• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morality In the Absence Of God?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In the absence of God, is everything permitted, as some say it is? Or, are there still compelling grounds for a morality? If so, what are those grounds?

Is human nature, properly understood, an adequate basis for morality? Why or why not?

Is the nature of the world and/or the universe, properly understood, and adequate basis for morality? Why or why not?

Can an adequate morality be grounded in reason alone? Why or why not?

Is it even necessary to find a grounds for morality? If so, why? If not, why not?

If there were no deity, and you knew there were no deity, would your own morality change?

croak

Trickster
In the absence of God, is everything permitted, as some say it is? Or, are there still compelling grounds for a morality? If so, what are those grounds?
Technically, everything could be permitted, but humans would have come up with a certain standard to which people would have to conform to. What things would be permitted is entirely up to the people. If they feel something is immoral, according to their standards, it would not be permitted.

Is human nature, properly understood, an adequate basis for morality? Why or why not?
Humans nature is not much different from animal nature, except humans have the ability to change the way they were made to be (i.e. humans can become vegetarians, but it would never occur to a bear to live solely on plants). And now I'm being reminded of English questions, and thus I am completely unable to answer this question.

Is the nature of the world and/or the universe, properly understood, and adequate basis for morality? Why or why not?
Suffering from what I said above.

Okay, must skip a few questions. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to sleep soon....

If there were no deity, and you knew there were no deity, would your own morality change?
Possibly.

Super Universe

Defender of God
There are no compelling grounds for morality. You can be as selfish as you wish because that is human nature, people cut in line, they waste, they readily take more than their share. But this is not God's nature.

It is your choice what to do.

Oh, and God is not absent. He's here watching the discussion through each set of eyes viewing the screen.

sparc872

There are no compelling grounds for morality. You can be as selfish as you wish because that is human nature, people cut in line, they waste, they readily take more than their share. But this is not God's nature.

It is your choice what to do.

Oh, and God is not absent. He's here watching the discussion through each set of eyes viewing the screen.

Urantian, if there are no compelling grounds for morality, how are you judging those people who cut in line, waste, and take more than their share?

I like the examples you gave though, because I can use them for my point. Morality is based on the need for peace. The need to coexist with eachother. We shun those who cut in line because it is disruptive. People who take more than their equal share are viewed negatively because they are choosing to ignore the grander community.

Polluting never used to be seen as immoral. A coal company could be pumping out smog producing chemicals all day long, that is, until we learned about the negative impact of pollution. Now someone who dumps their oil down the storm drain is ostracized, even though it was the norm 30 or 40 years ago. The more we learn as a whole, the more we work towards improving society and the world.

Slavery is another great example. A few hundred years ago it was seen largely as ok, but as we grew and learned more about ourselves, we came to the realization that it is not ok. Morality is strongly tied to our level of understanding. It is tied to our need to live peacefully.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again

Everything is permitted even with a God.

It can be the backbone of morality, but you need to respect individualism.

Well, what is the nature of the world? The laws of nature? I would say I base my judgement on killing being wrong off of how rare life is in this universe.

Is it even necessary to find a grounds for morality? If so, why? If not, why not?

If you respect other's morals, then no.

Nope. Why should I?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Sunstone said:
morality evolved just like everything else, relative to the environment - in this case, the evolution of a social environment and the corrolated growth of morality
my natural reaction when i am upset is to eat as much chocolate as i can find, doesn't mean that is good for me.
1) as far as i am concerned, we don't propperly understand the universe

2) if we did understand the universe, i don't see how planet rotations and maths and science gives guidance on day to day life...
no, because you can never say how you will react to a situation until you are in that situation - for instance, it's easy for me to say i will never kill, but if i came home and found a man with a gun to my family, and i had the opportunity to kill him, would i really not kill him? who knows.... i personally think a morality grounded entirely in reason alienated people, because people make unreasoned decisions (if unreasoned is a word :areyoucra )
i think we need some sort of shared morality, otherwise we have no justification for punishing criminal behaviour - the reason for that being, if we had no shared morality, no action can be criminal, rape and murder would be to all extents and purposes justified, which in my mind is not a good state to have.

