• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mommie dearest

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Great! It still is!

Although there are some things I wouldn't want my mother to know - but I'm sure it's like that for everyone! :D

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
My mom was great She died of cancer in 1979. If I had to grow up again and could choose a mother, I would choose her.

cardero

Citizen Mod
My mother always allowed me to come into my own. Even when I look back and think of all the disgraceful things I had done, she was always very patient and understanding enough that I would arrive to the correct decisions and conclusions for myself. She was very supportive of my talents and ambitions and would attend all of my functions. What pleased me most about my mother was the observable relationship she had with my friends and peers.

My mother was a cafeterian cook in an elementary school for many years and she fed and took care of a lot of kids. These same kids would grow up and eventually encounter my mom when she worked at our local deli and my mom would make sure that when they ordered food, that she would take the same care and concern to ensure that they were provided for. It was not uncommon for my friends to envy my relationship and some times they would call her mom or wish that she was their mother. She touched many lives.

My mother taught me the true term of forgiveness and I adopted all my responsible working habits from her. She taught me how to cook and inspired me on the importance of a clean house and keeping a proud home no matter where I would live. There is even a good possibility that I received my drawing ability from her and my fondness for reading.

My mother passed away June of 2005 but she has instilled many memories and aspects of her existence that I have yet to explore and apply to my life. This may as well be the greatest gift a mother could impart to her children.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Wow Cardero! Great post!

You had a much better reply than I did!!!!

So Buttercup - before you start nicking off with other people's answers maybe you should stick around for a bit to see if something better comes up! :p

And jeffrey - I would say the same thing about mine! couldn't think of a better mum!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Wow Cardero! Great post!
I agree and frubaled him in appreciation.

So Buttercup - before you start nicking off with other people's answers maybe you should stick around for a bit to see if something better comes up! :p
Sage advice. That's what I get for taking the first thing that came along 'eh?

I should add a couple of notes about my mom. She was orphaned at six months. Spent all her youth in orphanages and foster homes. Was hospitalized for malnutrition at least once because she wasn't fed properly. She married my dad when she was 18 in hopes of finding love. He cheated on her within three years and she was pregnant with her second child by then. Alone and with two children to support by the age of 21, she had to work hard to get by. I have to add very proudly that my mom is the least bitter (truly) woman I have ever known.....and if anyone has a right to be bitter, it's her. She's exceedingly lovely inside and out.

cardero

Citizen Mod
She married my dad when she was 18 in hopes of finding love. He cheated on her within three years and she was pregnant with her second child by then. Alone and with two children to support by the age of 21, she had to work hard to get by. I have to add very proudly that my mom is the least bitter (truly) woman I have ever known.....and if anyone has a right to be bitter, it's her. She's exceedingly lovely inside and out.
My mother raised both my sister and I after my father divorced in 1980. She had to work two jobs just to make ends meet. My mother never remarried or encouraged another romantic relationship and relatives would make humorous remarks that I was the only man who remained in her life the longest.

Sometimes people find reason to discredit or disrespect someone who has lived with their parents for a long time but I married and moved out from my mother’s house late in life ( my sister moved out in 1985, I moved out in 2003) but I enjoyed the relationship I had with my mom and I feel privileged for the time I spent with her and the opportunity to share in the responsibilities in supporting the household (my mother never learned to drive) and to take care of her when she needed something done or when she could no longer do it herself. I was happy to return the years of caring and fortunate to be in the position to ensure my mother’s last years were carefree, enjoyable and memorable.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I really did not appreciate my mom as much as I should have until years after she died. And as the song goes, I wish I would have told her in the living years.
When I married my wife, I found out from her how bad some people's mothers are. Her real mother was an alcoholic and did not want her. When she about 6, her mom was having an affair. She and her boyfriend would drive to the country with Rebecca in tow. They would kick her out of the car to chase butterflies or what ever, then do the wild thing in the back seat.
Her parents got divorced. A few years after that, her mom sent her to live with her dad and step-mom. She got beat on a regular basis with a wooden spoon. When she got home from school, she got sent to her room to spend the rest of the night there. Her dinner consisted of usually a jam sandwich in her room while the rest of the family had an ordinary meal at the dinner table. . At Xmas, she would have one cheap present under the tree while her step sister had loads. She was not allowed to bathe but maybe twice a month. She used spit and a napkin to try and wash the dirt from her body. She would not take a shower after gym in school because of the bruises she had from the beatings she received. One day a teacher made her take a shower after gym.... And spotted the bruises. The teacher called the authorities and that day she was shipped back to her alcoholic mother.
I just wish my Mother was still alive to be the mother to Rebecca that she never had.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My mother was brought up to a very privileged life and could do anything she turned her hand to, not just sort of, but very well indeed.
She had the natural authority that could stop London traffic at the wave of her hand, and often did.
Shop keepers would always bring her a chair and bring goods to her Even when she was in her thirties. It Just seemed the natural thing for them to do. she was always polite and smiled and said please and thank you.
She never argued or complained she never needed to... In Restaurants or returning goods a look was quite enough before apologies were forthcoming.
She was from a past age.
At home she ruled the same way ... my brothers were a little in fear of her....
One Christmas when my middle brother was in his late twenties, he lost his temper with her for some reason, when clearing the table he dropped a pile of her best crockery on the floor in anger.
She never said a word he cleared it all up and as far as she was concerned nothing had happened.
I was the only one in the Family who could ever stand up to her... so she called me pig headed. I could be very stubborn, when I made up my mind about something I was unchangeable. Rather like her.
she loved us all. but was never demonstrative...
Later in life she used to terrify my wife and Children when we visited. she never said or did anything to upset them it was just the presence she gave out.
A remarkable lady.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My mother often blamed me for things done by my siblings, and made little attempt to thoroughly investigate these petit thefts and misdemeanors.

