• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormon Beliefs

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
They'll probably continue to do door-to-door proselytizing in some areas and under certain circumstances. This article more or less explains the new policy. Knocking on doors has long been recognized as perhaps the least effective way there is to find potential converts, and the Church is becoming well-enough known that in many parts of the world, the missionaries don't have to look that far for people who are interested in learning about it. Most converts these days are the result of referrals from members of the Church whose friends have expressed an interest in learning more.
Nice, that's pretty cool. Not as exciting as a mission, but still very useful. Friends of members is probably one of the most effective ways though. :)

danieldemol

Premium Member
I've never actually met a Baha'i. Is there an area where there's a large concentration of them in the US?

You will probably find a concentration of them at 100 Wilmette ave IL on a Sunday, however I would be very surprised if there are none in you're area.

I suppose if you are curious you could always call toll free 1‑800‑228‑6483 (ie 1-800-22UNITE), or go through the local spiritual assembly (LSA) contact links at Where are the Baha'is? | Baha'i Faith : Local :)

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
You will probably find a concentration of them at 100 Wilmette ave IL on a Sunday, however I would be very surprised if there are none in you're area.

I suppose if you are curious you could always call toll free 1‑800‑228‑6483 (ie 1-800-22UNITE), or go through the local spiritual assembly (LSA) contact links at Where are the Baha'is? | Baha'i Faith : Local :)

Says there's a Baha'i Center a few blocks from my place. I've never seen it before, but then again that could be because I wasn't looking for it. I'm gonna go check that out

They also don't seem to like The Cape or the Berkshires. Who can blame them though? No conveniences and a **** ton of mosquitoes...

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nice, that's pretty cool. Not as exciting as a mission, but still very useful. Friends of members is probably one of the most effective ways though. :)
Well, I guess that getting doors slammed in your face all day could be considered exciting, but I have a hunch that most missionaries are really, really happy about the change. Once the initial contact is made online and the person expresses an interest in learning more about the Church, they get together face-to-face, just like in the past. The new system is just going to avoid a lot of wasted time (both for the missionaries and for the people who see them as a bother).

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Well, I guess that getting doors slammed in your face all day could be considered exciting, but I have a hunch that most missionaries are really, really happy about the change. Once the initial contact is made online and the person expresses an interest in learning more about the Church, they get together face-to-face, just like in the past. The new system is just going to avoid a lot of wasted time (both for the missionaries and for the people who see them as a bother).
Yeah, but the ability to go place to place is still cool. ;)

I was always nice to the missionaries (but I'm a nice guy :D). We made friends with two that my family and I even took them on a day trip to the Black Country Living Museum and the Iron Bridge on one of their days off, and they took us to a General Conference to watch Gordon B. Hinckley speak; turns out one of my mother's neighbours is Mormon, we never knew. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Actually, it's not just the method of finding people to teach that is changing. In at least some missions, missionaries will no longer be required to wear dark suits. Some will even be able to wear khakis. And in more tropical areas, they'll be able to wear closed-toed sandals. The final decision will be left up to the individual Mission Presidents, but it sounds like a good change to me.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Actually, it's not just the method of finding people to teach that is changing. In at least some missions, missionaries will no longer be required to wear dark suits. Some will even be able to wear khakis. And in more tropical areas, they'll be able to wear closed-toed sandals. The final decision will be left up to the individual Mission Presidents, but it sounds like a good change to me.

What is with the closed toe sandals bit... Not what Jesus wore ....

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

That is actually an overall better system for outreach. Time can be focused on people who actually care, and the heathen folk can eat in peace.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

Missionaries have a dress code? That's a little restrictive.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Missionaries have a dress code?
You didn't know that? I thought everybody knew how to spot a Mormon missionary. ;)

That's a little restrictive.
Yeah. So what? If they are official representatives of a larger group, they should be fairly easy to recognize. A lot of groups (religious and otherwise) have a dress code, particularly when their members are interacting with those outside of the group in an official capacity. Anyway, they'll still be wearing their recognizable name tags, which will give you the opportunity to run and hide when you see them coming.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I usually spot them because they're the only white people walking down the street; never really paid much attention to what they're wearing.
Wait... you live in Boston. When I was in Boston, I saw a lot of white people walking down the street. Are you saying you only notice skin color and are oblivious to dress? Mormon missionaries have previously come in all colors ;), but they all have dressed almost exactly alike.

I just don't see how the message is any less relevant in khakis.
Funny, I don't recall saying it is. (See my last post; I updated it at the same time as you were posting your last post.)

Last edited:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Wait... you live in Boston. When I was in Boston, I saw a lot of white people walking down the street.
Then you probably didn't go to Dorchester. I don't exactly live in the financial district lol. There are a couple Irish in the area, but for the most part, everybody's black, Hispanic, or Vietnamese. Most of the white people migrated down Dorchester Ave to Southie.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Then you probably didn't go to Dorchester. I don't exactly live in the financial district lol. There are a couple Irish in the area, but for the most part, everybody's black, Hispanic, or Vietnamese. Most of the white people migrated down Dorchester Ave to Southie.
No, I guess I must have missed Dorchester. Here are some pictures of some typical Mormon missionaries...

idea

Question Everything
Actually, with respect to the ones who knock on your door when you're trying to eat, you're in luck: The LDS Church recently announced that missionaries are going to be doing a lot less door-to-door proselytizing from now on and are going to be finding potential converts via the internet, etc. instead.

That's interesting (although our last convert baptism was the result of a door-to-door). I always thought it would be fun if they held up signs with positive messages at busy traffic intersections, and handed out pass along cards at the stop-lights, at least you would see a lot more people that way.

Imagine missionaries with signs like this:
KarmaTube: Messages We Give

or they could get some kind of dance thing going:
KarmaTube: The Gratitude Dance

Our missionaries play the Uke, but they don't let them have one :( ... I think they should definitely be allowed to bring instruments on their mission!!!