• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morocco Has Its Deadliest Earthquake in Decades, with over 1,000 Killed so Far

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Morocco has suffered its deadliest earthquake in decades, resulting in over 1,000 deaths so far:

AMIZMIZ, Morocco, Sept 9 (Reuters) - Rescuers dug through rubble for survivors in collapsed houses in remote mountain villages of Morocco on Saturday, in the wake of the country's deadliest earthquake for more than six decades, which killed more than 1,000 people.

The quake which struck in Morocco's High Atlas mountains late on Friday night damaged historic buildings in Marrakech - the nearest city to the epicentre - while the most of the fatalities were reported in mountainous areas to the south.

The Interior Ministry said 1,037 people had been killed and another 672 injured by the quake, gauged by the U.S. Geological Survey at a magnitude of 6.8 with an epicentre some 72 km (45 miles) southwest of Marrakech.

Multiple countries around the world have offered aid and condolences:

This is a major tragedy. My thoughts are with Moroccans, especially the ones who have lost people or property in this disaster.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Morocco has suffered its deadliest earthquake in decades, resulting in over 1,000 deaths so far:

This is a major tragedy. My thoughts are with Moroccans, especially the ones who have lost people or property in this disaster.
Yes, 1000 already. The final total could easily be twice that. I visited Marrakesh some years ago.

Apparently the Atlas mountains are a manifestation of a convergent plate boundary, between the African and European plates. So earthquakes are to be expected: Role of the Atlas Mountains (northwest Africa) within the African-Eurasian plate-boundary zone | Geology | GeoScienceWorld. However, as in much of the Mediterranean, the style of building is (unlike, say, that of Japan) not at all resistant to shaking. Chunks of concrete and masonry fall and a lot of people die.:(

We Never Know

No Slack

Up to over 2000 deaths and counting. Sad deal.

"More than 2,000 people were killed, and the toll was expected to rise as rescuers struggled Saturday to reach hard-hit remote areas. The magnitude 6.8 quake, the biggest to hit the North African country in 120 years, sent people fleeing their homes in terror and disbelief late Friday."