• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More evidence as to non-humans just being the dumb, instinctive creatures they are

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I don't think this particular behaviour is so common actually - deferring their immediate desire for food when they know something better is worth waiting for (it varied between individuals in a species after all) - but then I don't know how many different species have been tested for this. And this does seem to be related to intelligence, although there might be other explanations which could account for such behaviour in any particular species due to the way they normally obtain their food.
I don't see how it's any different than a dog burying food for later.
Or a squirrel stashing acorns instead of eating them now.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't see how it's any different than a dog burying food for later.
Or a squirrel stashing acorns instead of eating them now.
Perhaps only if so many species just wouldn't pass this test - and their 'normal' behaviour always dictating what they do. The situation presented by the researchers possibly and likely isn't one faced by that many creatures - having to choose whether to eat now or later when a better food is possible. No doubt it is difficult to assess, but when such is allied to the intelligences often seen - as to solving novel problems - then it seems to have some import - just as it tends to do in humans.

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Perhaps only if so many species just wouldn't pass this test - and their 'normal' behaviour always dictating what they do. The situation presented by the researchers possibly and likely isn't one faced by that many creatures - having to choose whether to eat now or later when a better food is possible. No doubt it is difficult to assess, but when such is allied to the intelligences often see - as to solving novel problems - then it seems to have some import - just as it tends to do in humans.
At any rate animals having intelligence doesn't say anything about their relation to humans.