• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie “The discovery”

Jadamas

I watched the movie yesterday.

First, I would like to know if there’s currently researchs by scientists to prove the existence of an afterlife.

When watching the movie, I was surprised to see the quantity of people deciding to suicide just because they know for sure that there’s an afterlife. Do you think that it is realistic?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

First, I would like to know if there’s currently researchs by scientists to prove the existence of an afterlife.

When watching the movie, I was surprised to see the quantity of people deciding to suicide just because they know for sure that there’s an afterlife. Do you think that it is realistic?

Hello. I found that movie a bit disturbing but thought provoking and I liked it.

As for scientic evidence for an afterlife, I do not see how that would be possible. But considering the fairly dramatic increase in the suicide rate (in the US at least) in the last decade or so ( CDC: U.S. Suicide Rates Have Climbed Dramatically ) as it is, perhaps, as the movie suggests, such knowledge would be a horrible tragedy.

Peace

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
On;y the dumb ones would partake in this mass suicide. Mostly because they don't know which afterlife they'll end up in.:eek:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The methodology of the sciences is incapable of researching the existence of an afterlife. That is, the sciences can tell us nothing about it, one way or the other.

HonestJoe

The methodology of the sciences is incapable of researching the existence of an afterlife. That is, the sciences can tell us nothing about it, one way or the other.
What makes you say that? What do you believe makes any kind of “afterlife” fundamentally different to, say, ancient history, distant stars or the inside of the sun as to make it completely inaccessible via any form of scientific process? Note that there is a difference between what is theoretically possible via scientific method and our current capabilities in using it.

Anyway, isn’t your position internally contradictory? If we can’t study the afterlife in any way, how can you make any definitive statements about it, including declaring that it can’t be studied?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The grass is always greener...

Perhaps it is why we are kept in the dark. Not that I particularly believe it true but perhaps we need to learn something in this life. To struggle through some adversity. If you didn't like the current state, it be easy to check out hoping for better circumstances in the next life.

Even in the movie it's be a little weird, you regret something you did, you'd just check out so you get a do-over. Currently, there's no redos that we know of in life.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
As for scientic evidence for an afterlife, I do not see how that would be possible.
Relativity suggests that our pasts remain - that yesterday is not truly gone and tomorrow already exists despite our inability to see it. In a way its a kind of afterlife if you allow it. It means each moment is eternal.

Have you ever heard the song Don't Fear the Reaper?

Then again quantum and string theories could be interpreted to suggest that we are all really one person living multiple lives unknowingly, that you and I are really the same particle expressed different ways and at different times. That is less well accepted than Relativity, but it could be true.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

First, I would like to know if there’s currently research by scientists to prove the existence of an afterlife.

Real research by real scientist does not prove anything.

There are some scientists that are researching these claims, but it is fraught with difficulties as being subjective and not the purview of fallible hypothesis concerning objective verifiable evidence.

No, if the case it is very sad.