• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MRI Test

Saw11_2000

I have to go in and get one done on Tuesday. What are they like? I'm very clausterphobic, so the doctors are giving me some sedatives.

TheHeretic

Like all things good, its an experience you want to be sober for!

On a serious note, you have nothing to worry about. I have seen one done, all you is stay still and think happy thoughts...

Pah

Uber all member
Saw11_2000 said:
I have to go in and get one done on Tuesday. What are they like? I'm very clausterphobic, so the doctors are giving me some sedatives.
Hoping that and the mirror helps. I haven't had one and probably can't but I understand it can really help a diagnosis. Best of luck, Saw - I'll think about you! (Gail too!)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Saw11_2000 said:
Hey Saw, I'm the worst coward on the planet; I've had two MRI's, and I'm still here. When you 'go in the tube' , (at least here in England-must be the same for you) they give you a 'panic button' so that if at any time you feel scared, you can be pulled out in a second or so.

I was even allowed to take a CD of my favourite music; they provide you with headphones, so that you know what is going on. It sounds a bit frightening, and if you are clausterphobic, I think I can understand why you are worrying. If I said 'don't worry', that would be silly; just take even deep breaths, regulate your breathing so as to be comfortable, close your eyes, and imagine your favourite scene - a beach, whatever makes you feel good. Good luck, and I'll say it anyway; DON'T WORRY!!!
I'll be waiting to hear about it, and how well it went.:)

Saw11_2000

I'm hoping with the help of the sedatives I will be very comfortable. I just read about how just inside of the machine, there is liquid helium at like -290 degrees. I also read if even you have tiny shreds of metal in your eye, the machine will rip them out and make you blind. I was working near metal workers 2 days ago.

TheHeretic

Saw11_2000 said:
I'm hoping with the help of the sedatives I will be very comfortable. I just read about how just inside of the machine, there is liquid helium at like -290 degrees. I also read if even you have tiny shreds of metal in your eye, the machine will rip them out and make you blind. I was working near metal workers 2 days ago.
I would stop reading... now.

Paranoia is normal, but is unnessecary.

If it rips your eyes out, sue them for millons! Then, as technology improves, get new, better eyes!

martha

The truth, from an old chicken.

The first time I had to have one, I freaked out and they couldn't do it. You are put in feet first and it moves slowly. When it got to my chest I started to hyperventilate and told them to get me out! I had to leave. Then I found something called an open MRI. The machine is not quite so cylindrical, or tube shaped. They gave me headphones to listen to some music and told me not to move a muscle. So if you have any scratching to do, you had better do it before you get in. Of course, once you are in it you will find that somewhere on you body there will be an urge to scratch! Ignore it, to give in to movement will only make you have to do it again. There is a beating sound almost like a helicopter or a video game sound. So perhaps you can envision one of your favorite video games and that you are virtually in it and playing it in your mind. Keep your eyes closed at all times. Do not give in to the urge to open them. Keep your breathing slow and even. I don't know if you want to keep repeating a certain sound like the chant of Ohm, but it couldn't hurt. The second time I had one I took a mild sedative about a half an hour before hand and was so relaxed I was huming. The third time I had to have a brain scan, (they found nothing!) this time I went in head first to my waist. It was cool, I made it. If you take no other advice, just take this. Do not open your eyes under any circumstances. Just pretend you are in outer space somewhere and you will be fine.

If one thing doesn't work for you then switch to another image. I had to do this a few times. Just keep your mind focused on anything other than where you are, ok? If they give you a sedative, you will have nothing to worry about. Good luck, and let us know how it went.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Saw -

I don't know about where you are, but here in Houston, there is at least one open stand-up MRI machine. It is similar to leaning against the wall in an alcove; there is nothing directly in front of you, and you are standing up during the scan. Of course you must hold completely still, as with any such scan........

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Saw -

I'll back up what Martha said. I've had three MRI's and I'm not at all claustraphobic. That said, the last one I had was in a machine that was so close to my face, I could feel my own breath as I exhaled through my nose. Just close your eyes, and drift off to that first girlfriend you had, or your next trip to the beach.
I opened my eyes at one point and I couldn't believe how close the machine was to my face. Again, I'm not claustraphobic, but that was a bit close, even for me. If you get the sedative, be sure to ask for it orally - the needles are such a pain... :)

TVOR

PS - you'll be fine.

Master Vigil

I had an MRI two years ago. Luckily it was an open MRI, so I didn't flip out. :D But it was SOOOO boring!!! I was in there for almost 2 hours, and you have to lie completely still!! Luckily with my meditation experience, I was able to meditate for atleast half of it. And they put on the radio station I requested. Overall, it wasn't bad, but not something I really want to do again.

Saw11_2000

pah said:
We'll be just outside!!
Wow...I'm back already. That thing was so easy. I didn't hear anything too loud, but they gave me headphones. I'm still under the effect of the sedatives though. Those things are powerful. When I first got in the machine I was absolutely terrified, but just as I got to the back of the tunnel I started to feel tingly and everything after that I started to forget and stuff and I was not scared, and it went fast, I could feel the magnets. Now I'm back now, and still under the sedatives. I might sound a little weird in my posts.