• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Question About The Bible

Hawkins

As can be (and has been in the past) observed, I am a poet, a storyteller, and a huge bookworm. I am also a polytheist. On top of all of this, I am a adorer of The Bible. I love it! To me, it's a beautiful mixture of history, some stories, poetry, songs, wise sayings, and a bit of future-seeing. I can and do understand this. However, I notice that many individuals are turned off of The Bible due to being taught that the whole of it is the literal truth.

My question for those who uphold The Bible as literal truth AS WELL AS those who reject it for this reason:

Why does the entirety of The Bible have to be literally true for It to have value? Why must all of the events recorded be historical happenings for there to be lessons which can be learned from The Bible? Can't there be truths taught through stories, poetry, songs, and wise sayings?

Because in the case the everything is true, then the God has already presented what the judgment will be for you to make a choice. So that those who made the right choice will be saved as said.

Akivah

Why does the entirety of The Bible have to be literally true for It to have value? Why must all of the events recorded be historical happenings for there to be lessons which can be learned from The Bible? Can't there be truths taught through stories, poetry, songs, and wise sayings?

The Tanakh is chock-ful of metaphors, allegory, sayings, and poems.

whirlingmerc

As can be (and has been in the past) observed, I am a poet, a storyteller, and a huge bookworm. I am also a polytheist. On top of all of this, I am a adorer of The Bible. I love it! To me, it's a beautiful mixture of history, some stories, poetry, songs, wise sayings, and a bit of future-seeing. I can and do understand this. However, I notice that many individuals are turned off of The Bible due to being taught that the whole of it is the literal truth.

My question for those who uphold The Bible as literal truth AS WELL AS those who reject it for this reason:

Depends what you mean by literally true. The Bible is true in the sense claimed and in the sense of the literature but that is not 'wooden literalism'

Mohsen

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته