• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern Druidry and Slavic Paganism

rocala

I have today, while browsing online, discovered Rodnovary or Slavic Native Faith. I have only had time for a very quick read, but one thing that caught my eye was that some followers believe that their faith has its origins, along with Hinduism, in the same "Proto-Indo-European source."

I recall reading online, once, that some followers of Modern Druidry had a similar theory. I am wondering if the two groups have ever met and discussed this? Is there anybody on RF knowledgeable enough about the two who could perhaps comment on similarities, or lack of?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, the Gods of Europe, India and Zoroastrianism are related. They all have Indo-European roots along with our languages. So Tiwaz in Saxon Heathenism is the Jove of the Romans and ultimately the Dyeus Pater of Indo-European belief.

Non related languages and religions would be Egyptian, Semitic, Asian etc.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Beyond remarking that ADF seems to use this ideas a rationale for why they limit the pantheons of its members, I don't have much to comment on as a non-member. OBOD really doesn't nudge its members in any particular direction as far as this idea goes, if it even comes up at all - it isn't even explicitly polytheistic and permits monotheists and non-theists within its membership.

That said, within the broader Pagan community the idea of perennialism - that certain gods are "really" the same across cultures - comes up from time to time. That sort of soft polytheism isn't something I get behind for a variety of reasons. This doesn't mean there can't be comparisons made or that roots don't flow from parallel sources. Given Pagan theology typically emerges from the lands themselves, of course there's going to be some common root - the planet itself and common human life experiences plus relations with nature that are more or less present worldwide. But each place is also not the same as another, each relationship not the same as another, giving context that flavors the diversity of human cultures and religions.

☆Dreamwind☆

It is interesting to learn some of what other European people believed in and who and how they worshipped. Thanks for the link.

Last edited: