• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My heart is breaking....

As I am writing this post, my dear, sweet yellow lab is sleeping soundly on the couch next to me. She is an old friend and now, in the last few days of her life, she sleeps a great deal of the time. It's hard for her to stand and she has been falling because her rear legs are weak. But in typical lab fashion, she still loves to eat!

We know that we must make the big decision and we will be seeing our vet on Saturday. Even though I believe that we have a responsibility to our animal companions to help to them avoid pain and have a dignified and comfortable death, it is so hard to decide when the time is right for euthanasia.

I spend as much time as I can with her and I watch her carefully, trying to measure her symptoms and get inside her head. She gets pain medication regularly but even with medication, she whimpered last night and couldn't seem to get comfortable when we went to bed.

Yesterday, as we were talking about the decline of her quality of life, she picked up a soccer ball and looked at us as if she wanted to play. Go figure!

Anyway, I know what we have to do, but it's so difficult. I have to think of her comfort and not my grief.

Thanks for listening.

Forever_Catholic

Having been through this myself recently with a beloved old cat, I empathize with you. If there can be any consolation, it might be in knowing that you were a good friend yourself, and cared for her even to the end. She'll know that.

And while animals don’t have souls like ours, they are still God’s creatures, with spirits that live beyond physical death. Maybe there could be a little comfort in considering that.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
As I am writing this post, my dear, sweet yellow lab is sleeping soundly on the couch next to me. She is an old friend and now, in the last few days of her life, she sleeps a great deal of the time. It's hard for her to stand and she has been falling because her rear legs are weak. But in typical lab fashion, she still loves to eat!

We know that we must make the big decision and we will be seeing our vet on Saturday. Even though I believe that we have a responsibility to our animal companions to help to them avoid pain and have a dignified and comfortable death, it is so hard to decide when the time is right for euthanasia.

I spend as much time as I can with her and I watch her carefully, trying to measure her symptoms and get inside her head. She gets pain medication regularly but even with medication, she whimpered last night and couldn't seem to get comfortable when we went to bed.

Yesterday, as we were talking about the decline of her quality of life, she picked up a soccer ball and looked at us as if she wanted to play. Go figure!

Anyway, I know what we have to do, but it's so difficult. I have to think of her comfort and not my grief.

Thanks for listening.

I admire you for the strength and selflessness it takes to go through something like this, Wintersolstice, and to put your dogs comfort ahead of your own. That's love.
:)

Having been through this myself recently with a beloved old cat, I empathize with you. If there can be any consolation, it might be in knowing that you were a good friend yourself, and cared for her even to the end. She'll know that.

And while animals don’t have souls like ours, they are still God’s creatures, with spirits that live beyond physical death. Maybe there could be a little comfort in considering that.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am so sorry for your loss.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm so sorry to hear about your doggy. May God bless you and comfort you both. You'll meet again one day in a joyous reunion. *hugs*

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
PPY-GetWell-SickDog-600x600.jpg

suncowiam

My apologies to your situation.

My family and I was in your situation about a decade ago with out beloved mixed-breed chihuahua. We took her to the animal shelter to place her to rest. It was very emotional but I believe it was the right thing to do for her and our family as she was suffering in the later stages of a disease.

I wish you and your dog well.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Animals have souls just like us.

God bless your dog. Dog and human are one forever.

Thanks for listening.
Thanks to all for your kindness, sympathy and gentle words.

Parsimony

Having been through similar circumstances myself, I do wish you and your family the best in dealing with your situation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We've been through that same agony. She went down and we thought it was the end then she picked up energy again and we were delighted. This up and down makes the decision very, very hard.

Laika

Premium Member
The fact you're putting her interests ahead of you're own is admirable and it is what friends do for each other. I hope the pain heals with time. :(

We've been through that same agony. She went down and we thought it was the end then she picked up energy again and we were delighted. This up and down makes the decision very, very hard.
That is exactly what this week has been like, bad days followed by good days.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm so sorry to hear this, I've been through it too many times already, and unfortunately will have to again one day. She will let you know when it's time for her to leave. They make the decision for us, you'll know.