If there were no deity, and you knew there were no deity, would your own morality change?[/quote]

Chanan

sparc872 said:
We shun those who cut in line because it is disruptive. People who take more than their equal share are viewed negatively because they are choosing to ignore the grander community.

Morality is defined by the needs of the society. In the small hunter/gather societies, conformity was required for the basic survival of the community. If you took more than your share, murdered another community member who was badly needed for hunting, breeding, etc. you would be killed or ejected from the community (which was also a death sentence). The consequences for your transgression would be seen almost immediately (less meat coming into the group, loss of a gene pool, etc.)

In our modern society, you are only removed from that society for the grossest of misconduct but it is still possible to do things to the detriment of that society but the consequences do not appear for a much longer period of time (extinction of species, destroying our planet, overpopulation of planet, etc.)

Now someone who dumps their oil down the storm drain is ostracized, even though it was the norm 30 or 40 years ago. The more we learn as a whole, the more we work towards improving society and the world.

Disagree. If this were true, the same people who ostracise the oil companies would quit using aerosols, use more recycleable materials, stop using the thousands of chemicals found in house cleaning products, etc. They don't because their morality is skewed.

Slavery is another great example. A few hundred years ago it was seen largely as ok, but as we grew and learned more about ourselves, we came to the realization that it is not ok. Morality is strongly tied to our level of understanding. It is tied to our need to live peacefully.

The U.S. was torn apart by civil war over the morality of slavery and the right or wrong of it had little to do with the level of understanding and more with their need requirements.

Humans are basically selfish me-first organisms. As the morality of religion loses its hold, the immorality of society increases. Our current society is a prime example of that.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Sunstone said:
In the absence of God, is everything permitted, as some say it is?
Certainly not!
Or, are there still compelling grounds for a morality? If so, what are those grounds?
Morality should be based on common sense, compassion and personal desire for justice.
"Human nature" is not in itself an adequate basis for morality, since the nature of individual humans varies greatly. Morality should be reinforced with a reasonable body of civil law.
Knowledge needs to be coupled with wisdom.
It can be grounded in reason, but it must be tempered with wisdom and compassion
Is it even necessary to find a grounds for morality? If so, why? If not, why not?/
Each individual determines his/her own grounds for morality. Unfortunately, in the case of some people, morality is based solely on religious dogma.
No it wouldn't.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Sunstone said:

Yes, since it is human nature, properly understood, that will tell you what is good for a human being -- which is to say, that which contributes to a human being's life or well-being.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Pah

Uber all member
Mike182 said:
morality evolved just like everything else, relative to the environment ....
I agree. Morality was the result of experiencing social behavior that wasn't advantageous. "This helps - that doesn't" took on the labels of "moral" and "immoral" repectively.
Eudaimonist said:
Yes, since it is human nature, properly understood, that will tell you what is good for a human being -- which is to say, that which contributes to a human being's life or well-being....
Human nature is adaptive behavior when it comes to morality. Elemental human nature is what is common to the rest of the animal kingdom

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Pah said:
Human nature is adaptive behavior when it comes to morality.

Morality may change, but justified morality pertains to human nature.

Elemental human nature is what is common to the rest of the animal kingdom

Nah. We are a little more distinctive than this.

eudaimonia,

Mark

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Well , if I were God ... those people who talk in movie threatres would be in BIG trouble .... :slap:

Morality is a social thing that helps a society run smoothly . Even pack animals have acceptable and unacceptable actions .

Smoke

Done here.
Chanan said:
Humans are basically selfish me-first organisms. As the morality of religion loses its hold, the immorality of society increases. Our current society is a prime example of that.
The only kind of morality religion seems to be better at than irreligion is the kind that's useless or harmful: arbitrary restrictions on diet and sexuality, and blind loyalty and obedience. That kind of morality does tend to decrease as religion loses its hold, but that's no loss.

