• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormons and baptism in other Christian denominations

keithnurse

On another thread a LDS member said LDS recognizes members of other denominations as Christians but other denominations don't give Mormons the same recognition. I was wondering whether or not it really is true that LDS recognize Lutherans, Catholics, Baptists as Christians. When I spoke to two LDS missionaries and studied with them briefly, they started talking to me about baptism and that I needed to be baptized. I told them I had already been baptized in a Lutheran church. They completely ignored my statement and just went on talking about the need for baptism. I again stated I had already been baptized. They would not address the question forthrightly. That completely turned me off. If they had just been honest and said "the LDS church does not consider your previous baptism to be valid" I could have respected that and either agreed or disagreed, but they seemed to be running away from the issue and that turned me off. Does the LDS church or does it not recognize baptisms done by Lutherans, Baptists, Catholics etc?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
On another thread a LDS member said LDS recognizes members of other denominations as Christians but other denominations don't give Mormons the same recognition. I was wondering whether or not it really is true that LDS recognize Lutherans, Catholics, Baptists as Christians. When I spoke to two LDS missionaries and studied with them briefly, they started talking to me about baptism and that I needed to be baptized. I told them I had already been baptized in a Lutheran church. They completely ignored my statement and just went on talking about the need for baptism. I again stated I had already been baptized. They would not address the question forthrightly. That completely turned me off. If they had just been honest and said "the LDS church does not consider your previous baptism to be valid" I could have respected that and either agreed or disagreed, but they seemed to be running away from the issue and that turned me off. Does the LDS church or does it not recognize baptisms done by Lutherans, Baptists, Catholics etc?
No, we don't recognize the baptisms performed by other Christian denominations and I'm kind of surprised that the missionaries hedged when you told them you'd been baptized. We believe baptism to be a sacred ordinance that absolutely must be performed by someone holding the proper authority. This is why Jesus specifically sought out His cousin, John, to baptize Him. We believe that the authority John the Baptist held has been restored to the earth and is used today to perform that ordinance by men who hold the Aaronic Priesthood in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I personally believe very strongly that authority is needed to perform this ordinance and that it can't be performed by just anybody who feels like dunking their friend or neighbor.

On the other hand, we don't believe that a person must be baptized and confirmed in our Church to be considered a Christian. We believe that anyone who believes in Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of God, who looks to Him as his Savior and Redeemer, who seeks to emulate Him in his daily life, and who considers himself to be a Christian has every right to make that claim.

keithnurse

Thanks, that is a good clear answer. The missionaries I am guessing were trying to avoid offending me but I was more turned off by their avoidance of my questions. BTW, what is confirmation in the LDS church? I was originally baptized and confirmed Lutheran. For them, the baptismal vows your parents and sponsors took for you when baptized as an infant, at confirmation, usually around age 13-14, you take those vows for yourself, "confirming" that you are at the age of taking more responsibility for your continued growth in the faith and you are ready to take communion.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thanks, that is a good clear answer. The missionaries I am guessing were trying to avoid offending me but I was more turned off by their avoidance of my questions.
I would have been, too.

BTW, what is confirmation in the LDS church? I was originally baptized and confirmed Lutheran. For them, the baptismal vows your parents and sponsors took for you when baptized as an infant, at confirmation, usually around age 13-14, you take those vows for yourself, "confirming" that you are at the age of taking more responsibility for your continued growth in the faith and you are ready to take communion.
One of our Articles of Faith (which is the closest thing you will find in our church to a creed) states, "We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the gospel are: first, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, repentance; third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and fourth, the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost."

We normally baptize children whose parents are LDS at the age of eight. Obviously, converts are baptized at any age after that. Confirmation, which involves "the laying on of hands for the Gift of the Holy Ghost" follows baptism, either immediately (as in within minutes) or up to several days later. Baptism is performed by someone holding the Aaronic Priesthood. Confirmation is performed by several men holding the Melchizedek Priesthood. It involves them laying their hands on the head of the person being confirmed, stating the person's full name, and saying "We lay our hands upon your head and confirm you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and say unto you, 'Receive the Holy Ghost.'"

You need to understand that we believe a person can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost prior to baptism, but that we see the "Gift of the Holy Ghost" as being somewhat different. It is a promise that the presence of the Holy Ghost will be with the person continually, provided that person is diligently striving to keep God's commandments and remain faithful to the covenant he entered into at baptism.