• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

***Muslims*** Why is Jesus recognized as a prophet in your religion?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Why is belief in Jesus as a prophet/Messiah even necessary in Islam? How come God can't just send Muhammad?

interminable

منتظر
Not even Jesus but all the prophets and their scriptures we should believe in
Simply because they all invited people to the oneness of almighty God
In this case there is no difference between them
Although they are distorted

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Why is belief in Jesus as a prophet/Messiah even necessary in Islam? How come God can't just send Muhammad?
Peace be on you.
Ahmadiyya-Muslim understanding:
Jesus (on whom be peace) was sent at an important stage of evolution of religion:

1=
"The reason why we need prophets is that prophets come only during an age which is distorted. They appear at a time when mankind has, as a whole but with the exception of a few, gone astray; when man has turned his back to his Lord and begun to feel the pride of knowledge; when he considers himself not dependent on any outward source and believes himself to have gained adulthood and majority; when he thinks that he does not stand in need of any outside help or any supernatural interference. Only then does God send prophets to cut man back to size with the message that either he turn to his Lord and submit to Him or else be destroyed as a civilization. And that is exactly what has happened in previous times."
https://www.alislam.org/library/links/00000055.html

2=
[61:60] And remember when Jesus, son of Mary, said, ‘O children of Israel, surely I am Allah’s Messenger unto you, fulfilling that which is before me of the Torah, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger who will come after me. His name will be Ahmad.’ And when he came to them with clear proofs, they said, ‘This is clear enchantment.’

So Jesus (a.s.), on one hand, testified for Moses (a.s.) and on other hand, foretold about Muhammad (s.a.w.).
Note 26 @ https://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/?page=2620&region=E1&CR=EN,E2&CR=EN,E2

3=
Jesus (on whom be peace) was an announcement of the change of house of prophethood to the progeny of Ishmael (on whom be peace).

4=
Holy Quran
[73:16] Verily, We have sent to you a Messenger, who is a witness over you, even as We sent a Messenger to Pharaoh.

The span of teaching of Messenger to Pharaoh, Moses (on whom be peace) continued till Jesus (on whom be peace) who came after 1400 years, for lost tribes and to teach softness as people had gone hard.

The similar coming was going to be true for Muslims to make similarity [mentioned in verse]..... A Messiah was to come in them too after 1400 years (after Holy Prophet s.a.w.) for reforms only, to make them soft , to correct misunderstood concept of Jihad @ http://www.religiousforums.com/thre...top-war-address-by-hz-khalifah-canada.191566/

, and to gather them... According to Ahmadiyya Muslims he has come.
https://www.alislam.org/introduction/index.html

Last edited:

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Salam,
The religion which God wanted to give us humans was in fact Islam. Each prophet was sent to preach Islam, however, not the compelete version of Islam. The religion which God wanted to give us humans had an evolution during human history and finally it was compeleted by Muhammad,pbuh with assigning final rules and laws.
Jesus, pbuh, has got a domonant place in Islam from different point of veiws. He,pbuh, is among five dominant prophets who got book and Shari'a. He,pbuh, is the prophet who has been saved and chosen for future generations. As he,pbuh will appear once again with Mahdi,pbuh to save the whole world. It has been prophsized by Muhammad,pbuh that they will both make a heavenly kingdom on Earth. We Muslims pray for their arrivals alot and have the duty of saving their lives when they appear on Earth once again.

Raahim

مكتوب

Jesus (peace be upon him) is important in Islam because he was Allah's messenger, those before Muhammad (peace be upon him) are accepted as Allah's messengers, however the messiah part is completely ignored in Islam and that's Christian view of Jesus (well at least part of it).

Pastek

Sunni muslim

The belief in the prophets of God are part of the religion because they are the people He choose to send us the message of monotheism and the guidance.

Also the belief of Jesus is very important in Islam because of the antichrist.

RedDragon94

So Jesus (a.s.), on one hand, testified for Moses (a.s.) and on other hand, foretold about Muhammad (s.a.w.).
So Jesus is sort of like a bridge between the two?

I also noticed that the quote you put from the Quran said that Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses. Why is that significant?

Jesus (on whom be peace) was an announcement of the change of house of prophethood to the progeny of Ishmael (on whom be peace).
Why would God change that?

RedDragon94

Jesus (peace be upon him) is important in Islam because he was Allah's messenger, those before Muhammad (peace be upon him) are accepted as Allah's messengers, however the messiah part is completely ignored in Islam and that's Christian view of Jesus (well at least part of it).
So why is Jesus even called Messiah if it's insignificant to what the religion teaches?

interminable

منتظر
How are they distorted?
Bible is clear because was written by humans and there are lots of its versions

About jew's book quran says some jewish scholars did that

Besides if we consider that weren't distorted at all again they aren't valid anymore simply because new laws always should be fulfilled
That's why Islam is the only valid divine religion
If they were valid there was any need of sending the prophet muhammad pbuh

Raahim

مكتوب
So why is Jesus even called Messiah if it's insignificant to what the religion teaches?

He is important in Islam because his final task will play huge role in Final days. However it is mentioned that Jesus ﷺ was called 'Messiah' just to put a specific person in context, not that he is the messiah. The name 'Jesus' was, far as I know, a frequent one in that time so there had to be a distinction. That title was used because the message was meant for non-Muslims. When he's a subject for Muslims, he's simply called Isa.