What kind of real morality would you suggest that religion is really good at inculcating? If you went back in time 400 or 500 years, would you find that people were more compassionate than they are now? That they were less likely to go to war, to kill, to steal, to lie, to demonize other groups, or to be cruel to sentient beings? Would you find that the rich didn't live in luxury, that the poor were not oppressed, that religion in that idyllic time had banished greed and hatred? Or would you find that religious bigotry increased a tendency to demonize and persecute others?

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." (Steven Weinberg)

sparc872

Disagree. If this were true, the same people who ostracise the oil companies would quit using aerosols, use more recycleable materials, stop using the thousands of chemicals found in house cleaning products, etc. They don't because their morality is skewed.

In a perfect world, yes. But it is not always feasible to stop using certain products. Society places restrictions on what we have access to, including information. Just because someone criticizes an oil company doesn't mean they know about the negative effects of aerosols (which, to my knowledge, don't really exist anymore), nor does it give them access to recycled products or knowledge of the problems with the cleaners we use. If you live in a small town with one grocery store, you pretty much have to buy what that store sells.

So, the more we learn, the more we WORK towards improving society and the world. We may not see immediate results, as we are dealing with peoples understandings of the world. Major changes in mindsets do not happen in one generation sometimes even more, but the more we understand, the better off we will be. If you leave someone uneducated about the effects of their actions they will continue doing those actions, but if you educate them and give them real understanding of it, then maybe they will change their actions.

sparc872

Even if humans are selfish me-first beings normally, it is society that shapes them. If you have a society that pushes away from that sort of activity and more towards community, loving relationships, and a wholistic understanding of the world, then people will not act like you say. We, for the most part, behave in a manner that is seen as socially acceptable.

Animals tend to behave in the me-first fashion. They lack the ability to comprehend the repercussions of their actions. People, on the other hand, can reason. They can look ahead and plan. We can understand that the more we work together, the better results we will have. Society functions much better when everyone is working towards its improvement, rather than to their own ends.

Æsahættr

Sunstone said:

I don't think that human nature exists as a unchanging underlying part of us. The very fact of evolution means that we can't be "inherantly" greedy, violent, compassionate, social or anything else. We can tend to be more genetically or culturally tending to certain aspects at certain times, but as we get to the stage where we recognise this and as such are able to change it culturally, and probably genetically before long, we should justify what we make of human nature from a different moral basis, rather than using the existing human nature as a guide.
Human nature has evolved to maximise our survival with an element of chance thrown in. Obviously we shouldn't jeapodise the survival aspect, but we should look to changing human nature so that it allows us to survive while making us more moral, however we define that.

Sunstone said:

Quite possibly. The difference between the nature of the Universe and human nature is that there may well be an unchanging nature to the Universe. The "properly understood" in that question is the clincher though. Even if it were possible to obtain a final unifying theory, having the equations and understanding what they mean are very different things. But in theory, if we were to manage to understand the nature of the Universe, it should indeed influence our morality, properly dictated by logical progressions upon that understanding.
For example, we might discover whether the Universe is deterministic, random, whether we have free will, or any combination of the three. The answer to that would definitely need to influence our morality. How would a justice system stand up if it was discovered that the Universe was purely deterministic and without free will for example?

Sunstone said:

Yes, I believe it can. That would seem to be the default position for someone who rejects an absolute source of morality outside humanity.

The way I see it is that we have a system of morality in our instincts, as dictated by our genes, upbringing and experiences. The vast majority of people will instinctively shy away from actions they have an unpleasant emotional reaction to, such as killing someone. However, I don't believe that this system of morality should be the one of last resort. For example, we have less of an instinctive reaction against killing someone by pressing a button than by killing them with our own hands.

