• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Models and Doctrines and God

lunamoth

Will to love
Hi All,

Not sure where to put it, and maybe it won't generate any discussion, but that's never stopped me before!

The more I think about it, the more it seems that theology and philosophy and science and psychology really are all just facets of one interation with being. Our models are called different things in the different disciplines, doctrines for theology, hypotheses in science, etc., and these models change over time as our perspective on the world changes.

The problem with a model is that it can be misused and end up being a trap for our thinking, resulting in a dead end if we view the model as the final say on 'how things are.' Excuse my fuzzy terminology here...I am admittedly a novice in philosophy.

Anyway, I am responding at least in part to the charge that any positive assertions about God create an idol. The God of the Philosophers remains absolutely ineffable and therefore, IMO, irrelevant. And yet, the history of philosophy has been almost completely concerned with the question of God, like a pendulum swinging back and forth between 'is' and 'is not.' So we know that philosophy itself is not prohibitive of models about God.

So, here is my diagram about doctrines/models and interation with God/Being.

The river represents transcendent God. It has tremendous potential for 'work,' having an impact on our being.

An abuse of doctrine, and the way religions are mostly criticized about dogma, is when the models or doctrines are used as a box to contain God, to pin God down so God can be described. Putting such barriers around God makes God static, rather than a process and so while we may then attempt to describe some aspect of God, we at the same time kill it, remove the potential for 'work.'

river.jpg

Another way to use a model, and I suggest that this is the same way models are actually used in scientific endeavor, is to view them as a mechanism of engagment with reality. The doctrine/model (let's say the Trinity), is not the reality (God). It is a mind-created appartus that lets us engage with reality in a meaningful way, capable of leading to 'work' growth/enlightenment, in short, something useful to us.

Just like a wheel, some doctrines are so foundational they remain useful for engaging the ineffable no matter how much subsequent change has come about in perspective. Other models, not so much. Eventually perhaps even the foundational models are replaced, not because they are incorrect but because they served their purpose as a stepping stone and are outgrown.

Anyway, these are just some of my recent thoughts about this and maybe they will be interesting to others who can help me think about it more.

lunamoth

Will to love
Thank you for taking a look at it. :)

It also occurs to me that some religionists make the same wrong accusation against science when they mistake the model for the truth when science in fact never makes such a claim.

And of course my model above is also just a way to engage with the idea. Doctrines in religion such as the Trinity arise from experience and the best Christian description of that experience of God is as Persons.

A

angellous_evangellous

Thank you for taking a look at it. :)

It also occurs to me that some religionists make the same wrong accusation against science when they mistake the model for the truth when science in fact never makes such a claim.

And of course my model above is also just a way to engage with the idea. Doctrines in religion such as the Trinity arise from experience and the best Christian description of that experience of God is as Persons.

Well, in many significant ways, the philosophical foundations for science as done by Kant - possibly even Dilthey - destroy the truth.

If science becomes our only, or even primary, means of knowledge (especially about ourselves), then the "lack of a truth claim" from science becomes highly problematic.

lunamoth

Will to love
Well, in many significant ways, the philosophical foundations for science as done by Kant - possibly even Dilthey - destroy the truth.

I wish I knew enough about it to have a good follow-up question to that. I know you are dead, but do you have enough brain cells left to expand upon that?

If science becomes our only, or even primary, means of knowledge (especially about ourselves), then the "lack of a truth claim" from science becomes highly problematic.

Science is fascinating and useful as far as our comfort goes, but is sorely unable to answer the why questions. It's not a 'lack of truth' claim but a claim of incompleteness. So, it is incomplete as well as not addressing all aspects of our experience.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend lunamoth,

Models and Doctrines and God

The effort is highly apapreciated.
To try and explain something unexplainable but eventually any models is based om hypothesis and pemises eg. In the models you have taken god to be something, first of all what is god is not taken into consideration. One may take god to be the creator but personally existence has been even before humans developed the concept of god. Existence will still be there even after humans evolve to higher species.
There is no possibily to know about unlimitless in any limited models, the only way is to set the mind free and be one with the unlimtless entity and just BE!
Love & rgds

lunamoth

Will to love
Friend lunamoth,

The effort is highly apapreciated.
To try and explain something unexplainable but eventually any models is based om hypothesis and pemises eg. In the models you have taken god to be something, first of all what is god is not taken into consideration. One may take god to be the creator but personally existence has been even before humans developed the concept of god. Existence will still be there even after humans evolve to higher species.
There is no possibily to know about unlimitless in any limited models, the only way is to set the mind free and be one with the unlimtless entity and just BE!
Love & rgds

OK then! I'll just throw all that in the trash (probably a good move) and stop thinking about it.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend lunamoth,
Maybe you have taken it to heart to react.
No, kindly do what so ever comes naturally without thinking.
When you allow yourself to listen to the inner then you will know what is to be a flow in life what is to be a part of the whole.
Mind matters, well they will be there and it is upto us how best to use them.
Love & rgds