I do not forgive injustices, so have had no contact with any family members or relatives since I left home for college over thirty years ago.
I do not know weather my parents are alive or dead, or where my siblings might be living.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
My mother often blamed me for things done by my siblings, and made little attempt to thoroughly investigate these petit thefts and misdemeanors.

I do not forgive injustices, so have had no contact with any family members or relatives since I left home for college over thirty years ago.
I do not know weather my parents are alive or dead, or where my siblings might be living.
You don't have contact with your mother or brothers and sisters because of what happened in your childhood? Wow, that's very unfortunate, Sey. Surely there must be more to it than that?

Panda

42?
Premium Member
My mum is the best. There is no way I could make her better and it would take years to list every reason why I think she is the best so I won't even try.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
In all honesty, how was the relationship betwen you and your mother?
When I was very young, I couldn't imagine my existence apart from my mother. I had no existence apart from her. I suppose you could say I was permanently attached to her apron strings. Then in my early teens my mom and dad were going through some issues, so we gave them some space, but in my late teens my mom became one of my best friends. We always got along well since then. She's awesome.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

That's rough Seyorni, and I can relate (were you the middle kid?). I was basically my mother's houseboy for much of my childhood and adolescence. I started running away from home at 16, only had sporatic contact with them once I turned 18 through my early 20s.

I stopped talking to my whole family altogether when I was 24 and didn't have any contact for 13 1/2 years. I had no idea what was going on in their lives during that period, and they all just assumed I was dead.

We're back in touch now and it's a mixed bag. :p

All in all though I'm extremely glad I made contact again. People change. There've been quite a few pleasant surprises since we started speaking again.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I was a good kid but I did rebel against my Mom quite a bit as a kid. I remember a time when I'd object to everything she proposed from the way I wore my hair to the cereal I ate for breakfast. I wasn't necessarily a disrespectful kid but I could be ugly to my Mom for no reason at all and this went on for years. I had the utmost respect for my Dad as a kid but there was this tension between my Mom and I. It's like I wanted to butt heads with her.

I was sixteen when I started dating and it was about that time that my Mom and I started to bond.

As conservative and religious as she is, I was able to talk openly with her about what was going on in my life. I could talk to her about anything...even sex (gasp!) and she listened. She always stated her opinions on things very firmly but I felt like my Mom genuinely respected my individuality and I knew even when she used tough love with me that her love was/is unconditional.

I realized that my mother's voice was the voice in the back of my mind. It was my mother who prayed day and night for my salvation, my health, my happiness.

She became my friend, something I never considered her as before. And she was there for me during my most happiest and sorrowful times.

In my late teens, she and my Dad had a really rough patch and separated. I was her shoulder to cry on and she was mine.

We've been close ever since.

My Mom is my hero. I hope I'm half the woman she is.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My relationship with my mom is bad. It could be worse, but we've never been on friendly terms and don't speak to each other that much. One of the big issues we have is her being a mega control freak. Even at 21, she still tries to run my life, and still frowns upon just about everything I do.
Actually, she's much more nice to my girlfriend than she has ever been to me.