• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first GIMP project

littlefire

You can call me Fio
I've never used any photo editing software before in my life (unless PowerPoint and Publisher count...) so I'm feeling pretty accomplished right now; it relates to religious concepts I've been thinking about recently so I thought I'd share.

(Also, does anyone have a GIMP tip for removing backgrounds from images without a lot of convoluted doesn't-really-work copy-and-paste nonsense?)

Thanks,
-littlefire

Attachments

• SekhmetHathor-Marked.png
    SekhmetHathor-Marked.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 149

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Very nice! Make sure wherever you're displaying this publicly you include the image sources (unless it's public domain.) It's just nice to credit photographers for their work too. :)

You did a pretty good job removing background elements. Unfortunately, unless the subject was shot against a green screen, removing backgrounds takes a little work. I prefer making a mask over selecting and deleting, to make sure I don't accidentally lose parts of the subject.
I'd have to look how to do it in Gimp, since I use Photoshop.

littlefire

You can call me Fio
All of the images I used were public domain, but thanks so much for the reminder! :)

I honestly don't know what a mask even is.... :confused: but I'll definitely look it up.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I've never used any photo editing software before in my life (unless PowerPoint and Publisher count...) so I'm feeling pretty accomplished right now; it relates to religious concepts I've been thinking about recently so I thought I'd share.

(Also, does anyone have a GIMP tip for removing backgrounds from images without a lot of convoluted doesn't-really-work copy-and-paste nonsense?)

Thanks,
-littlefire

Good choice, I think GIMP is the best image editing software out there- it doesn't have all the gimmicky 'auto-art' effects of photoshop, but is far faster, cleaner, better programmed I think, better for channeling your own individual creativity without looking photoshopped

for removing backgrounds,- for anything with a solid background- use layer- transparency- color to alpha-

But otherwise, your own eye can judge best what you want to keep or discard- with a graphics tablet/stylus- you can erase the background freehand with the eraser and any 'soft' brush without hard edges- which works best with the bush dynamics; 'opacity' and 'size' checked to give a more natural feel of an eraser.

Otherwise, you can use the 'free select' lasso, and feather the edges with the desired number of pixels . I find the 'fuzzy select' or any auto-select tool in any program, is rarely very useful where there are subtle gradients.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
All of the images I used were public domain, but thanks so much for the reminder! :)

I honestly don't know what a mask even is.... :confused: but I'll definitely look it up.
This might help. :)

Good choice, I think GIMP is the best image editing software out there- it doesn't have all the gimmicky 'auto-art' effects of photoshop, but is far faster, cleaner, better programmed I think, better for channeling your own individual creativity without looking photoshopped

for removing backgrounds,- for anything with a solid background- use layer- transparency- color to alpha-

But otherwise, your own eye can judge best what you want to keep or discard- with a graphics tablet/stylus- you can erase the background freehand with the eraser and any 'soft' brush without hard edges- which works best with the bush dynamics; 'opacity' and 'size' checked to give a more natural feel of an eraser.

Otherwise, you can use the 'free select' lasso, and feather the edges with the desired number of pixels . I find the 'fuzzy select' or any auto-select tool in any program, is rarely very useful where there are subtle gradients.
I don't use the programmed filters, but I do make actions, and I can use photoshop to do things gimp just can't do. Like working with 3D objects and vectors (I much prefer smart objects and vectors to rastor) imported from other software, do advanced composition with layers effects, scripted actions, etc etc. But I agree, if you're just doing simple editing Photoshop is definitely not needed.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
This might help. :)

I don't use the programmed filters, but I do make actions, and I can use photoshop to do things gimp just can't do. Like working with 3D objects and vectors (I much prefer smart objects and vectors to rastor) imported from other software, do advanced composition with layers effects, scripted actions, etc etc. But I agree, if you're just doing simple editing Photoshop is definitely not needed.

Horses for courses, but if you are editing simple vector designs/ line art, logos etc then no, you don't really need anything better than P(o)S!

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Doesn't get much better than GIMP for open source editing/art projects. I am happy you are enjoying it and I like your picture! :)