• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Wine Please

WalterTrull

Godfella
I’ve been thinking a lot about the bread and wine thing lately. In the context of “…one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law,” the analgesic nature of wine occurs to me.

Is it possible that Christ comes not to save us from the law, but perhaps to ease the pain? Jesus shed his blood to apparently die and then return in the same body, easing the pain of the fear of death at least. If we could somehow eat (understand) the true nature of his body, as in not the source of his life, and apply that to our circumstances, that would be quite empowering. And yet, no jot or tittle…

I have truly not completely thought this out, but it nags at me.

Anyone else thought along these lines?

idav

Being
Premium Member
The body that Christ refers to is the the bread of life as found in the OT as "manna from heaven".
John 6:35

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Please consider this, that he saves us from a doom of living only by rules; and this is contrasted against the way Jews live. Before being in Christ we are considered aliens from the house of faith, and so we are considered barbarians who have to be given rules to live by. These are the Noachide laws which Paul rejects in favor of the law of the spirit, but he never speaks against the Mosaic law. He loves the Mosaic law. The laws he does not like are the Noachide law and the law of sin and death that is in people, both of which are referenced by him in Romans though he just says 'Law' most of the time which can be confusing. Please allow me to quote from a great book I recently found:

"Phrases such as 'the curse of the Law' and similar terms, such as 'the bondage of the Law,' 'works of the Law,' and 'under the Law,' could be better understood as the curse of the Word of God that comes upon those who violate God's Law. There is no curse of the Law on anyone except, as Paul said, those who misuse it. (1 Timothy 1:8). Remember, the phrases 'under the Law' and 'words of the Law' were only used by Paul when addressing Gentile congregations who had been mistakenly taught that they had to keep the Law of the Jewish covenant to be saved. It would be the worst of mistakes to believe that Paul taught that God's Law was bad, especially since he clearly taught that the Law properly understood was 'holy, just, and good' (Romans 7:12)" -- from Yeshua: A guide to the Real Jesus and the Original Church by Dr. Ron Moseley in chapter 3 The Curse of the Law 1st paragraph

WalterTrull

Godfella
The body that Christ refers to is the the bread of life as found in the OT as "manna from heaven".
John 6:35
OK. Bread of life, manna from heaven, I would think, kind of defining the true nature of Jesus' physical body.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Please consider this, that he saves us from a doom of living only by rules; and this is contrasted against the way Jews live. Before being in Christ we are considered aliens from the house of faith, and so we are considered barbarians who have to be given rules to live by. These are the Noachide laws which Paul rejects in favor of the law of the spirit, but he never speaks against the Mosaic law. He loves the Mosaic law. The laws he does not like are the Noachide law and the law of sin and death that is in people, both of which are referenced by him in Romans though he just says 'Law' most of the time which can be confusing. Please allow me to quote from a great book I recently found:

"Phrases such as 'the curse of the Law' and similar terms, such as 'the bondage of the Law,' 'works of the Law,' and 'under the Law,' could be better understood as the curse of the Word of God that comes upon those who violate God's Law. There is no curse of the Law on anyone except, as Paul said, those who misuse it. (1 Timothy 1:8). Remember, the phrases 'under the Law' and 'words of the Law' were only used by Paul when addressing Gentile congregations who had been mistakenly taught that they had to keep the Law of the Jewish covenant to be saved. It would be the worst of mistakes to believe that Paul taught that God's Law was bad, especially since he clearly taught that the Law properly understood was 'holy, just, and good' (Romans 7:12)" -- from Yeshua: A guide to the Real Jesus and the Original Church by Dr. Ron Moseley in chapter 3 The Curse of the Law 1st paragraph

Ok, there's a lot to look up there, - I'll give it a try. I have a hunch that the "jot and tittle" reference is to none of man's laws, but to God's law, which I'm not sure we quite understand yet. I think probably the written laws of various religions, even science, are looking through the glass darkly.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
OK. Bread of life, manna from heaven, I would think, kind of defining the true nature of Jesus' physical body.
Or, ...