[...]“O Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him (God), whose name is the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, revered in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (to God)" [3:45-47, Qur'an]

Servant_of_the_One1

We believe in all prophets and that all prophets were sent with similar message: Worship Allah alone, and reject polytheism.

If we reject Jesus pbuh it means we reject Muhammad PBUH aswell

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
CORRECTION Ref. post # 3 = First, please note a correction. the verse mentioned in point # 2 is from [61:7] , (not from [61:60], sorry.)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Following is in connection with post # 9

........ Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses. Why is that significant?
Peace be on you.
Its significance is about belief in Oneness of God.
"
Jesus was a staunch believer in the oneness of God. He came to re-enforce the old commandments. He said:

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets; I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the Kingdom of heaven; but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the Kingdom of heaven". (Matthew 5:17-19)

God commanded the Israelites, according to the Old Testament:
"I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. Thou shalt have none other gods before me ... Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath or in the waters beneath the earth". (Deuteronomy 5:6-8)

Over and over again, the Old Testament has very explicitly and emphatically enjoined belief in one God:
"the Lord our God is one Lord". (Deuteronomy 6:4)

If Trinity, which is so much stressed by Christianity today, had its basis on facts, it would have been explicitly stated in the Old Testament. On the contrary, the teachings of Moses urge us to believe in one God. Jesus earnestly championed for this unity of God, as the New Testament quotes:
"And Jesus answered him. The first of all the commandments is, Hear O Israel; the Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. This is the first commandment". (Mark 12:29-30)

Moreover, Jesus said:

"And behold, one came and said unto him, 'Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?' And he said unto him. 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God, but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments'". (Matthew 19:16-17)

Thus, Jesus strongly believed in the absolute oneness of God, and enjoined others to believe in it."
Ref: https://www.alislam.org/library/books/true-christianity-leads-to-islam.html

Why would God change that?
Due to weaknesses of then-existing recipient of blessings.

Another Importance of Jesus (on whom be peace)
Jesus (a.s.) explained the meaning of prophecy of someone coming again:

"Whenever there is a prophecy of the second advent of a prophet, it means that another prophet will be raised in the spirit and power of the prophet sent earlier. Jesus himself explained this point in the case of Elijah:

"And his disciples asked him, saying, "Why then say the scribes that Elias must first corne?' 'But I say unto you, Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall the son of man suffer of them'.

"Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist". (Matthew 17:10-13

Thus Jesus declared that the prophecy of the second advent of Elijah was fulfilled in the person of John the Baptist. In the same way the prophecy of the second advent of Jesus should be understood to imply that a holy person would be raised in the spirit and power of Jesus."
Ref:https://www.alislam.org/library/books/true-christianity-leads-to-islam.html

Thank you as your reply caused attention and opportunity of correction of a reference of Quranic verse and to add another importance of Jesus .

Good wishes.

RedDragon94

We believe in all prophets and that all prophets were sent with similar message: Worship Allah alone, and reject polytheism.
If that's true why do Christians teach that God is 3 -in-1? After all, Jesus made a comment at the end of the Gospel of Matthew that says "... baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit..." [Matthew 28:19]

RedDragon94

If that's true why do Christians teach that God is 3 -in-1? After all, Jesus made a comment at the end of the Gospel of Matthew that says "... baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit..." [Matthew 28:19]
Who fabricated this lie? (Honestly, I want to know.)
However it is mentioned that Jesus ﷺ was called 'Messiah' just to put a specific person in context, not that he is the messiah.
Why is Jesus called that if that is not who he is?

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Why does God choose to progressively reveal himself through different prophets?

Scholars talk about it a lot, and I personally think that that's because human being's understanding, knowledge, supplications, requests, abilities, and.... are in an evolution that's why Islam also is in evolution.
According to Shia belifes, obtained from Quran and Hadith, God assigned the last rule, Wilayah or the rulership, by specifing twelve rulers. However, Shia and Sunni argue who these twelve succesors are. But the thing which is for sure, and accepted by many scholars of both sides, is that Ali,a.s. and Mahdi,a.s. are amonge those rulers.
Mahdi and Jesus, peace be upon them, will rule the human being in the last days.

[/QUOTE]What does that mean?
[/QUOTE]
Mahdi,pbuh, said
Pray for my arrival alot, and ask God to hasten it, in fact it is your own achievment.
Sadeq,as., the sixth seccessor in our belife, says, praying for Mahdi,pbuh is a duty.
Sadiq,pbuh also answers in responce to a Muslim who asks,'why will God hide Mahdi,pbuh from eyes for acertain period of time?.
Sadiq,
Because his,pbuh life will be in danger.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
What's the connection? Or, I guess I could ask, what is the Islamic view of the Anti-Christ?

The prophet Muhammad (saw) informed us about the danger of the antichrist and that he will lead astray many people (including muslims) saying that he is Jesus while he is not.

Muslims have to be aware of this because they must reconize Jesus when he'll come back and follow and support him.
That's why it's very important to believe in this.

In the Quran Allah said that Jesus will also be a sign for the end of time.

However it is mentioned that Jesus ﷺ was called 'Messiah' just to put a specific person in context, not that he is the messiah. That title was used because the message was meant for non-Muslims. When he's a subject for Muslims, he's simply called Isa.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense.
You can't say that Allah says things that have no means. If Jesus is called the Messiah it has a reason.
It's true that the specific meaning of the Messiah may not be very clear in the Quran but doen't mean it's a simple "title".

If the Angel Gabriel is also called the Holy Spirit it means something.

If Muhammad (saw) is the Seal of prophets it also have a sense.