• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My friend says he wants to get into spell casting!:(

Frank Goad

Kenneth Grant, the British occultist, disciple of Aleister Crowley, and head of the Typhonian Ordo Templi Orientis, suggested in his book The Magical Revival (1972) that there was an unconscious connection between Crowley and Lovecraft. He thought they both drew on the same occult forces; Crowley via his magic and Lovecraft through the dreams which inspired his stories and the Necronomicon. Grant claimed that the Necronomicon existed as an astral book as part of the Akashic records and could be accessed through ritual magic or in dreams. Grant's ideas on Lovecraft were featured heavily in the introduction to the Simon Necronomicon and also have been backed by Tyson.

I got this from this website: Necronomicon - Wikipedia

My friend Mark says he is going to go out of body to the Akashic records and get this book.:(

What should I tell him?:(

GoodbyeDave

My friend Mark says he is going to go out of body to the Akashic records and get this book.:(
To make sure he doesn't get carried off by Yog-Sothoth? Seriously, I'd love to hear what Lovecraft (an atheist and materialist) would have said about Grant if he'd lived to read him!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Kenneth Grant, the British occultist, disciple of Aleister Crowley, and head of the Typhonian Ordo Templi Orientis, suggested in his book The Magical Revival (1972) that there was an unconscious connection between Crowley and Lovecraft. He thought they both drew on the same occult forces; Crowley via his magic and Lovecraft through the dreams which inspired his stories and the Necronomicon. Grant claimed that the Necronomicon existed as an astral book as part of the Akashic records and could be accessed through ritual magic or in dreams. Grant's ideas on Lovecraft were featured heavily in the introduction to the Simon Necronomicon and also have been backed by Tyson.

My brother and his friends dabbled in the occult back in the day (about 50 years ago). I figured out then that the 'occult' is like a deep, dark forest. As long as you stand outside and look at it, you're usually okay. However, once you set foot in that forest then you can very easily get lost.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There's nothing wrong with a bit of spell casting, as long as it's mostly white magic to get somebody to satisfy your inner most desires.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Doesn't the christian bible say not to get into spell casting?:(

The Bible is only against spell casting which permanently harms other persons, I don't see why there'd be anything wrong with spell casting that pleases the sorcerer at little expense and insignificant harm to the person under the spell caster's control who is hexed.

Orbit

I'm a planet

The worst that can happen is he'll psych himself out.

GoodbyeDave

I dabbled a bit in magic when I was young and still a Christian, but now I'd agree with Ronald Hutton
Strictly speaking, religion can do all of the work of magic, and the fact that humans have sought the latter in addition has been the result of modesty (not wanting to trouble deities), frustration (the deity has not responded), double insurance, pride and curiosity (the desire to work spiritual power directly), and considerations of convenience and expense.
Of course, these days I have more deities to call on!

Frank Goad

I asked mark if he would like to pray to jesus about this and he said he didn't want to because he thinks christians are closed minded.I asked if he is saved and has prayed for jesus to be his savior and he said no.:(