• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie: "Boys Don't Cry"

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
standing_alone said:
I took my dad's credit card (with his permission, of course) and bought this movie off the internet today! I can't wait to get it and watch it! :bounce
Be prepared to get teary. I howled like a frickin' baby at the end. :(

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
standing_alone said:
Oh, I will. Movies make me cry all the time. I'm such a sensitive loser!
Sensitive, yes; loser, no. Cause that'd make me a loser too. :p I'm crying at everything today. :rolleyes:

nutshell

For some reason, Hillary Swank bugs me. I like her movies, I guess, but there's something about her that doesn't sit well with me, but I can't put my finger on it.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
nutshell said:
For some reason, Hillary Swank bugs me. I like her movies, I guess, but there's something about her that doesn't sit well with me, but I can't put my finger on it.
I dunno, I've only ever seen her in this movie. :confused:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jensa said:
If you think Brandon pretended to be anything, I think you kind of missed the point of the movie.
He meant well, Jensa.

In my experience, these things don't get talked about often enough partly because people are afraid that if they say the wrong thing they'll get attacked for it. But if we don't talk about it then we'll never learn.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
lilithu said:
He meant well, Jensa.

In my experience, these things don't get talked about often enough partly because people are afraid that if they say the wrong thing they'll get attacked for it. But if we don't talk about it then we'll never learn.
At this point, I almost wish I had never started this thread. I had no desire to instigate a semantic/political battle; I simply wanted to recommend a movie which I found enjoyable and meaningful. Each viewer has the right to interpet the movie in his/her own way. For my part, I saw the main character as being a person who was male "on the inside" (i.e., felt like a male and wanted to be male) but lacked external male sex organs. He/she pretended to be 100% male in order to satisfy his/her internal gender identification and preference. I believe he/she was totally justified in doing so, and the horrible price he/she had to pay for his/her actions was totally UNJUSTIFIED. It is incredible how cruel human beings can be to one another. :eek:

P.S. I think it's time the grammar gurus did away with gender-specific pronouns. It would make writing and speaking a whole lot easier. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
retrorich said:
At this point, I almost wish I had never started this thread.
I am glad you started the thread. :) It was a very good movie with a perspective that needs to be seen more, and you clearly motivated some people to see it. So thank you.

btw, Chinese doesn't use gender specific pronouns. :p

Buttercup

Veteran Member
standing_alone said:
I've finally seen the movie. I liked it. Very, very sad movie.

I cried several time during the whole movie. Very, very good flick but depressingly sad story. Hillary Swank was amazing in it.

And yes, Million Dollar Baby is another good one.