• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad vs Bahaullah..who is the real Mahdi..

raph

Salam alaikum :)

The apostles were Jews and regarded themselves as Jews. To me, it is inconceivable they would have attributed divinity to Jesus in the sense that the Greeks did although Greek mythological influences did penetrate some Jewish traditions. The first commandment in the Torah states that Thee shall worship thy God alone Yahweh and none other. Christians today, as did the Greeks and Romans, worship Christ.

Yes because christians have gone astray. The Bible is a true book, and it does not say, that Jesus is YHWH incarnate. Jesus is the image of the invisible God. That is the meaning of divinity, that I apply to Jesus (&Baha'u'llah).

Abdul Baha:
"This book is the Holy Book of God, of celestial Inspiration. It is the Bible of Salvation, the Noble Gospel. It is the mystery of the Kingdom and its light. It is the Divine Bounty, the sign of the guidance of God."

Baha'u'llah
We have also heard a number of the foolish of the earth assert that the genuine text of the heavenly Gospel doth not exist amongst the Christians, that it hath ascended unto heaven. How grievously they have erred! How oblivious of the fact that such a statement imputeth the gravest injustice and tyranny to a gracious and loving Providence! How could God, when once the Day-star of the beauty of Jesus had disappeared from the sight of His people, and ascended unto the fourth heaven, cause His holy Book, His most great testimony amongst His creatures, to disappear also? What would be left to that people to cling to from the setting of the day-star of Jesus until the rise of the sun of the Muḥammadan Dispensation? What law could be their stay and guide? How could such people be made the victims of the avenging wrath of God, 90 the omnipotent Avenger? How could they be afflicted with the scourge of chastisement by the heavenly King? Above all, how could the flow of the grace of the All-Bountiful be stayed? How could the ocean of His tender mercies be stilled? We take refuge with God, from that which His creatures have fancied about Him! Exalted is He above their comprehension!

Jesus is referring to the 82 Psalms verse 6: "I have said ye are gods, all of ye are the children of the most high".
In that sense, Moses, Jesus, Mohammad and Baha'u'llah are also God.
Worshiping prophets has never been the case in the Abrahamic tradition and such interpretations are anathema in Judaism and Islam. Quranic text clearly condemns the popular Christian notion on the divinity of Jesus.
Worship of God through messengers has been a tradition, since Jesus came. People are worshipping him in the Gospels. Of course you can deny the authenticity. Dont Muslims believe, that God will come to earth in the day of resurrection? This happened with Baha'u'llah in this day, which is the day of resurrection.

I believe the apostles never applied divinity to Christ in the sense Christians do today. The early Christian historian Hegesippus has written that the Jewish authorities in Jerusalem had asked St. James to use his influence in stopping the preaching that Jesus was the Messiah. The text reads, "we entreat you, restrain the people, for they have gone astray in regards to Jesus, as if he were the Christ (Messiah)". Now if the apostles believed in the divinity of Jesus and preached it, then this text would have said to stop them from preaching that Jesus is God, which is far greater violation for jews than calling him Messiah.

It is your right to think that. But in my opinion the Bible tells a very different story, and you have to reject the Bible, to believe what you believe.
For example, the 11 apostels agreed, that Paul is true from God. And Paul wrote, that Jesus is like God. The Bible is very clear, that Jesus is not just a normal human, but God himself in a way. But Jesus is not God incarnate, like the christians think. Thats what the Quran rejects. Jesus and other rasouls are manifestations of God, the image of the invisible, exalted Allah.

Baha'u'llah
Know thou of a certainty that the Unseen can in no wise incarnate His Essence and reveal it unto men. He is, and hath ever been, immensely exalted beyond all that can either be recounted or perceived. From His retreat of glory His voice is ever proclaiming: "Verily, I am God; there is none other God besides Me, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise. I have manifested Myself unto men, and have sent down Him Who is the Day Spring of the signs of My Revelation. Through Him I have caused all creation to testify that there is none other God except Him, the Incomparable, the All-Informed, the All-Wise." He Who is everlastingly hidden from the eyes of men can never be known except through His Manifestation, and His Manifestation can adduce no greater proof of the truth of His Mission than the proof of His own Person

Jesus was Messiah only to the Israelites, I believe nor he nor the apostles ever sanctioned a different teaching for the gentiles. The Hellenized and Romanized version of the Gospels and Christianity you see today is also found by pagan traditions such as "Easter" based on the germanic goddess 'Ostara' for spring-time freshness and fertility symbolized by the eggs and rabbits fused in with the doctrine of resurrection.

In the Bible, the apostels indeed sanctioned a different gospel for the gentiles. Peter agreed, that jew need to still be circumsized, while gentiles don't need to do it. These are verses, that you quoted to me. That's what the Bible says, and if you don't believe in the Bible, by what proof are you rejecting the idea?

Eater bunnies and Christmas trees are not in the Bible. As I said, the churches have perverted the word of God in the Bible. That's one of the reasons, why the Holy Muhammad came and criticized the christians.

So, given your defense of Paul and contemporary Christianity, I have a question-- I have come across statements about Bahais relating to Bahaullah as God in a similar sense to how Christians consider Christ as God. But I would like to ask a Bahai how true is this, and if you would like to present your point of view.

Most christians believe, that Jesus is YHWH incarnate. This means, that God went into Jesus, felt what He felt, died as He died and so on. Above you can see, that Bahai's don't believe that. Bahais believe in the concept of "Manifestation" (like some christians also do).

This means, that for example Muhammad, Jesus or Baha'u'llah was a human. But all of God's attributes were manifest in Them. They were not God, but they were a clear mirror, that manifested God into this world. Their speech was from God, their walk was from God, their sleep was from God, their actions were from God. They were 100% aligned with God's will, so we can say, that we see God in them.

Baha'u'llah
Were any of the all-embracing Manifestations of God to declare: "I am God," He, verily, speaketh the truth, and no doubt attacheth thereto. For it hath been repeatedly demonstrated that through their Revelation, their attributes and names, the Revelation of God, His names and His attributes, are made manifest in the world. Thus, He hath revealed: "Those shafts were God's, not Thine." And also He saith: "In truth, they who plighted fealty unto Thee, really plighted that fealty unto God." And were any of them to voice the utterance, "I am the Messenger of God," He, also, speaketh the truth, the indubitable truth. Even as He saith: "Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but He is the Messenger of God." Viewed in this light, they are all but Messengers of that ideal King, that unchangeable Essence. And were they all to proclaim, "I am the Seal of the Prophets," they, verily, utter but the truth, beyond the faintest shadow of doubt. For they are all but one person, one soul, one spirit, one being, one revelation. They are all the manifestation of the "Beginning" and the "End," the "First" and the "Last," the "Seen" and "Hidden" -- all of which pertain to Him Who is the Innermost Spirit of Spirits and Eternal Essence of Essences. And were they to say, "We are the Servants of God," this also is a manifest and indisputable fact. For they have been made manifest in the uttermost state of servitude, a servitude the like of which no man can possibly attain. Thus in moments in which these Essences of Being were deep immersed beneath the oceans of ancient and everlasting holiness, or when they soared to the loftiest summits of Divine mysteries, they claimed their utterances to be the Voice of Divinity, the Call of God Himself.

Also, related, is it true that Bahais pray and prostrate in the direction of Bahaullah's grave?
Yes, our Qibla is Baha'u'llahs shrine. Just as Allah has changed the Qibla in Muhammad day, He has changed the Qibla again in Baha'u'llahs day. Also He changed the place of pilgrimage from Mekka to Haifa. (I doubt, that muslims would let us visit Mekkah, so it is kinda logical)

Last edited:

ameraz1

Amer
Walaikum Salaam (And Peace be Unto You)

In that sense, Moses, Jesus, Mohammad and Baha'u'llah are also God.

Worship of God through messengers has been a tradition, since Jesus came. People are worshipping him in the Gospels. Of course you can deny the authenticity. Dont Muslims believe, that God will come to earth in the day of resurrection? This happened with Baha'u'llah in this day, which is the day of resurrection.

Any reference to godhood with the messengers is very rare in Islam and Judaism and there is no doctrine or centrality on the concept. The concept such as in the verse of Psalms is only taken in the sense that messengers from God are backed by God’s power and divine will. On the contrary, messengers from God are clearly delineated as humans with no share in divinity. This is the first commandment in Torah and the first article of faith in Islam. The Quran repeatedly says that prophets are not God, even to Muhammad (pbuh) it says that you are not a keeper or a watcher over anyone—your mission is the plain delivery of the message from God. Any reference to godhood must reconcile to this and is not central or fundamental.

If worshipping messengers is worshipping God since Jesus (pbuh), what about before? Why there is no tradition of it in Old Testament? Why not in Islam? I do deny the authenticity of this tradition which I have explained came about with Greek and Roman influences. Muslims do not believe that God will come to earth manifested as a human. Also, Muslims believe day of resurrection is when the dead are raised to life for the accounting and reward/punishment.

It seems the fundamental doctrine of God manifesting as humans is prevalent in Hinduism, Christianity, and now Bahai. I can only logically conclude that Bahais must consider Islamic doctrine of Unity of God as errant and lean more to the Christian doctrine of divinity of Christ.

It is your right to think that. But in my opinion the Bible tells a very different story, and you have to reject the Bible, to believe what you believe. For example, the 11 apostels agreed, that Paul is true from God. And Paul wrote, that Jesus is like God. The Bible is very clear, that Jesus is not just a normal human, but God himself in a way. But Jesus is not God incarnate, like the christians think. Thats what the Quran rejects. Jesus and other rasouls are manifestations of God, the image of the invisible, exalted Allah.

In the Bible, the apostels indeed sanctioned a different gospel for the gentiles. Peter agreed, that jew need to still be circumsized, while gentiles don't need to do it. These are verses, that you quoted to me. That's what the Bible says, and if you don't believe in the Bible, by what proof are you rejecting the idea?

Easter bunnies and Christmas trees are not in the Bible. As I said, the churches have perverted the word of God in the Bible. That's one of the reasons, why the Holy Muhammad came and criticized the christians.

I have already stated what I believe to be the history of the Bible. This does not mean wholesale rejection but yes I do reject what I see as contradicting Quran and has a history with Paul and the Greeks/Romans. There are other Gospel traditions, such as the 4th century Nag Hammadi texts that were hidden due to the campaign of church to destroy texts that didn’t agree with this doctrine of divinity. In Gospel of Thomas, Jesus clearly states that “light is within you”, he doesn’t say “I am the light”. In my view, these Gospels are just as authentic as any other. The Nicean creed has no bearing nor regard with myself nor any other Muslim. Paul was never an apostle under Jesus, his epistles say next to nothing about the life and teachings of Jesus himself. Never in history has a prophet/messenger sanctioned someone they never knew after departing the scene and tell them that they preach a different doctrine/gospel to a different group of people per their psychologies and background.

In my view the apostles would never have sanctioned a different gospel for the gentiles. Any religious leader who does something like that is questionable saying preach to the Jews that he is Messiah and preach to the gentiles that he is a manifestation of God putting out a different fundamental doctrine in each case. The prophet Muhammad (pbuh) never used a different concept for the pagans, a different one for the Jews of Arabia, and a different one for the Christians. He addressed all with one concept of indivisible Unity of Allah, no matter what their background or fundamental doctrine on divinity. Neither did Jesus who was Messiah to the Israelites addressing them with same Unity of Yahweh.

Yes, our Qibla is Baha'u'llahs shrine. Just as Allah has changed the Qibla in Muhammad day, He has changed the Qibla again in Baha'u'llahs day. Also He changed the place of pilgrimage from Mekka to Haifa. (I doubt, that muslims would let us visit Mekkah, so it is kinda logical)

Praying to Bahaullah’s shire again reflects the difference in fundamental doctrines on divinity between Islam and Bahai. Yes, the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) changed the Qibla, but he never changed the fundamental and we do not prostrate to his shrine nor the shrine of any other prophet.

arthra

Baha'i
Ameraz wrote: "Any reference to godhood with the messengers is very rare in Islam and Judaism..."

Probably "Godhead" through the Messengers might be more accurate way to phrase it. Prayers are often focused on the Messenger with the understanding that They have access.. Intermediary access.. Consider:

Abu Sulayman ad-Darani said, "If someone wants to ask Allah for a need, he should begin with the prayer on the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) then ask Allah for his need, and then seal it with the prayer on the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace. Allah will accept the two prayers, and is too generous to omit what is between the two."

Ameraz wrote: "Praying to Bahaullah’s shire again reflects the difference in fundamental doctrines on divinity between Islam and Bahai. Yes, the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) changed the Qibla, but he never changed the fundamental and we do not prostrate to his shrine nor the shrine of any other prophet."

If you are curious about the Qiblih you ask about it...

When we face the Qiblih it is not simply "praying to Baha'u'llah"...

Consider the prayer itself while facing the Qiblih:

Then let him stand up, and facing the Qiblih (Point of
Adoration, i.e. Bahji, 'Akká), let him say:

God testifieth that there is none other God but
Him. His are the kingdoms of Revelation and of
creation. He, in truth, hath manifested Him Who is
the Dayspring of Revelation, Who conversed on Sinai,
through Whom the Supreme Horizon hath been made
to shine, and the Lote-Tree beyond which there is no
passing hath spoken, and through Whom the call hath
been proclaimed unto all who are in heaven and on
earth: "Lo, the All-Possessing is come. Earth and
heaven, glory and dominion are God's, the Lord of all
men, and the Possessor of the Throne on high and of
earth below!"

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 99)

seeking4truth

One means of assessing whether a claimant is true is to look how God supports him during his own lifetime. The evidence of those who live with such men before their claims is very important too.
God does not allow those He chooses to be disgraced, they are of the highest moral character and integrity and God protects them from disgrace even though they are always abused after making their claims.

So, for me, in order to choose it is necessary to look both at the personal life of the claimant and the success of the claim afterwards, ie through the community founded.
This is of course in addition to all the usual searches for meaning in what they teach.

ameraz1

Amer
One means of assessing whether a claimant is true is to look how God supports him during his own lifetime. The evidence of those who live with such men before their claims is very important too.
God does not allow those He chooses to be disgraced, they are of the highest moral character and integrity and God protects them from disgrace even though they are always abused after making their claims.

So, for me, in order to choose it is necessary to look both at the personal life of the claimant and the success of the claim afterwards, ie through the community founded.
This is of course in addition to all the usual searches for meaning in what they teach.

Excellent point, and one that is validated by this verse of the Holy Quran . . .

Say, ‘If Allah had so willed, I should not have recited it to you nor would He have made it known to you. I have indeed lived among you a whole lifetime before this. Will you not then understand?’ Who is then more unjust than he who forges a lie against Allah or he who treats His Signs as lies? Surely, the guilty shall never prosper.(Chapter 10 Verses 17-18)

arthra

Baha'i
Do Bahais believe that Jesus (pbuh) resurrected back to life after death on the cross?

Thanks for the question Ameraz!

Baha'is believe the resurrection of Christ was spiritual...not physical.

"Concerning the resurrection of Christ, he wishes to call your attention to the fact that in this as well as in practically all the so-called miraculous events recorded in the Gospel we should, as Bahá'ís, seek to find a spiritual meaning and to entirely discard the physical interpretation attached to them by many of the Christian sects. The resurrection of Christ was, indeed, not physical but essentially spiritual, and is symbolic of the truth that the reality of man is to be found not in his physical constitution, but in his soul. A careful perusal of the Íqán' and of the 'Some Answered Questions' makes this indubitably clear."

(From a letter written to an individual believer on behalf of the Guardian, August 14, 1934)

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 492)

The "Guardian" in this case refers to Shoghi Effendi.

ameraz1

Amer
Thanks for the question Ameraz!

Baha'is believe the resurrection of Christ was spiritual...not physical.

"Concerning the resurrection of Christ, he wishes to call your attention to the fact that in this as well as in practically all the so-called miraculous events recorded in the Gospel we should, as Bahá'ís, seek to find a spiritual meaning and to entirely discard the physical interpretation attached to them by many of the Christian sects. The resurrection of Christ was, indeed, not physical but essentially spiritual, and is symbolic of the truth that the reality of man is to be found not in his physical constitution, but in his soul. A careful perusal of the Íqán' and of the 'Some Answered Questions' makes this indubitably clear."

(From a letter written to an individual believer on behalf of the Guardian, August 14, 1934)

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 492)

The "Guardian" in this case refers to Shoghi Effendi.

Thank you

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Hi. I'm a Baha'i but I agree with what someone else said here that it is your decision. Only you can decide that.