• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monopolies

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Though we get many things shipped from Amazon over the course of a year, just yesterday (by chance) we got 2 deliveries here on the same day from competitors to Amazon. When I got home, instead of nothing or an Amazon prime box on the step, it was 2 packages from non-Amazon retailers selling things Amazon also sells.

So I think if it seems that Amazon is close to being a monopoly, the solution is just to shop around.

So, it's not needed for these types of service providers to be broken up, since they can't corner something key like a public resource or such (like a right of way, or a natural resource, etc.) where an actual monopoly is possible.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What do you think about monopolies such as Amazon, Disney and, perhaps to an extent, Twitter? Would you prefer them broken up?
i prefer that christianity not become a new world order. maybe it's a good thing that there are 40,000+ denominations.

religion is the 15th largest economy.

reminds me of babel.

confusion.

love is beautiful in all it's forms until it someone tries to take it by force

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Though we get many things shipped from Amazon over the course of a year, just yesterday (by chance) we got 2 deliveries here on the same day from competitors to Amazon. When I got home, instead of nothing or an Amazon prime box on the step, it was 2 packages from non-Amazon retailers selling things Amazon also sells.

So I think if it seems that Amazon is close to being a monopoly, the solution is just to shop around.

So, it's not needed for these types of service providers to be broken up, since they can't corner something key like a public resource or such (like a right of way, or a natural resource, etc.) where an actual monopoly is possible.

I obviously can't speak to your exact deliveries, but Amazon has recently had a lot of exposure for taking competing products and copying them, using their size and distribution power to undercut the original manufacturers.
Pretty monopolistic behaviour.

Amazon ripping off Peak Design camera bags says John Oliver in humorous yet serious attack on big tech - DIY Photography

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I obviously can't speak to your exact deliveries, but Amazon has recently had a lot of exposure for taking competing products and copying them, using their size and distribution power to undercut the original manufacturers.
Pretty monopolistic behaviour.

Amazon ripping off Peak Design camera bags says John Oliver in humorous yet serious attack on big tech - DIY Photography
Patent infringement/violations can be taken to court and Amazon (and/or partners involved) made to pay $ if it is doing that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Patent infringement/violations can be taken to court and Amazon (and/or partners involved) made to pay $ if it is doing that.

It's kinda cute that you think people can just take Amazon to court without bankrupting themselves in the process, or that Amazon don't have a permanent team of lawyers employed to look for legal loopholes they can exploit.

In 2017...which is a LOOOOONG time ago when you're talking about a company that has grown like Amazon...they employed a legal department of more than 800 permanent employees, of which more than 400 were lawyers.
The way monopolies win is that they become so powerful, they can make the rules enforcing equitable access and protection a joke, quite frankly.

I'd encourage you to watch the John Oliver video in the earlier link, if you haven't. It's as much to amuse as inform, but even at a simple level, there is a pretty stark message to take in on Amazon (as an example).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What do you think about monopolies such as Amazon, Disney and, perhaps to an extent, Twitter? Would you prefer them broken up?
I think they do need broken up. I doubt it'll happen though, because when AT&T was broken up when I was a kid it turned out that meant nothing in the long run because AT&T bought itself back up, devoured other companies along the way and is now even bigger than it was then.
Never mind though today it's pretty problematic for Disney to own so much it even owns mortgage and real estate companies.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't it Amazon that pays 0 in federal income tax?
I also read that now it appears that Amazon may be unionized.
Amazon workers just voted to join a union — here's what happens next (cnbc.com)

It's pretty amusing if you look at some of the actions (particularly advertising) that US workplaces have performed in trying to discourage unionism..

Since I'm on a roll with the Last Week Tonight links featuring Amazon, amongst others...

John Oliver rips union busting by companies: ‘It’s all about killing momentum’ | Late-night TV roundup | The Guardian

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I see it as a potential side effect of unchecked Capitalism. How I want to interpret it, depends on how I want to interpret unchecked Capitalism.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Technically they are not monopolies, though it can certainly feel that way.

Most developed countries, including the EU, the US and the UK have laws empowering market regulatory authorities to break up monopolies, or even corporations that acquire a high enough market share to be detrimental to the interests of consumers. The problem with something like Amazon is to determine what the relevant market is, in which they could be said to have an excessive, or "dominant" share. After all, anything you can get on Amazon can also be bought through other channels, so their share of any particular market for goods may not be that high. The EU (which we decided to leave, of course) is the most active in policing this area: Amazon charged with abusing EU competition rules

Personally I have never had any time for Disney and I make a point of trying several other sources of goods, preferably local, physical shops, before I ever resort to Amazon. I reckon I make about 2 purchases from Amazon per annum.

I avoid all social media - apart from a few discussion forums like this one. I've never been on Twatter, Faecebook, Instagram or any of them.;)