• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mojito or Caipirinha?

ronki23

I haven't had either of these for a long time (10 years since I stopped the alcohol) so what's the difference ? Apart from the mint is there another difference between the two ?

How do you make Virgin versions of these drinks ? All I can see with Caipirinha is just a lemon/lime juice which isn't very exciting

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I haven't had either of these for a long time (10 years since I stopped the alcohol) so what's the difference ? Apart from the mint is there another difference between the two ?

How do you make Virgin versions of these drinks ? All I can see with Caipirinha is just a lemon/lime juice which isn't very exciting

I don't drink much, maybe a couple of glases of wine a year, perhaps a cognac or single malt on new years eve. So don't even know what you are talking about with Caipirinha of Mojito

But to spice up a fruit drink ginger or chilli are pretty good. Currently i like juiced watermelon with black pepper.

And i always have my drink cold, very cold, usually chilled below 3 or 4c (depends how the fridge feels), with plenty of ice. I think a really cold

ronki23

I don't drink much, maybe a couple of glases of wine a year, perhaps a cognac or single malt on new years eve. So don't even know what you are talking about with Caipirinha of Mojito

But to spice up a fruit drink ginger or chilli are pretty good. Currently i like juiced watermelon with black pepper.

And i always have my drink cold, very cold, usually chilled below 3 or 4c (depends how the fridge feels), with plenty of ice. I think a really cold

Caipirinha is lime
Mojito is lime and mint

There's a difference in the rum used- if I remember correctly Mojito has a stronger flavour. But I'm not sure how relevant the difference is when it comes to teetotaling hence I was wondering how to make it relevant for non drinkers

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Caipirinha is lime
Mojito is lime and mint

There's a difference in the rum used- if I remember correctly Mojito has a stronger flavour. But I'm not sure how relevant the difference is when it comes to teetotaling hence I was wondering how to make it relevant for non drinkers

Experiment with a dash of chilli powder, or a twist of black pepper or a ginger.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Caipirinha uses cachaça, which is not quite rum, I understand. I don't know about mojito.

The drink of this type I like best is the one I had tonight as an aperitif: 'ti' punch (colloquial for petit punch). This is made with rum agricole, a quite different drink from regular white or dark rum and with a lot more flavour and aroma. I was introduced to this in La Reunion, though it originates in the French W Indies I believe.

I have an idea that cachaça is quite close to rum agricole. Both are apparently produced by fermenting fresh sugar cane juice, rather than molasses, which may account for their far fresher and more interesting flavour and bouquet. (I once tried to make ti punch with Bacardi and it was horrible. So at the next opportunity I went to a French supermarket and got the real stuff.)

ronki23

Caipirinha uses cachaça, which is not quite rum, I understand. I don't know about mojito.

The drink of this type I like best is the one I had tonight as an aperitif: 'ti' punch (colloquial for petit punch). This is made with rum agricole, a quite different drink from regular white or dark rum and with a lot more flavour and aroma. I was introduced to this in La Reunion, though it originates in the French W Indies I believe.

I have an idea that cachaça is quite close to rum agricole. Both are apparently produced by fermenting fresh sugar cane juice, rather than molasses, which may account for their far fresher and more interesting flavour and bouquet. (I once tried to make ti punch with Bacardi and it was horrible. So at the next opportunity I went to a French supermarket and got the real stuff.)

On Wikipedia it says Cachaça is fermented sugarcane juice whereas Mojitos are made with white rum.

I haven't had alcohol in 10 years but I remember Caipirinha tasted better than Mojito. The other rum I enjoyed was Malibu

Bacardi is for lepers!

exchemist

Veteran Member
On Wikipedia it says Cachaça is fermented sugarcane juice whereas Mojitos are made with white rum.

I haven't had alcohol in 10 years but I remember Caipirinha tasted better than Mojito. The other rum I enjoyed was Malibu

Bacardi is for lepers!
Haha, agreed. From what Wiki says I think cachaça and rum agricole must be similar.

I am still, very slowly, trying to work off a bottle of Bacardi that must be about 20 years old by now. I have one use for it: yellow birds. I quite like these, but as I am at some risk of atrial fibrillation these days I am advised to watch my alcohol consumption. I have found, by trial and error, that I need to limit myself to 3-4 units in an evening, a unit being 10g alcohol. This is what one has in one 25ml cocktail measure of 40% alcohol spirits. So if I have a yellow bird (2 x rum, 1/2 x Cointreau, 1/2 x Galliano, plus lime juice) I can't have any wine that evening. 95% of the time the wine wins. So the bottle of Bacardi is going down very slowly. It faces competition from my bottle of Dutch genever, which one drinks neat, in small (e.g. 1 unit) glasses, so that I can have without foregoing the wine.;)

The bottle of Galliano must be even older......:confused: