• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My ghost story

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I suffered from horrible mental illness for years but I have recovered and sprung back. It affected my rational thinking and intelligence. While mentally ill, I started thinking I was tapping into the spirit world. And I also played with a bit of magic. I thought I was just being crazy about being a person with a knack for the spirit world until me and my mom and sister heard a ghostly voice one night call my name and it freaked us all out. Later that night, I went to my bedroom which was in the basement in the house we lived in. I was looking out the upper window, yes the basement had a window, and a deep dark voice came from the window saying, "If you don't straighten your thoughts, you will be dead." The voice was pure evil, and realer than any hallucination I had ever had. After that, I gave up magic. And if I started to question whether I should reach out to some "spirit", I pretended that I had never had the thought out of fear and not being ready.

Then later on I was stupid again after I had mostly recovered my health, and I tried everything and couldn't establish a connection with the spirit world like I had once had.

So I will always wonder whether it was real or not. And why would an evil sounding voice say something seemingly caring?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Here's my take on it as you have described it:
me and my mom and sister heard a ghostly voice one night call my name and it freaked us all out.
This is the part the most interests me about your story.
Later that night, I went to my bedroom which was in the basement in the house we lived in. I was looking out the upper window, yes the basement had a window, and a deep dark voice came from the window saying, "If you don't straighten your thoughts, you will be dead."
And this part, only you witnessed it.
I tried everything and couldn't establish a connection with the spirit world like I had once had.
Probably a good thing, my friend.
So I will always wonder whether it was real or not.
I vote: What all 3 of you heard was real. And what you heard on your own was just a dream, maybe you were sleep walking? or something?
And why would an evil sounding voice say something seemingly caring?
I think what you are saying and how you are saying it speaks to your own perception of evil. What is labeled evil, is not Evil in the classical sense.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'd like to conclude the story with a brief summary that doesn't contain everything, and also doesn't contain another ghost story.

How I recovered from mental illness is that I spent hours each day listening to positive music until I was stronger and could listen to any music. I got some books on Critical Thinking and Philosophy and though I eventually lost them in a move and at the time I had a terrible time understanding them, they helped me with my thoughts. I started to focus on the fact that by allowing my hallucinations to be a part of me, I was allowing a fictional world to step in. If I could go back in time and give myself advice, the best advice I have ever received on recovery was something I had to learn on my own, it's: Fake it, until you make it. Fake being rational until you start to achieve it and get better. And aim for the heavens and though you probably won't get to them, you might just reach another planet in the process. So to speak.

This is just what personally worked for me.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I was manic depressive, what worked for me was totally stopping drugs and alcohol, mostly pot. Its in remission now, although I still need medicine.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I was manic depressive, what worked for me was totally stopping drugs and alcohol, mostly pot. Its in remission now, although I still need medicine.

I took hardcore of an innocent in small quantaties drug used in non-decaf coffee and Mt. Dew before my years of problems. I won't name it by name, but I think you can figure it out.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
When I smoked pot I used to have 2-3 psychotic manic breakdowns a year requiring hospitalization, now none of that, no mania, no depression. I feel blessed, my strange sleep schedule is a whole other story, though!!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I suffered from horrible mental illness for years but I have recovered and sprung back. It affected my rational thinking and intelligence. While mentally ill, I started thinking I was tapping into the spirit world. And I also played with a bit of magic. I thought I was just being crazy about being a person with a knack for the spirit world until me and my mom and sister heard a ghostly voice one night call my name and it freaked us all out. Later that night, I went to my bedroom which was in the basement in the house we lived in. I was looking out the upper window, yes the basement had a window, and a deep dark voice came from the window saying, "If you don't straighten your thoughts, you will be dead." The voice was pure evil, and realer than any hallucination I had ever had. After that, I gave up magic. And if I started to question whether I should reach out to some "spirit", I pretended that I had never had the thought out of fear and not being ready.

Then later on I was stupid again after I had mostly recovered my health, and I tried everything and couldn't establish a connection with the spirit world like I had once had.

So I will always wonder whether it was real or not. And why would an evil sounding voice say something seemingly caring?
I think the 'crazy' experiences of the mentally ill are not well understood. I think many times they are being affected by true non-physical levels of reality but their conscious mind is not able to process these things rationally so it will come out as just 'crazy'.

The fact that three people heard the same thing argues that something more than just hallucinations internal to one mind was going on.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think the 'crazy' experiences of the mentally ill are not well understood. I think many times they are being affected by true non-physical levels of reality but their conscious mind is not able to process these things rationally so it will come out as just 'crazy'.

The fact that three people heard the same thing argues that something more than just hallucinations internal to one mind was going on.

I value your opinions on the subject of the paranormal.

I have my supicions drugs open a gateway, as well.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I have my supicions drugs open a gateway, as well.
I agree. And the gateway allows non-physical influences into our space and our consciousness mind can't rationally process them and we sound 'crazy'.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I agree. And the gateway allows non-physical influences into our space and our consciousness mind can't rationally process them and we sound 'crazy'.

I even have my suspicions that certain religions, not so much conservative Christianity, when not paired with stuffiness of mind, doubt and a lot of Critical Thinking, increases your chance of having an encounter.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"If you don't straighten your thoughts, you will be dead."
I know a few people who have had such experiences.

I've had experiences, not of that specific kind, that I take as real. My attitude is to accept such experiences as having value but not seek them.

Your second question is interesting. You did not write about what was it about the voice that struck you as evil. I can conjecture a couple of reasons but not even really guess from the little I know.

Fake it, until you make it.

There's science behind that, at least when it comes to smiling. Smiling can trick your brain into happiness — and boost your health

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
@sun rise Because the voice sounded just like the opening deep voice of this song, which I hadn't heard until later on. I have to draw a comparison to music because I know a lot about music:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
@sun rise Because the voice sounded just like the opening deep voice of this song, which I hadn't heard until later on. I have to draw a comparison to music because I know a lot about music:

The problem is interpretation is clear from your sound example. For example, was that voice the spoken voice of the one giving you the advice or was it distorted not by the speaker? I could come up with other explanations.

What I would do, were I you, is to accept the very helpful message and not assume that the messenger was evil because the voice was distorted.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The problem is interpretation is clear from your sound example. For example, was that voice the spoken voice of the one giving you the advice or was it distorted not by the speaker? I could come up with other explanations.

What I would do, were I you, is to accept the very helpful message and not assume that the messenger was evil because the voice was distorted.

In a sense, I think I did. I guess I somehow, by some twist of fate, decided it was time to get better after that. Though I had different reasons. Any time you think the paranormal talks to you, it's a life-changing experience even when you attempt not to follow the advice and strongly disagree.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In a sense, I think I did. I guess I somehow, by some twist of fate, decided it was time to get better after that. Though I had different reasons. Any time you think the paranormal talks to you, it's a life-changing experience even when you attempt not to follow the advice and strongly disagree.
Particularly if the message comes from the astral, it could be from some negatively motivated source so it's always wise to be cautious.

HonestJoe

So I will always wonder whether it was real or not.
You seem to share a common feature of people talking about this kind of experience. Even though you openly question whether the whole thing was real or not, you’ve already strongly associated it with a specific cause, referring to the “spirit world” and “ghosts”. Even if it wasn’t all a creation of your own mind, couldn’t an external cause be literally anything; inter-dimensional aliens, fairies, time-travellers or something we can’t even conceive of? The moment you assign any kind of specific definition or label to something without any logical or evidential reasoning, you lose a lot of trust in the intellectual independence of your recollections, perceptions and interpretations.