• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr Rogers on Death

Laika

Premium Member
I saw an article on the independent about Fred Rogers making a comeback on the internet and, not knowing who he was, beyond hearing his name a few times, took a look on Youtube. I really don't know where this belongs or what really can be said about it but I thought I'd share it anyway. Enjoy! :)

Baladas

An Págánach
I think that death is something that many are afraid to speak to children about. It was hard for me to tell my 5-year-old what had happened to my older family dogs (who had lived with my parents). I cried for those dogs. Death is a harsh reality, but I believe that it is far more healthy to discuss it than to pretend that we are immortal.

Also, I grew up with Mr. Rogers and I loved him. He was almost like a TV grandpa to me since mine lived out of state.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that death is something that many are afraid to speak to children about. It was hard for me to tell my 5-year-old what had happened to my older family dogs (who had lived with my parents). I cried for those dogs. Death is a harsh reality, but I believe that it is far more healthy to discuss it than to pretend that we are immortal.

It's super important that we are clear and honest with children about death.
My kids have dealt with 2 dogs passing. It's super painful for them, but that's as it should be. And once the greive they can happily talk about those pets, remember them, laugh, etc.

Some other people were horrified that we'd tell our young kids that the dogs had died. We even had well meaning people telloing them 'theyve just gone to live on a farm' or 'theyre in doggie heaven's, both of which was confusing for our kids.

The farm one in particular is hard to explain.

Baladas

An Págánach
It's super important that we are clear and honest with children about death.
My kids have dealt with 2 dogs passing. It's super painful for them, but that's as it should be. And once the greive they can happily talk about those pets, remember them, laugh, etc.

Some other people were horrified that we'd tell our young kids that the dogs had died. We even had well meaning people telloing them 'theyve just gone to live on a farm' or 'theyre in doggie heaven's, both of which was confusing for our kids.

The farm one in particular is hard to explain.

I completely agree.