• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most amazing picture ever?

Nimos

What do you consider the most amazing and important image ever?

To me, it must be when Carl Sagan convinced NASA to take a picture of Earth. It might be poor quality and all. But still it puts so much of humanity, life and what it means to exists into perspective, that I really can't see anything beating it anytime soon.

Pale-Blue-Dot-2.jpg

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

To me, it must be when Carl Sagan convinced NASA to take a picture of Earth. It might be poor quality and all. But still it puts so much of humanity, life and what it means to exists into perspective, that I really can't see anything beating it anytime soon.

Pale-Blue-Dot-2.jpg
I agree that's a very impressive photo...I'd also like to nominate the Apollo 8 "Earthrise"...
earthrise.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Pale-Blue-Dot-2.jpg

It certainly puts everything into perspective. We're just a tiny ball of mud floating around inside a bubble of air. Seems kind of precarious when you think about it.

Another site that puts things into perspective is this one: If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel - A tediously accurate map of the solar system

We are really, really tiny.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Just look how humble is this Shia Muslim scholar..
when he talked to a poor man, he sat on the ground and under the sun, talking to this poor man and giving him his full attention..

humbleness of Sh.jpg

Heyo

Veteran Member

Pale-Blue-Dot-2.jpg

What I thought when I read the headline.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

Pale-Blue-Dot-2.jpg
Was this from Voyager?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Pale-Blue-Dot-2.jpg

I think I can see my house from here. :thumbsup:

Nimos

Was this from Voyager?
Yeah.

Pale Blue Dot is a photograph of planet Earth taken on February 14, 1990, by the Voyager 1 space probe from a record distance of about 6 billion kilometers (3.7 billion miles, 40.5 AU), as part of that day's Family Portrait series of images of the Solar System.

In the photograph, Earth's apparent size is less than a pixel; the planet appears as a tiny dot against the vastness of space, among bands of sunlight reflected by the camera.

Voyager 1, which had completed its primary mission and was leaving the Solar System, was commanded by NASA to turn its camera around and take one last photograph of Earth across a great expanse of space, at the request of astronomer and author Carl Sagan. The term "Pale Blue Dot" was coined by Carl Sagan in his reflections of the photograph's significance, documented in his book of the same name, Pale Blue Dot.

6 billion kilometers away and its just about to leaving our solar system. To me the distance is so great that its not really easy for humans to comprehend what it really means, I think.

The distance around the Earth at the Equator, its circumference, is 40,075 kilometers (24,901 miles).

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
6 billion kilometers away and its just about to leaving our solar system. To me the distance is so great that its not really easy for humans to comprehend what it really means, I think.

The distance around the Earth at the Equator, its circumference, is 40,075 kilometers (24,901 miles).
I don't think any human is capable of comprehending even roughly such a distance. One can walk a kilometer in a matter of minutes, but to walk 6 billion of them? Tens of billions of minutes? that's on the order of 19,000 years, walking continuously...

That's not comprehensible.

In fact, although some people have walked, jogged or run the equivalent of 40,000 kilometers (in fact, a man in Springfield, Illinois, following the moon landings, made it his life goal to jog the distance to the moon...he ran everywhere he went each day, every day...if I remember correctly, he only completed his task a few years ago...still trying to find a link to his story), I think it's still a stretch to say that someone REALLY comprehends such distances, paltry though they are on the cosmic scale.

Nimos

I don't think any human is capable of comprehending even roughly such a distance. One can walk a kilometer in a matter of minutes, but to walk 6 billion of them? Tens of billions of minutes? that's on the order of 19,000 years, walking continuously...

That's not comprehensible.

In fact, although some people have walked, jogged or run the equivalent of 40,000 kilometers (in fact, a man in Springfield, Illinois, following the moon landings, made it his life goal to jog the distance to the moon...he ran everywhere he went each day, every day...if I remember correctly, he only completed his task a few years ago...still trying to find a link to his story), I think it's still a stretch to say that someone REALLY comprehends such distances, paltry though they are on the cosmic scale.
Yeah its kind of absurd.

This is from Neil Degrasse Tyson which is also kind of funny:
A more serious problem is the limited capacity of the human mind to grasp the relative magnitudes of large numbers:

Counting at the rate of one number per second, you will require 12 days to count to a million and 32 years to count to a billion. To count to a trillion will take 32,000 years, which is as much time as has elapsed since people first drew on cave walls.

If laid end to end, the hundred billion (or so) hamburgers sold by the McDonalds restaurant chain would stretch around the Earth 275 times leaving enough left over to stack the rest from Earth to the Moon and back.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
And a lot of these scholars want Iran to have the atomic bomb.

i personally don't think that a religious government should be established before the arrival of the savior..

on the other hand, i don't see that many of the countries with atomic bombs are ruled by people who are more trustworthy than the Iranian leaders.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Just look how humble is this Shia Muslim scholar..
when he talked to a poor man, he sat on the ground and under the sun, talking to this poor man and giving him his full attention..

View attachment 34923

...Not sure what's so "amazing" about that. Is it typically unusual to see something like that in the Muslim world?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
i personally don't think that a religious government should be established before the arrival of the savior..

on the other hand, i don't see that many of the countries with atomic bombs are ruled by people who are more trustworthy than the Iranian leaders.

Didn't the Iranian government just kill thousands of their own citizens for protesting gasoline prices?

PruePhillip

The issue for many is this - no-one thinks of Donald Trump as a religious man.
We are told that the Supreme Leader Kamani of Iran is a religious man. When
he, and his clerical followers, decide to do some terrorist act, they are doing so
IN THE NAME OF GOD.