• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Murder House

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Question: Would you purchase a house where you know for certain a murder has taken place even if the price is well under market value?

Story: We have an opportunity to purchase a very nice house. Five bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a large covered swimming pool that sets up against the fairways of a golf course. It is about $100K off what a similar house would normally go for in the area.

We found out last week it was taken off the market, as a buyer placed a bid which was accepted. We were of course disappointed but pleased this week to found out it had gone back on the market. However, the realtor told us why.

It turns out a neighbors dog had attacked the wife of the family living there causing serious injury. The husband had taken the neighbor to court to get the dog declared a dangerous animal, which would mean the dog would have to be put down. The husband won the case. Afterward, when the husband came home, the neighbor came over with a gun and in a rage, shot and killed the husband. The daughter who was home as well went to call the police and was also shot by the neighbor. She didn't die at the house but later died at the hospital. The neighbor then used the gun to kill himself. The wife was not at home during this.

Of course, the wife does not what to remain in the house but because of what happened is having trouble finding any buyer for the house.

For me, this is no problem. For other members of my family, it kind of is.

A couple of things to consider.

My son is worried that if you hear creaks or doors closing in the night they are going to get spooked.

It was reported in the local news so just about everyone in the area will know that a murder took place in the house. We would have school-age children in the house who may get teased or harassed about it.

If you decide later to sell the house, you would be required to disclose the information about the murder in which you may end up having the same problem in selling the house the wife has now.

If I was by myself, I'd have no problem buying the house. However, I'm not alone in this decision.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Personally i am not bothered about a properties history, we make it the home we want. However as you have stated its not just your decision.

First the easy bit, selling the house somewhere down the line. Disclosure and pricing to suite is a non thing, you will have bought it under those conditions, so you sell 100k less than the market value, so what, you bought 100k below market value anyway

The kids are the main sticking point. Children can be really nasty and taunt your kids badly if yours let it happen. My advice to the kids would be to try to reverse taunting and by daring those "friends to come see. Hey they could even charge for guided tours.

All houses creak, its fear of the history making the creaking scary. Im Im not sure how to handle this, i have 3 kids and each approach would be different

But whatever you decide, that choice should be a family decision.

Maybe consider putting in an even lower bid may sweeten the pot.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would buy it and tell the family that they are restoring the house's 'karma' by bringing their health and happiness into it.

Then buy the one next door, too, just in case. :)

ecco

Veteran Member

My son is worried that if you hear creaks or doors closing in the night they are going to get spooked.

It was reported in the local news so just about everyone in the area will know that a murder took place in the house. We would have school-age children in the house who may get teased or harassed about it.

If I was by myself, I'd have no problem buying the house. However, I'm not alone in this decision.

I think you have already answered your own question.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I would buy it and tell the family that they are restoring the house's 'karma' by bringing their health and happiness into it.

Then buy the one next door, too, just in case. :)

I tried that approach. My wife is Catholic, we had a group of ladies from the local Catholic church come by and had a prayer/ritual where they sat in the living room, through several prayers and repetitions of the Rosary then went room to room sprinkling Holy Water with a prayer for each. I suggested the same here.

I was met with a non-responsive stare that kind of let me know it wasn't going to get rid of the fear.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I would buy it and look to renovate it either gradually or at once. After all, there are entire cities where wars took place and hundreds, if not thousands, were killed there at one point or another. What would matter most to me would be that the house was presently peaceful--and I don't believe in paranormal activity or haunting anyway, much less because of a specific event that occurred somewhere.

That said, the bit about the children is by no means a small thing. If they would get bullied or frequently taunted because of where they lived, I'd probably shelve the idea of living in that house until they were older or until I made sure they wouldn't be harassed about it.

PureX

Veteran Member
I tried that approach. My wife is Catholic, we had a group of ladies from the local Catholic church come by and had a prayer/ritual where they sat in the living room, through several prayers and repetitions of the Rosary then went room to room sprinkling Holy Water with a prayer for each. I suggested the same here.

I was met with a non-responsive stare that kind of let me know it wasn't going to get rid of the fear.
Well, there is no rational response to irrational fear. So I think you're screwed on that one.

Look for another house.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Question: Would you purchase a house where you know for certain a murder has taken place even if the price is well under market value?

Story: We have an opportunity to purchase a very nice house. Five bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a large covered swimming pool that sets up against the fairways of a golf course. It is about $100K off what a similar house would normally go for in the area.

We found out last week it was taken off the market, as a buyer placed a bid which was accepted. We were of course disappointed but pleased this week to found out it had gone back on the market. However, the realtor told us why.

It turns out a neighbors dog had attacked the wife of the family living there causing serious injury. The husband had taken the neighbor to court to get the dog declared a dangerous animal, which would mean the dog would have to be put down. The husband won the case. Afterward, when the husband came home, the neighbor came over with a gun and in a rage, shot and killed the husband. The daughter who was home as well went to call the police and was also shot by the neighbor. She didn't die at the house but later died at the hospital. The neighbor then used the gun to kill himself. The wife was not at home during this.

Of course, the wife does not what to remain in the house but because of what happened is having trouble finding any buyer for the house.

A couple of things to consider.

If you decide later to sell the house, you would be required to disclose the information about the murder in which you may end up having the same problem in selling the house the wife has now.

The last owner of my house was murdered. Not sure if it was in the house or not, but it's why it was for sale. I'd buy the house myself. Maybe I can talk with the victims, let's break out the Ouija board.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Reminds me of the house made famous by the Amityville Horror.

Yeah. If a couple of frauds/delusional scammers like the Warrens urged me to accept a hefty sum so they could explore my "haunted" house, I'd be really hard-pressed to say no. Make scammers less rich without getting hurt in the process? Why not? :p