• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morality Needs No God. Open Offer To Debate Secular vs. Religious Moral Theory

ColeBowl

I think a major problem with an atheist's virtues is they don't have solid reasons to explain their virtues and thus will have weaker moral strength. Where as a religious person can explain why they do what they do with which will give them a firmer moral grounding.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
I think this way of phrasing it is useful in the respect that it might throw some light on what you might regard as "human nature", what in your opinion is "intrinsically human", a reflection I think fundamental to a meaningful discussion on the subject of "humanism".

I'm not sure what is intrinsically human. I can just identify 'humans' because they look like me and appear to experience quite the qualitative experience, which becomes apparent through their language.

I think every human's nature is different.

dust1n

Zindīq
I think a major problem with an atheist having virtues is they don't have explanations to explain their virtues and thus will have weaker moral strength. Where as a religious person can explain why they do what they do with which will give them a firmer moral grounding.

The more I understand about the concept 'Te', the less I really care about virtue. I need to be flexible in belief in order to achieve the optimal outcome.

Midnight Pete

I think a major problem with an atheist's virtues is they don't have solid reasons to explain their virtues and thus will have weaker moral strength. Where as a religious person can explain why they do what they do with which will give them a firmer moral grounding.

I agree, but there is no point in arguing about this with an atheist.

thedope

The word good is synonymous to the word god in usage, good the secular version of god so to speak. In any word formula where you use the word god, it could be substituted with the word good and not alter it's essential meaning.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
God is both of those things, I would say. Look, I don't care if you don't agree with me. It's not going to ruin my day.
I wasn't trying to win a debate with you. I'm genuinely curious about the idea that God could be the basis for morality. I doubt there's much chance of me adopting it myself, but I don't even see how it's supposed to work. However, I know that many, many people claim God as the basis of morality. I'd like to understand this idea better.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
God is both of those things, I would say. Look, I don't care if you don't agree with me. It's not going to ruin my day.

Why are you here? I haven't seen a useful post by you on this thread yet, so I have to wonder what your purpose is in posting on it.

Midnight Pete

Meaning what, exactly?

That Jesus is a really smart guy, so he knows what he's talking about when he talks about morality?

Or did you have something else in mind?

Yes, and you already know what that is. But since this will only devolve into obfuscation and passive-aggression, I'll leave it here.