In the Biblical account, the name manna is said to derive from the question man hu, seemingly meaning "What is it?";[20] this is perhaps an Aramaic etymology, not a Hebrew one.[17] Man is possibly cognate with the Arabic term man, meaning plant lice, with man hu thus meaning "this is plant lice",[17] which fits one widespread modern identification of manna, the crystallized honeydew of certain scale insects.[17][21] In the environment of a desert, such honeydew rapidly dries due to evaporation of its water content, becoming a sticky solid, and later turning whitish, yellowish, or brownish;[17] honeydew of this form is considered a delicacy in the Middle East, and is a good source of carbohydrates.[21] In particular, there is a scale insect that feeds on tamarisk, the Tamarisk manna scale (Trabutina mannipara), which is often considered to be the prime candidate for biblical manna.[wiki]​

WalterTrull

Godfella
Or, ...

In the Biblical account, the name manna is said to derive from the question man hu, seemingly meaning "What is it?";[20] this is perhaps an Aramaic etymology, not a Hebrew one.[17] Man is possibly cognate with the Arabic term man, meaning plant lice, with man hu thus meaning "this is plant lice",[17] which fits one widespread modern identification of manna, the crystallized honeydew of certain scale insects.[17][21] In the environment of a desert, such honeydew rapidly dries due to evaporation of its water content, becoming a sticky solid, and later turning whitish, yellowish, or brownish;[17] honeydew of this form is considered a delicacy in the Middle East, and is a good source of carbohydrates.[21] In particular, there is a scale insect that feeds on tamarisk, the Tamarisk manna scale (Trabutina mannipara), which is often considered to be the prime candidate for biblical manna.[wiki]​
eewwww.:eek:

Tmac

I’ve been thinking a lot about the bread and wine thing lately. In the context of “…one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law,” the analgesic nature of wine occurs to me.

Is it possible that Christ comes not to save us from the law, but perhaps to ease the pain? Jesus shed his blood to apparently die and then return in the same body, easing the pain of the fear of death at least. If we could somehow eat (understand) the true nature of his body, as in not the source of his life, and apply that to our circumstances, that would be quite empowering. And yet, no jot or tittle…

I have truly not completely thought this out, but it nags at me.

Anyone else thought along these lines?

I wonder what you are looking for?
The blessed cringe and now this. You do know that your relationship with what you believe is completely unique to you. Trust yourself.
What is the law, the will of God or the will of the people?

WalterTrull

Godfella
I wonder what you are looking for?
Just trying to light up the path a little. Unfortunately, I think my flashlight could use some new batteries.

The blessed cringe and now this.
Oh, the cringe was just what I feared was a blemish on my psyche. I guess I was just looking for confirmation.

You do know that your relationship with what you believe is completely unique to you.
Sometimes I think so, but other times I see not too distant, fellow wayfarers.

What is the law, the will of God or the will of the people?
The Law is the Law of God. It is neither the will of God nor the will of the people. Has nothing to do with will, - just like gravity. (Well maybe gravity is not the perfect analogy. I'm sure someone will come up with a situation where gravity doesn't work or behave properly.)

Trust yourself.
In God We Trust, - sometimes difficult, but the only path and apparent solution.

Tmac

Just trying to light up the path a little. Unfortunately, I think my flashlight could use some new batteries.

Oh, the cringe was just what I feared was a blemish on my psyche. I guess I was just looking for confirmation.

Sometimes I think so, but other times I see not too distant, fellow wayfarers.

The Law is the Law of God. It is neither the will of God nor the will of the people. Has nothing to do with will, - just like gravity. (Well maybe gravity is not the perfect analogy. I'm sure someone will come up with a situation where gravity doesn't work or behave properly.)

In God We Trust, - sometimes difficult, but the only path and apparent solution.

Did you read the part, Not my will but thine.

It maybe God's Law but we only know it by the interpretation of it that came before us. If you really knew it to be God's Law how could you break it?