learning more about his perspective to challenge my initial impressions.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear people talk about Gnosticism, and have tried to very vaguely familiarize myself with the beliefs, but as to how a Gnostic lives, I don't know much.

What is the recommended path for a Gnostic?

It sounds like you've had quite the journey. Glad to have shared some of it with you in the last year.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I hear people talk about Gnosticism, and have tried to very vaguely familiarize myself with the beliefs, but as to how a Gnostic lives, I don't know much.

What is the recommended path for a Gnostic?

It's worth noting that there are not only a wide variety of Gnostic religions, from Sethianism to Catharism to Johannism to even Anticosmic Satanism, but since most of these do not have any significant communities or modern day organizations the people who follow them tend to be highly eclectic and idiosyncratic. It can be quite similar, and there is some overlap, to the New Age movement or the eclectic pagan subculture in that aspect.

For me, I practiced veganism similar to the Manichaens, Bogomils, and Cathars. I tried to dedicate all of my free time to either study or a form of mystical prayer very similar to the Orthodox concept of hesychasm, although without the emphasis on the Jesus Prayer. I would participate in a baptism every time I was able to shower, re-affirming my connection with the One.

Asceticism wasn't too difficult, given that I was already homeless and had no social connections. This also gave me the time to study and pray, too. I took a lot of inspiration from Orthodox monasticism, which, being a woman, I would be barred from practicing in one of their actual monasteries.

This is because Orthodox monasticism actually has close historical ties to Gnostic practices and a lot of their writings actually specifically mention condemnations of how the Gnostics do a few little things "wrong," such as not using the Jesus Prayer during hesychasm.

As far as I'm aware, though, I'm the only modern Gnostic that has noticed this link and focused on it. Most of the Gnostics I knew were basically Christians, just with a few heretical beliefs, or they were quite similar to Thelemites or Rosicrucians in their focus on Gnostic alchemy, just with a stronger focus on more ancient materials and practices.

There were also a lot of people who had a high regard for Jungian psychology and privately practiced a variety of visualization and active imagination exercises along those lines, which I also sometimes engaged in.

It sounds like you've had quite the journey. Glad to have shared some of it with you in the last year.

I have noticed your kindness towards me in particular in a number of threads throughout the year. I do appreciate it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Throughout this time, RF has taught me a number of lessons, mostly that the opinions and feelings of others are unreliable means for deriving truth, that I am responsible for my actions but not how others respond to them,

Yes! Others might give us ideas and suggestions, but we make up our own minds and act accordingly.

I will fail most of the time, but I have to keep trying and learn from my failures.

When we're young and learning to walk, failure is different. We get up and try again until mastery is achieved. I wish we kept that attitude toward failure as we got older.

I will have to learn to accept that I'll be an outcast for the rest of my life

There were times in my life where I learned that "the rest of my life" was not correct but instead a passing assumption. May you find the same when the time is ripe.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Yes! Others might give us ideas and suggestions, but we make up our own minds and act accordingly.

When we're young and learning to walk, failure is different. We get up and try again until mastery is achieved. I wish we kept that attitude toward failure as we got older.

There were times in my life where I learned that "the rest of my life" was not correct but instead a passing assumption. May you find the same when the time is ripe.

It's a nice thought that I might one day achieve mastery if I remain determined, and that I might one day find myself in a larger role in the hacker subculture. Perhaps the issues I see as so pervasive are amenable to the passage of time. I appreciate the insight.

If you are correct, as I hope you are, then I will try to remember to keep a healthy attitude towards failure in my later years. I will now remind myself often when I fail that even those with great experience fail, but the trick is to have the proper attitude towards failing rather than to hope to one day be in a position to never fail. This correction is potentially incredibly helpful, and I thank you for it.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I thank everyone here who has given me frubals and who has replied to my posts for your support and/or the data you have given me to analyze. It has been a productive year.
Thanks for being such a sweetie. I'm glad you have had a productive year, and I wish you many more.