• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missionaries

Do you think there is a need for them?

Would they do good?

I think they are good but this is not very hindu. We never ones to force, but we indus have to spread our word. The problem is the western world would kick up a fuss if hindus went to convert. But when they go to africa t othose not very clever tribal people, they world accepts it!

What would be the right asction?

Pariah

Let go
Hinduism is not a unified religion. It houses thousands of sects which dissent based on solid philosophical differences - if some want to, let them. ISKCON does it.

If they do, they should do it uncompromisingly. That is, regardless of what others think of them.

celina

Swaminarayan is GOD!
Im going to convert you now...hehe

BAPS has missionaries and Preacher of Lord Swaminarayan's word
I'm definately ok with having missionaries promote hinduism and the Swaminarayan faith in particular :D. BAPS has nothing against it. Our Chicago BAPS chapter is consider starting a missionary school, to train missionaries to send internationally. I remember my cousin consulting a senior Sadhu(when Pramukh was in town) about the idea. He had no objections, whatever way you can distribute Lord Swaminarayan's word.

celina

Swaminarayan is GOD!
Do you think there is a need for them?

Would they do good?

I think they are good but this is not very hindu. We never ones to force, but we indus have to spread our word. The problem is the western world would kick up a fuss if hindus went to convert. But when they go to africa t othose not very clever tribal people, they world accepts it!

What would be the right asction?
Contrary to popular belief Hindusim can be pro-conversion. There are many sects and sub-branches of hinduism, some are pro-conversion some aren't.There missionaries who spread the words of hinduim. I think it depends what branch of hinduism you're talking about, Vaishnavism is very pro-conversion.

celina

Swaminarayan is GOD!
Other than Gaudiya Vaishnavism, I don't know of any other centers that aggressively convert internationally.
some Swaminarayan sects have missionaries in Africa for decades. Sri Vaishnava group i've also heard have missionaries too.

I think hindusim needs to really spread their word, toerwise extinction is looking liek a possibility.
:meditate:What do you mean, hinduism as you call it but sanatana dharma and extinction is not likely to happen you can thank Srila Prabhupada for that as well as others.:eek:m:..........ps: and i mean on a sultle level and spirtual level not the gross level.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I think it will be a good idea because there are these lazy Hindus who don't give a damn, they never went to a Mandir, they never enquired about their religion, so when others come to their homes and say, "This is the way to God," they accept it because they don't know anything about their own religion!

I think missionaries are good for informational purposes, so if it's done it should be done in a way where Hinduism is not pushed onto others. Hindus don't really try to convert because we see all religions as leading to the same destination anyway, yet still we are firm to our Dharma...just like how Ghandi said that he will open the windows of his home to allow breeze to blow in from all directions but he will not be blown off his feet.

celina

Swaminarayan is GOD!
I think it will be a good idea because there are these lazy Hindus who don't give a damn, they never went to a Mandir, they never enquired about their religion, so when others come to their homes and say, "This is the way to God," they accept it because they don't know anything about their own religion!

I think missionaries are good for informational purposes, so if it's done it should be done in a way where Hinduism is not pushed onto others. Hindus don't really try to convert because we see all religions as leading to the same destination anyway, yet still we are firm to our Dharma...just like how Ghandi said that he will open the windows of his home to allow breeze to blow in from all directions but he will not be blown off his feet.

I really don't believe all religions are the same or lead to the same destination. I just think that's the typical party line hindus use, because they're to lazy to explain there religion, or don't know how. All religions are not the same. If one religion says you can eat meat, gamble or drink it is not dharmic. If it tells you to worship a false god it's not dharmic. Hinduism has it's ideals people are suppose to live up to, it's not some hippy free for all cult. You just do what you want or make something up. Again people don't know this because they don't bother to look.

I also think the foundation needs to be hindu schools. :cool:

mahesh

In the orthodox Swaminarayan Sampraday which Swaminarayan Bhagwan Himself established, the missionairies are the saints. they have been given diksha by the Acharya as Swaminarayan Bhagwan stated for them. They can then preach the word of God. they dont force it upon upon people though. As thats not whats needed all that is needed is awareness, then it is up to the individual to act upon it.

Jai Swaminarayan.

Pariah

Let go
I really don't believe all religions are the same or lead to the same destination. I just think that's the typical party line hindus use, because they're to lazy to explain there religion, or don't know how. All religions are not the same. If one religion says you can eat meat, gamble or drink it is not dharmic. If it tells you to worship a false god it's not dharmic. Hinduism has it's ideals people are suppose to live up to, it's not some hippy free for all cult. You just do what you want or make something up. Again people don't know this because they don't bother to look.

I also think the foundation needs to be hindu schools. :cool:

Well said. I have never heard this from Hindus but it seems the pride has kicked in as of late. In the same way that Muslims use their Mosques and madrassahs to teach their kids, so should Hindus do the same.

It certainly is not a free for all cult. Well said.