• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Current Thinking on the Church, Religion and Sexual Morality

anna.

but mostly it's the same
He did but I understood it as Roman Catholic which I had no use for and felt it would be antithetical to Baptist theology.

That's a shame, if you left over that misunderstanding, I hope you found what you were looking for elsewhere. Because if he indeed meant it as small c, he may have meant either universal, or was making a connection to ancient Christianity (Anabaptists?). From wiki:

The word catholic (derived via Late Latin catholicus, from the ancient Greek adjective καθολικός(katholikos) 'universal') comes from the Greek phrase καθόλου (katholou) 'on the whole, according to the whole, in general', and is a combination of the Greek words κατά (kata) 'about' and ὅλος (holos) 'whole'. The first known use of "Catholic" was by the church father Saint Ignatius of Antioch in his Letter to the Smyrnaeans (circa 110 AD). In the context of Christian ecclesiology, it has a rich history and several usages.​
The word in English can mean either "of the Catholic faith" or "relating to the historic doctrine and practice of the Western Church".[​
"Catholicos", the title used for the head of some churches in Eastern Christian traditions, is derived from the same linguistic origin.​
In non-ecclesiastical use, it derives its English meaning directly from its root, and is currently used to mean the following:​
  • including a wide variety of things, or all-embracing;
  • universal or of general interest;
  • having broad interests, or wide sympathies;
  • inclusive, inviting.

I've never encountered a Baptist, let alone a Baptist preacher come close to wanting to relate to Catholicism. :D

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Imo, Christians should be adhering to what is in the Bible, not to what church leaders teach, which they can change according to the direction the wind blows. The Bible says that fornication, having sex out of wedlock, is a sin, and that applies tp Protestants as well as Catholics.
You are so right!

1 Corinthians 6:9,10
Colossians 3:5,6

That’s one way you can tell who has the truth (of Christianity, which imo is complete religious truth): by observing the ones who strive to live by it, who adhere to its standards.

And the Bible goes a step further…according to 1 Corinthians 5:1,9-13, it also authorizes removing Christians from the congregation if they willfully start to engage in sexual immorality, ie., unrepentantly.

Human standards may change over time, but God’s standards don’t.

Take care, my cousin.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Which admittedly does not matter if it's actually true.
That is the truth!

IMO, many truths found in the Bible have been misconstrued, sometimes due to ambiguous wording.

But the teaching regarding sexual immorality for Christians is very clear; no amount of word play can change it.

You can see the benefits, both health wise & in other ways, by obeying them….but in this world which Satan controls (1 John 5:19; John 12:31), many do not want to.
This world has made access to sexual immorality, easy to get. Which makes it harder, to some extent, for spouses to remain loyal.