• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My dog is an atheist

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
So, I was thinking the other day. Why are some dogs afraid of thunder? It doesn't make sense: it's natural, it's never done anything to them, and in the wild, they would have had to deal with it without beds to hide under.

drummondislandcorp.jpg

[Atheist dog lounging on beach.]

And then as I was listening to a lovely storm rolling in, it hit me. Thunder sounds surprisingly similar to a dog growling. So, perhaps some dogs think that a very large and angry sky dog is growling at them. These dogs are the theists.

Now, what of the dogs that are not afraid of thunder? They could either be agnostic or atheistic about the Great Dog God. Now, my dog is a bit of a pansy. He is generally distrustful of strange things and is particularly anxious to please. But thunder does not disturb him in the least. If there was any possibility in his mind that the Sky Dog was up there and growling at him, then he'd be the first to high-tail it under the bed. Ergo, he must be an atheist.

The logic is irrefutable.

/cough

MissAlice

My cat Bill hides under the bed ONLY if it is a thunderstorm. Firecrackers, vaccums, and other noises even gun shots don't bother him. I suppose there really is a Ceiling Cat in the sky.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
My cat Bill hides under the bed ONLY if it is a thunderstorm. Firecrackers, vaccums, and other noises even gun shots don't bother him. I suppose there really is a Ceiling Cat in the sky.
I've never heard of cats being afraid of thunder. I would think that most of them would be atheists... or whatever -ist it is when you believe that you yourself are god. So, perhaps your cat is a trailblazer. :yes:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure my dog thinks I'm God.
Good dog.

I had a dog as a kid who would give us sacrifices of garter snakes. Every morning she'd go out for her morning hunt, and leave the carcasses at back door.

elmarna

To humanize a animal is not a realalistic way.
I know many do as they try to realate. Realisticly animals do not have a human brain.
Most "respond" and are limited on resoning power. Science clims the most intellegent dog has a IQ of a 12 year old child it is a decent amount of reasoning power.
How do you know your dog does not "know god" ? Perhaps he has seen him but relates to him differently!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, I was thinking the other day. Why are some dogs afraid of thunder? It doesn't make sense: it's natural, it's never done anything to them, and in the wild, they would have had to deal with it without beds to hide under.

drummondislandcorp.jpg

[Atheist dog lounging on beach.]

/cough
I don't know, falvlun.
That pooch has a Presbyterian look about him. :sarcastic
Perhaps he's just resigned himself to his predestined fate.

Seriously, though, all animals are atheist, as are all infants. Nothing is born with a belief in anything. Beliefs are taught.
Atheism is the intellectual default position.

Marble

Rolling Marble
Stop giving him food for some days, maybe than he makes up his mind & starts believing in you. :D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't know, falvlun.
That pooch has a Presbyterian look about him. :sarcastic
Perhaps he's just resigned himself to his predestined fate.

Seriously, though, all animals are atheist, as are all infants. Nothing is born with a belief in anything. Beliefs are taught.
Atheism is the intellectual default position.
:D He does have a bit of the Amish austerity, or perhaps Buddhist self-deprivation going on there.

While I do highly doubt that dogs have thoughts about god beings, I did think that the idea of them believing that thunder was a Great Sky Dog to be intriguing. Who knows? It's hard to say what's going on in those cute furry heads of theirs.

Marble said:
Stop giving him food for some days, maybe than he makes up his mind & starts believing in you. :D
I am not a vindictive God. Besides, that look of adoration as I give him a bowl of should-be-poured-down-the-sink-already milk is just priceless. (That's his favorite treat in the whole wide world.)

Leonardo

I have three dogs; Leo, a german shepard, believes that its possible for a human to be scentless and invisible! You say I how do I know this? Well Leo like most dogs can't open a door with a round nob or one that uses a latch, so his only experience of doors opening are when humans open the door. Sometimes the wind rattles the fence door, its a 6' wooden fence so you can't see through it easily. But when the door moves with the wind Leo is in full guard mode. His hair is up and he's groweling, then he charges the door and growels and barks in the classic german shepard way that would scare the pants off anyone. Leo then runs up the stair case to see whose behind the fence, he can actually clearly see from the top of the stair case what's behind the fence. He then runs back down the stair case and continues to bark!

Clearly in this dog's mind the idea of a scentless invisible person is not an impossiblity....

Here's a link to a video of my dogs when the rottie was only 7 weeks old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeVKvYVkkog

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Disbelief doesn't require a "capacity." It's an epistemic default position.
If you're not a believer you're automatically a disbeliever.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah...my dog is definitely Amish.
Refuses to drive, no mobile phone, and I am yet to catch him posting on Facebook. He's scared of thunder, so clearly has issues with the big fella in the sky. Perhaps he's been a bad boy?

I think he sees me as a lesser demi-god. He brings all sorts of dead animals to the back door. Or maybe he thinks I'm some sort of grand priest?

*snaps fingers*

Got it. He's monotheist, and he's just worshipping me as a way of getting choice prime cuts. He knows I'm not really a God, and he's worried the REAL God knows he's worshipping false idols. Hence his fear of thunder.

ZooGirl02

Disbelief doesn't require a "capacity." It's an epistemic default position.
If you're not a believer you're automatically a disbeliever.

If you say so. Personally I think that since animals are not spiritual beings that they are neither capable of belief or disbelief. They probably don't even think about God.