• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern Biblical Criticism

sealchan

Just curious as to how many, if any, have an opinion as to its credibility. Is it considered a threat to, or offering insight into our most basic held beliefs?

As a Christian I am deeply informed and inspired by archeological and mythological studies of the basis of the Biblical narrative. The fact that so much of the Bible has a demonstrable literary, mythological influence and so little of it has evidence of historicity is deeply informative as to the basis of my faith.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A clearer understanding of what may/may not have been the authors intent before a Christian interpretation. I can appreciate the Jewishness of Jesus more clearly through a rabbinic interpretation of the Gospels.
I do not believe that you understand what textual criticism is all about. So, for example, it has zero to do with rabbinic versus Christian interpretations.

Please see here.

pearl

I do not believe that you understand what textual criticism is all about. So, for example, it has zero to do with rabbinic versus Christian interpretations.

Is not the purpose to restore the original form of the text, as centuries of oral and manuscript transmission tend to remove a text from it original shape? To understand the word of God in the Scriptures, it is necessary to 'hear' it echo where it was first uttered.