• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monitor troubles, help!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem here, can anyone offer some advice?

My monitor was working fine yesterday, but today it isn't working right at all. It will stay on for one second at a time: it will show once at BIOS for one second, then the windows symbol, then the login, then when it's logged in, then nothing. In order to get to view anything I will have to turn the monitor off by the power button and then back on. The little light will stay green, it doesn't turn orange or anything.

I attempted to go into Safe Mode, but it turns off there, too. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for both monitor and graphics card, uninstalling recently downloaded programmes, uninstalling codecs etc. I've tried changing the resolution to the lowest, and tried all of the refresh rates compatible with the monitor. If I change the resolution or refresh rate, the screen will show the picture for one second once more, and then it'll vanish again.

It's an oldish monitor, so I'm wondering if it's on its last legs. It's an acer AL1715. I'm on Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
First thing is to check ALL the cable connections, especially the power cable connection both to the back of the monitor, and to the outlet/power strip.

I recently saved a bunch of money by realizing that my power supply and battery for my laptop were really fine, it was just that the power plug had worked loose from the power strip enough to be causing an intermittent power loss which made it look like both the battery and power supply were failing.

Otherwise, it sounds like possibly the monitor itself may be OK, and the video card may be experiencing problems:
It will stay on for one second at a time: it will show once at BIOS for one second, then the windows symbol, then the login, then when it's logged in, then nothing.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh no!
I wish I had computer skills to help...but I don't...:sorry1:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yeah guys, I've been messing with them for a while to make sure, and I've tried in separate sockets to make sure it's not too much stuff being taken up at one time causing some kind of surge. When it's not plugged in right the light goes to orange, but when it's fully plugged in it stays green, but the screen is still black.

Any ideas what I should do if it's video problems besides installing, reinstalling and updating, or throwing the whole damn thing out the window? :D

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
If you have one available, the first thing to try is a new monitor cable. If that doesn't work, then try a different working monitor (if you can borrow one without buying it). This should help isolate whether it is the cable, monitor, or video card which needs replacement. Once you get done with that you should know where your money needs to be spent.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Is there any way you'd have access to another monitor to try out? It sounds like it's not the drivers. If you've checked all the connections/cables, then that only leaves the monitor and video card. The only way to check them would be to try different ones.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I've asked a friend of mine to come around with one of his spare ones, but he's a bit of a numnuts so he'll probably forget. Otherwise I could ask my old man, but he's on holiday for a few days. I don't want to let him near my computer itself though, since he's format happy: he will format for the slightest reason. He even formatted his PC because he couldn't get on his wireless internet on his laptop. :areyoucra

Last edited: