• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missouri Rule Change Would Allow Senators to Challenge Each Other to a Duel

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Dueling is an old tradition. I think Andrew Jackson was involved in a few duels. Alexander Hamilton was killed in a duel.

Thankfully, duels have since been outlawed, but now someone wants to bring it back.

So, they get to choose weapons. They could choose pillows and have a pillow fight, I suppose.

It seems there's been a bit of a row in the Missouri legislature.

I see this as yet another indication of the overall growing insanity, but I suppose our culture has had a certain fascination with dueling - at least as sometimes portrayed in popular culture. Like the gunfighters of the Old West or the heroic knights battling it out with swords. Being the home of Jesse James, I suppose Missouri has its own history in that regard.

Not that I have any room to talk about Missouri, since my own state has its issues. But still, this is just insane.

Can you imagine the epitaph of the loser of a duel for leadership of the Senate?

"Second-fastest draw in America."

Heyo

Veteran Member

Dueling is an old tradition. I think Andrew Jackson was involved in a few duels. Alexander Hamilton was killed in a duel.

Thankfully, duels have since been outlawed, but now someone wants to bring it back.

So, they get to choose weapons. They could choose pillows and have a pillow fight, I suppose.

I see this as yet another indication of the overall growing insanity, but I suppose our culture has had a certain fascination with dueling - at least as sometimes portrayed in popular culture. Like the gunfighters of the Old West or the heroic knights battling it out with swords. Being the home of Jesse James, I suppose Missouri has its own history in that regard.

Not that I have any room to talk about Missouri, since my own state has its issues. But still, this is just insane.
Another indicator that the GOP is so regressive that they don't want to go back to the '50s but the 1850s.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Another indicator that the GOP is so regressive that they don't want to go back to the '50s but the 1850s.

Back to the days of the wild west.

44567657-1969-441d-a350-54725faff709_text.gif

c2b2993b-89a0-4114-aa0d-e88a644d667c_text.gif

"Law don't go around here. Savvy?"

JIMMY12345

Could they not organise a football match instead?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I found the page outlining the suggested set of rules, I think...looks interesting.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
It's high time we saw a return of such manly virtue. Although the right to duel should be reserved for persons in high office. I would also like to see a return of jousting contests. For too long has the west lacked that aristocratic spirit of old Europe.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's high time we saw a return of such manly virtue. Although the right to duel should be reserved for persons in high office. I would also like to see a return of jousting contests. For too long has the west lacked that aristocratic spirit of old Europe.

I think they should have a football game. Instead of actually doing violence against each other, rivals might engage in some sort of game or athletic contest as an alternative.

c0051537-2f36-4cfb-9659-1fbd9e18a467_text.gif