• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi Governor Proclaims Confederate Heritage Month

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Jesus was brilliant. He handled the Pharisees and Romans with great finesse. He was sort of a smart ***. When I reread the Gospels a few years ago (and I highly encourage everyone to read or reread them - they aren't a hard read and it didn't take that long) I was really struck by how Jesus' words were so few and yet so strong. I guess somewhere along the way, I had bought into the idea of a meek and mild Jesus, and He really wasn't like that in my opinion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Jesus was brilliant. He handled the Pharisees and Romans with great finesse. He was sort of a smart ***. When I reread the Gospels a few years ago (and I highly encourage everyone to read or reread them - they aren't a hard read and it didn't take that long) I was really struck by how Jesus' words were so few and yet so strong. I guess somewhere along the way, I had bought into the idea of a meek and mild Jesus, and He really wasn't like that in my opinion.
Do you think he'd approve of celebrating
Confederate heritage, warts & all?

Pogo

In love when leftists fancy themselves bible scholars. Does love your neighbor as yourself mean let people do whatever they want? Love your enemies means let your enemies destroy you? Turn the other cheek means you can be abused? Treat others the way you want to be treated means people can do whatever they like to you? I notice people only listen to half the message. Disagreement= hatred right?
They may not all be leftists, but

Survey: Atheists, Agnostics Know More About Religion Than Religious

Ignatius A

First it's NPR. Laughable. Even 25 year employees of NPR know that NPR has lost the confidence of the American people. Next so what? It's not as if the knowledge atheists of agnostics any good. Most often their interpretation of Scripture is selective. I especially like when they imply loving people means letting people do whatever they like without a word of correction. That's my all time favorite.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Two reasons, one is that they used to be religious and the better one understands a religion the more likely one is to drop it. That is why in biblical historians so often become atheists. Atheists did not become atheists on a whim. Or because they "hate God". It is usually due to following logic and reason and realizing that one cannot force one to believe the self contradictory.

Second, self defense. When one is attacked by the religious one has to know their flaws to protect oneself from them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Atheists did not become atheists on a whim. Or because they "hate God". It is usually due to following logic and reason and realizing that one cannot force one to believe the self contradictory.
Actually that's usually atheists who started out theists.
There are atheists who are atheists because they weren't really brought up with religion. Studies have not found this group to share in the same levels of logic and reason that apostate atheists are known for.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Politics is often about ethics & morality.
A government that celebrates a history
of enslaving humans & violent treason
is such a case.
OK. Look, I live in Ohio and as I've said before, one reason I LOVE it is because it played a big role in the Underground Railroad. I also love that it is a former Union state.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Kathryn...
Do you believe that politics doesn't deal with morality or ethics?
Note that I'm well aware that much of it is for power & personal
gain, but what of the politics of civil rights, abortion rights, gun
rights, speech rights, etc, etc? I sense a dismissal of such concerns.

Pogo

First it's NPR. Laughable. Even 25 year employees of NPR know that NPR has lost the confidence of the American people. Next so what? It's not as if the knowledge atheists of agnostics any good. Most often their interpretation of Scripture is selective. I especially like when they imply loving people means letting people do whatever they like without a word of correction. That's my all time favorite.
The source though you no doubt will dismiss it as well.
You are a good example of a Christian who doesn't understand their source material.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually that's usually atheists who started out theists.
There are atheists who are atheists because they weren't really brought up with religion. Studies have not found this group to share in the same levels of logic and reason that apostate atheists are known for.
Then perhaps the answer might be more self defense than anything else. Understanding the flaws in the reasoning of those that attack can be very useful. Which is probably why western atheists are better informed about Christianity than any other religion. For example in the US the odds of a Hindu claiming that they are "damned" by their religion, or whatever their equivalent is, would not have almost no threat of violence behind it since the Hindu's are an even smaller minority.