I believe that ultimately, a logical argument for taking or not taking an action should be the final judge as to what we do. By that I do not mean that we need to take a careful logical analysis every time we take a decision. The moral system that comes instinctively is not a very bad one, particularly if over time we refine our instincts in line with logic. In addition, our instincts act as a safety guard. As we are not perfect, we can come to an incorrect conclusion when attempting to use logic, either by starting from false premesis or not using a valid argument. Also, we might often be influenced by other emotions than our instincts. If someone believes they have constructed a logical argument of why it is moral for them to kill someone, they are going to need to be very sure to override their instincts. But in the end, a decision carefully thought out though logic will be better than one made on instinct.

Sunstone said:

I'm sure everyone has grounds for their morality. Starting from the premis that you have no moral obligation to do anything other than maximise your own happiness is a moral position. The key point is whether the grounds for our morality are capable of being assessed and improved. That's why I dislike absolute morality.
To give you an example, I tend to be fairly utilitarianist. I used to use that simply to describe my philosophy with regards morality, however I realised that if I thought about it, absolute utilitarianism came up with answers that went against my instincts quite heavily, such as allowing for a few to be persecuted if it meant greater good for the majority. As I said above, I don't believe that instinct can be a final judge of morality, but the safety catch proved itself here, as I eventually decided on rational grounds that absolute utilitarianism was not a good thing, and that an element of judging an action by the degree to which it hurt those it hurt the most was also needed.
Another issue that I have yet to resolve is over the question of babies and animals. I don't consider that animals generally have an inherent right to life in the same way as humans, because I believe that the right to life comes mainly from self-awareness, which most animals fail to show signs of. However, the problem is that neither do babies. I have not yet concluded whether the rational resolution I will come to is that I need to change my definitions of what gives a right to life, or whether newborn babies do not have the same inherent right to life as adults (although there are obviously still reasons to keep it illegal to kill them).

Great thread btw Sunstone.

Ðanisty

Chanan said:
I disagree. Society only becomes immoral on the basis of religious morality. Just because society's morality has changed and no longer coincides with a lot of religious morality, it doesn' mean there is no morality there.

Flappycat

If you believe there's a god, start flying a rainbow flag up there with Old Glory. If there were a god, that would be his flag, and he sometimes flies it after a storm to tell us it's safe to go out to enjoy its gifts. The only morality that would cease to exist without Christianity would be the one that was invented by Christians, and the same goes for Islam and the Muslims. If there were a god, I think he'd do just fine for the world without people who think they can take him away from everyone else. He certainly wouldn't need the help of walls that were built to confine him. Personally, I think that people who say they believe in him are usually just saying that he's not allowed to exist without their say-so. I haven't seen much to convince me of the supposed god that all the Christians and Muslims keep talking about, but, everytime I step out the door after a good rain, I make a little salute with my right hand and try my best to spot that pretty, old flag. It represents everything I believe.

Fluffy

A fool
Why are there compelling grounds for morality in the prescence of God?

As far as I am concerned the moral compass doesn't change with regards to God's existence not because there are other cornerstones which we can rest morality upon but because God isn't set up to be a cornerstone in the first place.

coberst

We all have the ability to do harm or to do good to other people; and we all are fully aware of that capacity. How can we know this? We can know this because we are capable of imaginatively placing our self into the boots of the other person?

Young children know this, as is evident by there shouts of condemnation:
“That’s not fair!”—“She won’t share!”—“He hit me and I didn’t do anything to him!”—“He promised!”—“Cheater, Cheater!”—“Liar, Liar!”—“It’s my turn!”

I suspect most of us, adults and children; learn these ‘ethical principles’ through social osmosis (without conscious effort). We ‘know’ these principles of ethical behavior but often fail to practice them because there are always so many other forces pulling us in another direction.

The forces pulling us into unethical behavior are many; for example, ego and social centric forces, self-delusion, selfishness, and especially because of our ignorance and the complexity of the problems we face.

Webster defines educate as—to develop mentally, morally, or aesthetically [beauty] especially by instruction. Webster defines indoctrinate as—to imbue [infuse] with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle.

I think that it is imperative for each adult to become conscious (aware plus attention) of the difference between these two terms and also to recognize just how much of their attitude toward matters of ethics results from their education or from their indoctrination.