• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modest Clothing

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
This thread wasn't really started about me, though; I was just wondering what people had in mind about what 'modest' is a la clothes. Meanwhile, icehorse immodestly breaks the DIR rules :eek:

Not my intention to break DIR rules. If I have, can you tell me what I did wrong?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Lots of BO would probably be extra modest. I can see that also as being protective. I do not recommend it however.

arthra

Baha'i
Abrahamic DIR

So I was out shopping the other day, trying to find some respectable clothes for the (hopefully) upcoming warmer weather. I was disappointed. So I googled where to buy some decent modest clothing for women and came across this site

Where (and how) to buy modest clothing

To me, the clothes on there are not modest. They show full arms, skirts just barely past the knees, and don't get me started on the swimsuit. Still, this is just my belief.

Opinions?

Fashions change as you may be aware... I have a photo of my grandmother in a bathing suit she wore at the beech in Galveston from around 1915... She and her friend both sported bathing caps and full blowsy upper and lower garments. They were smiling and enjoying the day! It's unlikely there can ever be a standard of modesty locked in that applies to all conditions and circumstances. We have to be sensitive though to the standards of the time and aware of the cultural context... I for one dislike tattoos .. especially the ones that appear to cover most of the body.

Body modification: My niece had a ring that was attached to her belly button that became infected.. so we took her to a studio that helped. I didn't want to see her in pain so paid for the procedure to help her.

There's a saying that I think may well apply here...

"The seventh Glad-Tidings The choice of clothing and the cut of the beard and its dressing are left to the discretion of men. But beware, O people, lest ye make yourselves the playthings of the ignorant."

~ Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 23

Brian Schuh

Modest clothing for an Ashkenazi Jew included fingerless gloves and scarves for not only women but also men. Only one's face and one's fingers were to be seen. Also if a man was following a woman who was showing her legs, he was to change directions even 180 degrees even if it meant being late for a business meeting out of fear of being accused of stalking. You can find this in Samson Rachael Hirsch, a great Ashkenazic legal scholar.

Brian Schuh

Also I discourage form fitting pants for women. Men study your figure and it corrupts their hearts. I've seen women with good figures wearing form fitting pants but also obese women. I can't figure out why an obese woman wears form fitting pants as they look disgusting.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think if you are in close quarters and aren't looking to attract anybody then you need some covering. If nobody is around then you don't need any. If you are in between those extremes, then go for what is practical without much concern. I agree sleeveless and short skirts seem to suggest to men that you are looking for attention -- not that you really are. We just think that way.
@Rival

I should modify this. I was watching a really great video by a sleeveless woman, and I did not feel she was immodest at all and was very professional.

Brian Schuh

Modest clothing for an Ashkenazi Jew included fingerless gloves and scarves for not only women but also men. Only one's face and one's fingers were to be seen. Also if a man was following a woman who was showing her legs, he was to change directions even 180 degrees even if it meant being late for a business meeting out of fear of being accused of stalking. You can find this in Samson Raphael Hirsch, a great Ashkenazic legal scholar.

NaomiS

Most modest clothes sold these days are horrible. It's very unfair, there is definitely a way to do both but shops don't seem to think that.

I agree. It's a problem I had for a long time so I designed a modest and very fashionable slip that can be worn under any outfit to extend the length of short dresses/skirts. Sorry to plug myself, but I created it to help people like me and you. See pics and reviews on Amazon under "choice modest slip".

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Abrahamic DIR

So I was out shopping the other day, trying to find some respectable clothes for the (hopefully) upcoming warmer weather. I was disappointed. So I googled where to buy some decent modest clothing for women and came across this site

Where (and how) to buy modest clothing

To me, the clothes on there are not modest. They show full arms, skirts just barely past the knees, and don't get me started on the swimsuit. Still, this is just my belief.

Opinions?

Hey Rival,

I don't want to watch the video if there's a swimsuit on there that gets you riled :), but I can say that I'm definitely with you on the full arms, skirts just barely past the knees not being suitably modest thing (in most contexts).